Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Early Exits & Buyouts

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Early Exits & Buyouts
« on: October 04, 2022, 10:08:34 AM »
It may just be me getting older and my mind misremembering things in recent years.  But, I don't recall this many coaches getting the boot before the half way point in the season.  So far:

Scott Frost - Nebraska

Herm Edwards - Arizona State

Geoff Collins - Georgia Tech

Karl Dorrell - Colorado

Paul Chryst - Wisconsin

Chryst was a little surprising to me. Yes, they've been very mediocre the last couple of years, and are off to a 2-3 start.  But, he had a very good run for about 5 years before that, and it seems that unless there's some other underlying crap going on in the program, they'd ride it out for this year.  But, maybe this is the trend. 

I have no problem with the huge contracts that coaches and professional players get.  The old saying is you're worth whatever the market will bear.  Simply put, they wouldn't make the deal if the money wasn't there. But, I have no idea why these college programs paint themselves into a corner with these astronomical buyouts.  I think most A&M faithful would love to send Greasy Jimbo packing.  Unfortunately, they have about $90 million reasons why they can't. How could you possibly be stupid enough to make a totally one-sided deal like that?

I said it a dozen or more times.  Why would Auburn pull such a classic dumbfuck move, and lock themselves in to that buyout for Gus?  He won two huge games.  Okay.  Write the man a big bonus check and say thank you.

These programs should keep it simple, and stop being held hostage by the coaches and their agents.  We want you to coach here, and we're willing to pay you $7 million per year.  If we decide to let you go during the year, we owe you the balance of that year's salary.  If you don't want that deal, I believe we can find someone who will jump on it.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Early Exits & Buyouts
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 10:22:28 AM »
It may just be me getting older and my mind misremembering things in recent years.  But, I don't recall this many coaches getting the boot before the half way point in the season.  So far:

Scott Frost - Nebraska

Karl Dorrell - Colorado

Paul Chryst - Wisconsin

Chryst was a little surprising to me. Yes, they've been very mediocre the last couple of years, and are off to a 2-3 start.  But, he had a very good run for about 5 years before that, and it seems that unless there's some other underlying crap going on in the program, they'd ride it out for this year.  But, maybe this is the trend. 

I have no problem with the huge contracts that coaches and professional players get.  The old saying is you're worth whatever the market will bear.  Simply put, they wouldn't make the deal if the money wasn't there. But, I have no idea why these college programs paint themselves into a corner with these astronomical buyouts.  I think most A&M faithful would love to send Greasy Jimbo packing.  Unfortunately, they have about $90 million reasons why they can't. How could you possibly be stupid enough to make a totally one-sided deal like that?

I said it a dozen or more times.  Why would Auburn pull such a classic dumbfuck move, and lock themselves in to that buyout for Gus?  He won two huge games.  Okay.  Write the man a big bonus check and say thank you.

These programs should keep it simple, and stop being held hostage by the coaches and their agents.  We want you to coach here, and we're willing to pay you $7 million per year.  If we decide to let you go during the year, we owe you the balance of that year's salary.  If you don't want that deal, I believe we can find someone who will jump on it.

Because they let slimy agents fool them. Ask Freddie Freeman about said agents. Kudos to the Braves GM for telling him to F off. More in charge writing the checks need to call their bluffs. We should have in Dec 2017.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 10:24:04 AM »

Scott Frost - Nebraska

Karl Dorrell - Colorado

Paul Chryst - Wisconsin

Between these outrageous salaries/buyouts for coaches and the NIL allowing for a player to possibly make more than their coach, college football as we once knew it is gone like Tuesday.  This will only get worse until the big money schools finally decide to start a new league of their own.  You will either require your fanbase/boosters to keep pumping money in by the hundreds of millions or you will go back to the junior league where the Rudys are playing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 10:33:07 AM »
The buyouts for coaches are the big problem for me.  You see these huge contracts for professional players with the enormous chunk of "guaranteed money".  But, that's a little different in that, it's more protection for the player in the event that he gets injured.  In the past, teams could just kick them to the curb.

But for coaches, my question is, what is the average shelf life of someone at a particular stop?  You hope you strike gold and get somebody who is successful for 10 years plus.  But that's way more the exception than the norm.  Coaches move on.  Programs move on.  How many has Florida had in the last 20 years?  Tennessee? Sakerlina?  So, why allow yourself to be held hostage with these buyouts that leave you stuck with an employee that you don't want? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 12:22:42 PM »
Fuck Georgia.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2022, 01:39:53 PM »
The buyouts for coaches are the big problem for me.  You see these huge contracts for professional players with the enormous chunk of "guaranteed money".  But, that's a little different in that, it's more protection for the player in the event that he gets injured.  In the past, teams could just kick them to the curb.

But for coaches, my question is, what is the average shelf life of someone at a particular stop?  You hope you strike gold and get somebody who is successful for 10 years plus.  But that's way more the exception than the norm.  Coaches move on.  Programs move on.  How many has Florida had in the last 20 years?  Tennessee? Sakerlina?  So, why allow yourself to be held hostage with these buyouts that leave you stuck with an employee that you don't want?

I think it used to be for recruiting.  If your coach wasn't locked up, other schools would point it out to potential recruits.  With the transfer portal I'm not sure that matters as much anymore.  I would guess you'll see more incentive based contracts and smaller buyouts in the future.  But with the flood of TV/streaming money coming, I could be wrong.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2022, 02:29:55 PM »
I think it used to be for recruiting.  If your coach wasn't locked up, other schools would point it out to potential recruits.  With the transfer portal I'm not sure that matters as much anymore.  I would guess you'll see more incentive based contracts and smaller buyouts in the future.  But with the flood of TV/streaming money coming, I could be wrong.

Agreed.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2022, 03:20:17 PM »
Fuck Georgia.
You don't say much, frien, but when you do it's to the point and I salute you for it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2022, 03:37:13 PM »
Don't Send my boy to U of M
The Dying Mother Said....
don't send my boy to FSU ...
I'd Rather see him Dead!
But Send My boy to be an Auburn Tiger where he will turn out well
And as for the University of Georgia ...
I'd rather see him in HELL!

To Hell.... To Hell ... To Hell with Georgia
To Hell.... To Hell ... To Hell with Georgia
To Hell.... To Hell ... To Hell with Georgia' Cause we're from Auburn....

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2022, 03:58:44 PM »
Red shirts
Silver britches
Go to hell, you sons of bitches!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2022, 11:46:42 AM »
I guess this is the coaching carousel thread.

We got Deion going to Colorado. I don't think AU was ready for that show. I'm sure he will have some success.
Satterfield going from Louisville to Cincy? The Cards were horrible!
Chadwell to Liberty. I guess he sees Liberty as more of a stepping stone. And Liberty's players most likely would fit his offense well.
Seth Littrell out at N. Texas. OC option?

Any others?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2022, 08:07:59 AM »
I guess this is the coaching carousel thread.

We got Deion going to Colorado. I don't think AU was ready for that show. I'm sure he will have some success.
Satterfield going from Louisville to Cincy? The Cards were horrible!
Chadwell to Liberty. I guess he sees Liberty as more of a stepping stone. And Liberty's players most likely would fit his offense well.
Seth Littrell out at N. Texas. OC option?

Any others?

I’ve said it a zillion times on here - there is zero doubt Deion will stock pile talent. And he will probably do well at the lower tier , low profile place like Colorado. Who in their recruiting footprint is going to out recruit him if he wants a kid?  I am not sure he is quite there yet in running the politics of a huge pressure cooker program - and auburn is as hard of a pressure cooker job as it gets. And somewhat complicated. I’m not sure we were in position to go into that uncertainty. Even then I would have been ok taking the chance just based off the talent he would amass. But even then if he leaves, some would most likely follow him. Still would have been ok with it.

Wisc and Nebraska - to me - made great hires that were great fits with success in the geographical footprint of those schools at a p5 level.

I have to think both dykes and summral will be the hot commodities next season. Arranda should have jumped on a bigger job last year. His stock has cooled a bit.

On a side note - lane Kiffin is an absolute douchebag and childish AF. F that dude.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 08:09:33 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE