Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Pirata No Mas

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Pirata No Mas
« on: December 13, 2022, 10:10:15 AM »
As many may have heard, the old pirate, Coach Mike Leach, passed away today from his heart attack on Sunday.

I will miss the guy's interviews and thoughts on many subjects. I think he was the one coach many refused to hate.

https://www.newsmax.com/us/mississippi-state-football-coach/2022/12/13/id/1100285/
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 10:14:33 AM by CCTAU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
GH2001,
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Pirata No Mas
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 10:17:13 AM »
Loved the guy. Never quite wanted him on the Plains just simply because of his extreme eccentric nature and how that would fit into the Auburn fanbase (at the time anyway), but I loved the guy being somewhere, anywhere in P5 CFB. He was a national treasure and as honest as they came. That crap at TT really railroaded him unfairly IMHO but glad he was able to go to WSU and MSU and have success at both before his time came. He went out with a winning record, bowl birth, win over his rival, and on top. Can't ask for better than that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 10:56:25 AM »
Somewhere Craig James is smiling.

Idiot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 11:39:26 AM »
Somewhere Craig James is smiling.

Idiot.

the irony there is how Craig James was at the center of the biggest CFB scandal is modern history (debatable with Penn State I guess now). Dude had a lot of nerve at the time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 01:38:52 PM »
So now the debate begins.  College Hall of Fame has a threshold for coaches.  Winning % of .600. He has 158 wins in 265 games.  That's .596. 

I know you were told there would be no math, but do 159 wins.

The bigger question, to me, is whether he deserves a spot in the Hall of Fame regardless of the narrowness of the threshold. 

Pros:
>Resurrected some moribund programs, took them places they weren't accustomed to being
>Did some quirky, innovative things on offense
>Was a good interview. Never knew what he was going to say or do

Cons:
>Winning percentage over his career got worse and worse.  Good at Texas Tech, not as good at WSU and barely treading water at MSU (19-17).  Joe Moorhead was 14-12 and got run slap out of town
> Consistency.  Could almost always count on at least one WTF? win and at least one WTF? loss with his teams.  This season alone, destroy Arkansas and A&M and then flop against Kentucky.

I think he was a good guy and fun to watch his teams.   But if I look at it dispassionately I don't see a Hall of Fame resume. 

>Never won his conference.  Tied for first in the division once, at Texas Tech, didn't make the championship game. Tied for first in the division once at WSU, didn't qualify for the championship game.  You know about State.
> Only six of his teams finished in the final Top 25.  Only one was in the Top 10.

If Mike had retired today instead of *the other* I don't think there would be any conversation about Hall of Fame.  Nice guy, decent coach but outside the margin. 

Maybe I'm wrong.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 01:42:29 PM »
The world of College Football is less of a place without him in it.  Probably my favorite coach of all time.  You could always count on a good chuckle from him at halftime or post game.  Like GH, I never wanted him here, but I was glad that he was in the SEC.  I'll keep digging but I once saw a video of him awarding the game ball to a boy with Downs Syndrome who worked with the team, thanking him for all the hard work that he did and all that he did for the team.  He was one of the good ones. 

I still chuckle at his Baylor post game rant to his team about entitlement.  It reminded me of the way our coaches used to talk to us.  You just can't do that now days and it's a damn shame too.  I know that our HS and MS teams could use an ass chewing like that. 

Fat little girlfriends, fish sandwiches and lemonade. 

Gonna miss the hell out of him.   :(
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
GH2001,
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 02:12:20 PM »
So now the debate begins.  College Hall of Fame has a threshold for coaches.  Winning % of .600. He has 158 wins in 265 games.  That's .596. 

I know you were told there would be no math, but do 159 wins.

The bigger question, to me, is whether he deserves a spot in the Hall of Fame regardless of the narrowness of the threshold. 

Pros:
>Resurrected some moribund programs, took them places they weren't accustomed to being
>Did some quirky, innovative things on offense
>Was a good interview. Never knew what he was going to say or do

Cons:
>Winning percentage over his career got worse and worse.  Good at Texas Tech, not as good at WSU and barely treading water at MSU (19-17).  Joe Moorhead was 14-12 and got run slap out of town
> Consistency.  Could almost always count on at least one WTF? win and at least one WTF? loss with his teams.  This season alone, destroy Arkansas and A&M and then flop against Kentucky.

I think he was a good guy and fun to watch his teams.   But if I look at it dispassionately I don't see a Hall of Fame resume. 

>Never won his conference.  Tied for first in the division once, at Texas Tech, didn't make the championship game. Tied for first in the division once at WSU, didn't qualify for the championship game.  You know about State.
> Only six of his teams finished in the final Top 25.  Only one was in the Top 10.

If Mike had retired today instead of *the other* I don't think there would be any conversation about Hall of Fame.  Nice guy, decent coach but outside the margin. 

Maybe I'm wrong.

I tend to agree but I will say the MSU record has context with Moorhead's.

Moorhead took over a fairly solid program from Mullen and the trajectory just went down compared to what Mullen did.

Leach took over a morbid program from Moorhead and the trajectory tended to trend up, even as recently as spanking Lane the Brat in the Egg Bowl (in the rain no less which severely hampers the Air Raid).

That seemed to be the MO anywhere he went. It took him a few seasons at most of his stops but once he got his system players there, he was gold. And the air raid was going to be all or none.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2022, 02:16:27 PM »
That seemed to be the MO anywhere he went. It took him a few seasons at most of his stops but once he got his system players there, he was gold. And the air raid was going to be all or none.

So. Where does MSU go from here?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2022, 02:41:59 PM »

I would have to imagine they would hire Arnett to be HC.  It was rumored before the Egg Bowl that Leach was considering stepping down after the bowl game and that Arnett would be the front runner.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2022, 03:11:21 PM »

Now THAT would have made for an interesting choice had Deion not went to Colorado. Would they have taken the chance?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2022, 03:59:10 PM »
Now THAT would have made for an interesting choice had Deion not went to Colorado. Would they have taken the chance?
Deion has certainly made overt gestures, indicating that he would love to have the job.

He has worn a golden cowbell around his neck for decades.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2022, 04:17:29 PM »
Deion has certainly made overt gestures, indicating that he would love to have the job.

He has worn a golden cowbell around his neck for decades.
Until that goat stole it
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2022, 04:35:50 PM »
Until that goat stole it
Saban stole it?

Well, ain’t  that some koonga boonga?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2022, 11:31:20 PM »

Brian Hairpin is available.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2022, 05:34:33 AM »

Thinking that Barren Hardashian & his trash can fam need to scoot their asses way further west, maybe to the deserts of New Mexico or Nevada, where nobody gives a shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

chinook

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2022, 10:32:31 AM »

Leach will be rolling in his grave.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2022, 11:10:25 AM »
Thinking that Barren Hardashian & his trash can fam need to scoot their asses way further west, maybe to the deserts of New Mexico or Nevada, where nobody gives a shit.

Y'all see where the fat daughter was sporting a Bammer shirt on the bookgraminstas?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2022, 12:19:17 PM »
Y'all see where the fat daughter was sporting a Bammer shirt on the bookgraminstas?

Show me
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 02:28:40 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2022, 03:11:03 PM »
Lawty, them thighs are Yuuuuge!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."