Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Cast Iron

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Cast Iron
« on: November 15, 2022, 03:56:38 PM »
No, I'm not talking about my physique, but I do have a cooking question.  Do any of you do some cooking in a cast iron skillet?  I've always wanted to, but the truth is, we always come to the conclusion that we have nowhere to store it. We full up. 

However, this weekend, we went to a restaurant where I ordered Dijon/Tarragon Chicken.  It came with smashed potatoes and sauteed spinach.  The description sounded mighty tasty, so I went with it.  It didn't come out that way.

They brought it out in a small cast iron skillet, with the chicken, cut up new potatoes and spinach, cooked all together in the skillet.  The sauce it was cooked in was the F'n shiznitz.  I've already printed out a recipe and plan to do it this week, in the same, one serving sized cast iron skillet I bought Sunday.

Anyone have any tips for cooking in a CIS?  I've heard not to wash it, only wipe it out after use. 

BTW, the sauce for this recipe calls for:

Butter
Olive Oil
Garlic Cloves
Chicken Stock
White Wine
Heavy Cream
Dijon Mustard
Tarragon
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 03:58:25 PM by Snaggletiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Cast Iron
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 04:33:36 PM »
That sounds good. 

My great-grandmother used to say it was just fine to put those things in the dishwasher.  Then again, they didn't even have electricity.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
Members reacted funny:
WiregrassTiger,
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 04:48:28 PM »
That sounds good. 

My great-grandmother used to say it was just fine to put those things in the dishwasher.  Then again, they didn't even have electricity.

I stuck my Johnson in the dishwasher once.

She was not amused.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 05:31:10 PM »

Anyone have any tips for cooking in a CIS?  I've heard not to wash it, only wipe it out after use. 

Correct. Acting like you don't know how to season it or something.

Do you even Blackstone bro?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 08:29:50 PM »
Put a little table salt in the pan while you wipe it down. Gets the taste out of the pan.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2022, 09:51:23 AM »
Wash it if you want.  They're practically indestructible and if you get a little rust, you can burn it off and re-season.

Or get fancy and get the enameled stuff from Le Creuset and play with us big boys.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2022, 12:05:59 PM »
If you just bought the skillet, you will need to season it first.

https://www.marthastewart.com/337376/seasoning-a-skillet
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2022, 11:42:46 AM »
BTW, I did this recipe for the fam last weekend.  Used a regular skillet because I was cooking 5-6 chicken breastesses.  I also substituted rosemary for the tarragon, which I think improved the flava. 

I will go there again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 11:26:17 AM »
Name a Horror flick with 6 words -

Someone washed Grandmas Cast Iron Skillet
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 02:27:29 PM »
2002-2004 we dined at the Blueberry Hill restaurant in Darien, IL (just up the street from Bo's house). They have a killer breakfast with skillet breakfast meals (I use get the Farmer or Luck of the  Irish skillet) comes with 3 buckwheat pancakes. They are not stingy with the food there.

https://order-darien-blueberrybreakfastcafe.brygid.online/zgrid/proc/site/sitemnup.jsp?mnuid_it=541255

https://order-darien-blueberrybreakfastcafe.brygid.online/zgrid/proc/site/sitep.jsp

Otherwise, we use our cast iron skillets a lot. They retain heat better than anything else we've used. I love me some mater gravy and rice (Conecuh sausage rue) along with another one for the cat head biscuits.

I wouldn't doubt it if Bo and family have eaten there.

Over a fire, cooking with cast iron skillets is an art form. Good luck.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2023, 05:40:21 PM »
Tonight, and even better tomorrow has jmar making chicken and dumplings. I roll my dumplings out and kick mine up with lemon juice and fresh parsley to finish.
Crisp cheesy cornbread with chiles, jalapeno slices and sharp cheddar chunks are the side offering.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2023, 05:53:51 PM »
I'm sort if a cast iron freak and make my biscuits on shallow cast iron pans. Have two 10 inch skillets, one for cornbread only and another for steaks and dishes with gravy.
Have a crockpot but the cast iron dutch oven makes for better flavor.

Vinegar and wine for clean up is a must and I season them as needed.
The extra effort is well worth it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2023, 06:14:44 PM »
Name a Horror flick with 6 words -

Someone washed Grandmas Cast Iron Skillet
I went off on my son once for washing one of mine bc I found it in the diswasher. I can put it in a 450 oven to dry and season but if it sits wet without attention rust is inevitable.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2023, 07:42:02 PM »
I'm sort if a cast iron freak and make my biscuits on shallow cast iron pans. Have two 10 inch skillets, one for cornbread only and another for steaks and dishes with gravy.
Have a crockpot but the cast iron dutch oven makes for better flavor.

Vinegar and wine for clean up is a must and I season them as needed.
The extra effort is well worth it.

On the steak, are you a sear on the cast iron and finish in the oven kinda guy?

I’m a green egg slut, but do wanna learn an inside cooking discipline and have been considering the cast iron skillet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

wesfau2

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2023, 09:21:01 PM »
On the steak, are you a sear on the cast iron and finish in the oven kinda guy?

I’m a green egg slut, but do wanna learn an inside cooking discipline and have been considering the cast iron skillet.

Do that in reverse.  Roast/bake in the oven until 10+/- degrees from your desired doneness.  Then put it in a screaming hot pan to sear each side quickly.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Snakebite,
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2023, 09:23:29 AM »
Do that in reverse.  Roast/bake in the oven until 10+/- degrees from your desired doneness.  Then put it in a screaming hot pan to sear each side quickly.

Kinky!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2023, 11:43:34 AM »
Over a fire, cooking with cast iron skillets is an art form. Good luck.

This is true. However most of us prefer to live in something other than a teepee.
SO I'll stick with my indoor stove/oven.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
Members reacted funny:
GH2001,
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2023, 12:04:06 PM »
This is true. However most of us prefer to live in something other than a teepee.
SO I'll stick with my indoor stove/oven.

The Psychiatrist asks his patient, "What seems to be the problem?"

The patient excitedly says, "Sometimes I feel like a teepee, and then sometimes I feel like a wigwam".

The Psychiatrist says, "Calm down, you're two tents."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2023, 01:59:36 PM »

I finally tried this a week or 2 ago.  Had the butter, garlic, and parsley in the pan & spooned it over the steaks as each side seared.  They were pretty incredible.  This was all on stovetop, but next time I am going to try it on the BGE to add a little smoke.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

wesfau2

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2023, 04:13:17 PM »
I finally tried this a week or 2 ago.  Had the butter, garlic, and parsley in the pan & spooned it over the steaks as each side seared.  They were pretty incredible.  This was all on stovetop, but next time I am going to try it on the BGE to add a little smoke.

This is the way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions