Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Homemade Beef Jerky

Homemade Beef Jerky
« on: December 29, 2023, 09:21:30 AM »
As a child & through my teen years, I never would have guessed that I liked playing with so much meat as an adult (ahem).  Eating delicious foods is great and all, but more than anything, I just enjoy the journey & experimentation of it all.  The next evolution of my hobby is trending towards making homemade beef jerky.  If it is worth a shit, I might even try to go sell it to local Farmer's Markets such as Sweet Creek off Merriweather/Troy Hwy & Handey's off HWY 80.  I don't have a dehydrator, so I will be making it work using hickory lump charcoal on the green egg and smoking it.  My plan:

1. Purchase a large Eye of Round Roast & cut into 1" thick steaks (remove all fat possible).
2. Put steaks into freezer for 20-30 min to harden for easier cuts.
3. Cut steaks into 1/4" jerky strips against the grain.
4. Place jerky strips in a bowl that includes: Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Black Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes, Hardcore Carnivore Black, Apple Cider Vinegar, Wash Your Sister Sauce, Soy Sauce, & A-1 Steak Sauce.
5. Let that bowl hang out in the fridge for a good 24 hours.
6. Preheat the Big Green Egg for a steady temp of 175-185 degree range, indirect heat.
7. Place strips on the cold side of the grill and rotate strips every 2 hours or so until desired doneness.

Anyone else have experience making homemade jerky?  If so, what's your method?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Homemade Beef Jerky
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 04:56:10 PM »
That sounds keen. I would try that, but I don't have a sister.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
Re: Homemade Beef Jerky
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 06:42:57 PM »
I enjoy the soy sauce.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.