Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

War Tigers Get One

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
War Tigers Get One
« on: July 03, 2023, 02:29:03 PM »
From Auburn Undercover

Coming off a monster 2023 season at Sacred Heart when he was named the NEC Player of the Year and a second-team All-American by Collegiate Baseball, infielder Sam Mongelli is headed to Auburn to play his final season of college baseball after committing to Butch Thompson’s Tigers on Wednesday afternoon over a host of other programs, including schools like Mississippi State and Vanderbilt. He announced his decision Friday night, giving Auburn another huge commitment for the 2024 class.

"I just talked to coach Thompson, (Karl) Nonemaker, and (Gabe) Gross, and told them I’m coming to Auburn," Mongelli confirmed to Auburnundercover on Wednesday. "Super excited and super happy with the decision. I know it’s the right fit for me.

"Culture-wise and competition-wise, they are a group of guys that really want to get to Omaha and win the thing. That's something that drives me every day. That's something I want to achieve in my life before I'm done. I know how much of a passion they have to get there and to win it. It lit a fire under me. I knew it was the right fit for sure."

Starting 55 games, Mongelli batted .402 with 20 home runs, 16 doubles and 54 runs batted in. He also added 22 stolen bases and had an on-base percentage of .495. As a junior he hit .304 with five home runs and six doubles in 138 at-bats.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: War Tigers Get One
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2023, 04:42:54 PM »
From Auburn Undercover

Coming off a monster 2023 season at Sacred Heart when he was named the NEC Player of the Year and a second-team All-American by Collegiate Baseball, infielder Sam Mongelli is headed to Auburn to play his final season of college baseball after committing to Butch Thompson’s Tigers on Wednesday afternoon over a host of other programs, including schools like Mississippi State and Vanderbilt. He announced his decision Friday night, giving Auburn another huge commitment for the 2024 class.

"I just talked to coach Thompson, (Karl) Nonemaker, and (Gabe) Gross, and told them I’m coming to Auburn," Mongelli confirmed to Auburnundercover on Wednesday. "Super excited and super happy with the decision. I know it’s the right fit for me.

"Culture-wise and competition-wise, they are a group of guys that really want to get to Omaha and win the thing. That's something that drives me every day. That's something I want to achieve in my life before I'm done. I know how much of a passion they have to get there and to win it. It lit a fire under me. I knew it was the right fit for sure."

Starting 55 games, Mongelli batted .402 with 20 home runs, 16 doubles and 54 runs batted in. He also added 22 stolen bases and had an on-base percentage of .495. As a junior he hit .304 with five home runs and six doubles in 138 at-bats.

I gotta say, I watched a lot of college baseball this season and enjoyed it far more than I expected. 

I'd like to win one of them World Series things.  Auburn lacked a couple of pieces this year, but then again, the SEC is absolutely brutal.  I really thought when we beat the bloody pulp out of an LSU team that was destined to win it all (something I predicted about a week into the season) there was a chance to make some noise in the tournament. I got it in my head there was a legit shot to get to Nebraska.  And then the bats died.

I like hearing we're getting a good infielder with what looks like a huge bat.  I'd love to see AU hit the portal for some decent arms.  It'll be hard to compete with LSU there, though.     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2023, 05:06:25 PM »
I gotta say, I watched a lot of college baseball this season and enjoyed it far more than I expected. 

I'd like to win one of them World Series things.  Auburn lacked a couple of pieces this year, but then again, the SEC is absolutely brutal.  I really thought when we beat the bloody pulp out of an LSU team that was destined to win it all (something I predicted about a week into the season) there was a chance to make some noise in the tournament. I got it in my head there was a legit shot to get to Nebraska.  And then the bats died.

I like hearing we're getting a good infielder with what looks like a huge bat.  I'd love to see AU hit the portal for some decent arms.  It'll be hard to compete with LSU there, though.   

Midway through the season, it looked like our pitching was overmatched.  Coming down the stretch, they went 13-4, winning 5 straight series.  The pitching suddenly looked top shelf, and the bats were on fire.  Then, you're right, the bats took a dirt nap come tourney time.

One thing I noticed, especially in the finals.  LSU may have had the best pitcher in baseball, with Skeene. (sp?) But both Gusty Gaytah and LSU had line ups of absolute all bangers.  Seemed like every guy coming up to the plate had sick numbers you don't normally see in college baseball.

We get a Sonny DiChiara that comes along once in a blue moon.  LSU and Gusty each had 4-5 guys putting up those numbers.  BTW, he's sucking ASS in the minor leages. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2023, 06:45:37 PM »
Midway through the season, it looked like our pitching was overmatched.  Coming down the stretch, they went 13-4, winning 5 straight series.  The pitching suddenly looked top shelf, and the bats were on fire.  Then, you're right, the bats took a dirt nap come tourney time.

One thing I noticed, especially in the finals.  LSU may have had the best pitcher in baseball, with Skeene. (sp?) But both Gusty Gaytah and LSU had line ups of absolute all bangers.  Seemed like every guy coming up to the plate had sick numbers you don't normally see in college baseball.

We get a Sonny DiChiara that comes along once in a blue moon.  LSU and Gusty each had 4-5 guys putting up those numbers.  BTW, he's sucking ASS in the minor leages.

Skenes was a machine.  There was no real indication he'd be that dominant when he came over from the Air Force.  Yeah, he was something like 10-3 with a like a 3 ERA, but something turned him into a completely dominant force by the end of the season. Damn near unhittable.

For all the hype Crews got, I never really saw the appeal.  He was turds on fire in the series.   There was a time he piled up hits, but I honestly don't see his dink and dunk style bearing out in the majors. 

I also don't think all the interchangeable fat-boy bros will go very far either.  Cooper, Beloso, White... Those guys looked like a bunch of Bama softball players.

But you're right.  Florida, Vandy, Tennessee (they'll blow it like they always do with that ass-rag hot-headed coach), and others are and remain loaded.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.