Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

What mystifies me about movies

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
What mystifies me about movies
« on: October 30, 2022, 12:48:10 PM »
Love movies. Love breaking them down, tearing them apart, seeing little things, catching the easter eggs that are hidden throughout. 

Side note: Were you aware that the term Easter Egg for a semi-hidden reference in a film is derived from Rocky Horror Picture Show? That movie was made in England in the spring. During its filming, the cast had an Easter Egg hunt on set for fun. If you look closely you'll see several eggs that weren't found and made their way into the final cut. There are geeks who will try to claim that some video game bullshit was the actual origin of the term, but Rocky Horror was out long before the video game guy, had already developed the cult following with millions watching and the eggs had been noticed.  So those gaming nerds? They are wrong.

What I will never understand is how almost all moviemakers simply cannot portray the actual behavior and relationship of teenagers.  It's like none of them ever went to school or had friends.  Maybe they didn't. 

Stephen King movies are all horrible at realistic teen interactions.

Halloween Ends brought that back for me in a big way.  In that film there's a group of MARCHING BAND bullies that terrorize a main character.  Where the fuck do you find actual marching band bullies?  Of course this group is a perfect blend of ethnicities and genders - a mix that NEVER happens in real life.  Marching band bullies?  For fuck's sake. 

I'm watching Halloween 4 or maybe its 5 or 6 now.  One of them.  There's the prototypical car-loving leather jacket wearing "bad boy" - a person that just doesn't exist outside the realm of Hollywood films. 

There are exceptions.  Breakfast Club was overdone, but had a touch of honesty.  Fast Times reduced it to caricature, but again there was enough of a touch of reality that it wasn't grating.  Dazed and Confused essentially stole parts of my life, but even it was exaggerated to an extent. 

But for the most part movies simply cannot fathom how teenagers behave, interact, express themselves or live.  I wonder why?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 12:50:08 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
jmar,
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

chinook

Re: What mystifies me about movies
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 12:34:42 AM »
…because passing out 31 flavors never really happens?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

Re: What mystifies me about movies
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 08:00:47 PM »
Love movies. Love breaking them down, tearing them apart, seeing little things, catching the easter eggs that are hidden throughout. 

Side note: Were you aware that the term Easter Egg for a semi-hidden reference in a film is derived from Rocky Horror Picture Show? That movie was made in England in the spring. During its filming, the cast had an Easter Egg hunt on set for fun. If you look closely you'll see several eggs that weren't found and made their way into the final cut. There are geeks who will try to claim that some video game bullshit was the actual origin of the term, but Rocky Horror was out long before the video game guy, had already developed the cult following with millions watching and the eggs had been noticed.  So those gaming nerds? They are wrong.

What I will never understand is how almost all moviemakers simply cannot portray the actual behavior and relationship of teenagers.  It's like none of them ever went to school or had friends.  Maybe they didn't. 

Stephen King movies are all horrible at realistic teen interactions.

Halloween Ends brought that back for me in a big way.  In that film there's a group of MARCHING BAND bullies that terrorize a main character.  Where the fuck do you find actual marching band bullies?  Of course this group is a perfect blend of ethnicities and genders - a mix that NEVER happens in real life.  Marching band bullies?  For fuck's sake. 

I'm watching Halloween 4 or maybe its 5 or 6 now.  One of them.  There's the prototypical car-loving leather jacket wearing "bad boy" - a person that just doesn't exist outside the realm of Hollywood films. 

There are exceptions.  Breakfast Club was overdone, but had a touch of honesty.  Fast Times reduced it to caricature, but again there was enough of a touch of reality that it wasn't grating.  Dazed and Confused essentially stole parts of my life, but even it was exaggerated to an extent. 

But for the most part movies simply cannot fathom how teenagers behave, interact, express themselves or live.  I wonder why?
Yeah I don't watch teen movies on account of the failed interaction. Hollywood does much better with the relationships of pre-teens.

Incidentally A Christmas Story 2 2022 gets released on November 17.
Can only hope adult version exceeds the gang as teens which was a fail.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions