Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Sledge-O-Matic is No More

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Sledge-O-Matic is No More
« on: November 11, 2022, 12:19:42 PM »
Stand up comedian, Gallagher, passes at 76.  Some of you young whipper snappers may not even know the name.  But, this guy was comedy gold during the late 70's, through the 80's and beyond. His gimmick, that everybody waited for at the end of his act, was to break out the Sledge-O-Matic, and proceed to smash everything from jugs of milk to watermelons, sending it flying all over the audience. Good, not so clean fun.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
Members reacted funny:
bottomfeeder,
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: Sledge-O-Matic is No More
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 12:29:50 PM »
Stand up comedian, Gallagher, passes at 76.  Some of you young whipper snappers may not even know the name.  But, this guy was comedy gold during the late 70's, through the 80's and beyond. His gimmick, that everybody waited for at the end of his act, was to break out the Sledge-O-Matic, and proceed to smash everything from jugs of milk to watermelons, sending it flying all over the audience. Good, not so clean fun.

He came to AU while I was there. Great show.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
Members reacted funny:
bottomfeeder,
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 02:17:23 PM »
I loved him as a kid.

The wordplay was Carlin-lite.  The props were proto-Carrot Top and big-budget.  The Sledge-O-Matic was fun chaos.

Then his life got dark.  Lawsuits with his brother.  His turn to weirdo paranoia.

I'll choose to remember the early years.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 07:35:22 AM »
This is 2022 snags. I’m not sure anyone that remains on this board now is “young”. Chad and all his friends left.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 12:00:50 PM »
This is 2022 snags. I’m not sure anyone that remains on this board now is “young”. Chad and all his friends left.
What about 50 being the new 18?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 02:35:50 PM »
What about 50 being the new 18?

Remember watching the guy on HBO (I think) back in the day.  Liked Carlin, but he was too crude for me then.  Gallagher hit the right level. 

I still ask one of his "hmmm" questions of people.  "Why does a store open 27/7 365 have a LOCK on the door?"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 02:22:34 PM »
He came to AU while I was there. Great show.

But, this guy was comedy gold during the late 70's, through the 80's and beyond.

Damn!  I didn't know you were almost as old as Snaggs! 

:getoff:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022, 02:43:17 PM »
Damn!  I didn't know you were almost as old as Snaggs! 

:getoff:

WHY I OUGHTA....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.