Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Dopesick Hulu miniseries

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
Dopesick Hulu miniseries
« on: October 18, 2022, 01:59:02 PM »
It came out about a year ago and just now getting around to watching it.  If you haven't, it's really good.  It's a little slow at times but it all makes sense once it comes together.  Really good acting all the way around in my opinion.  Keaton plays a small country town doctor.  He has big aspirations but follows his wife to help those in a poor mining area.   Kaitlyn Dever plays the role of the small town girl who wants out of the mining life and rebels against the religious parents.  I didn't even know Diane Mallum was still around, but she plays the grieving mother who is losing her daughter to opiates.  Rosario Dawson plays one mean bitch of a federal agent who is willing to throw it all away to bring down Purdue Phrma.  Speaking of Michael Stulbarg was a good actor, but wow, he plays a great greedy, dickhead, son of bitch CEO. Several other recognizable actors in it. 

I knew some of the back story of Purdue.  I knew about the West Virginia sales campaign and the "OxyContin Blues".  I also knew about the Louisiana sales campaign too.  Their strategy seemed to be hit areas that were high in hard manual labor employment areas.  I knew that the FDA was one corrupt organization, and that big pharma was evil, but gosh damn!  I didn't know it worked like it did.  It's not surprising, I just didn't realize how deep it all ran.  I could go on a political rant all day long about it, but I'll save it for some other time. 

Purdue is not single handedly responsible for the opioid crisis, and addicts are responsible for their own actions and pill mills like the one I used to go to pushed what they did because of kickbacks but I don't believe they were punished enough.  Not with some of the crazy woke shit that is going on now days.  If you get a chance it's worth the watch.  I've had my own issues with substance abuse, so this one hit close to home for me.  Made my blood boil at times but also remined me that I'm glad I don't do that shit anymore. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Dopesick Hulu miniseries
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 02:48:57 PM »
Saw it when it first came out.

Anyone on here knows me knows I am highly critical of the cronyism that occurs between the FDA and Big Pharma. I followed this when it was going on in real life and I thought the miniseries did a great job of showing the absolute under the table corruptness at the FDA, how easily govt officials can be bought by pretty much any entity - whether it be another govt, corporation, labor union, you name it. Its sickening. It also shows how "group think" is alive and well today, even since the Challenger incident in the mid 80s.

Even sadder part about this is if you attempt to point any of it out, you'll get labeled the crazy one and some tin foil hat wearer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE