Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Into the Valley of the Shadow of Death

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Into the Valley of the Shadow of Death
« on: September 28, 2022, 11:33:15 PM »
Coolio, one of the greatest of all one-hit wonders, died today.  Heart attack at 59.  Why are people dropping dead at a relatively young age of sudden heart incidents?  Maybe ask Fauci.  But I digress.

Gangsta's Paradise is one of the best rap songs of the early 90s, in particular because it wasn't profane and helped bridge the gap between those songs that were and a listening audience that might not have quite been ready for the raw vulgarity of other artists.  It's still strong today. 

Of course Coolio didn't write the music. Or many of the lyrics. Or actually much of any of it.  It was a near direct ripoff of a song from the Stevie Wonder album Songs in the Key of Life titled Pastime Paradisewhich came about 20 years before.

I really never faulted Coolio for taking it and adding a little bounce.  I remembered the song from the 8-track I had.  Songs in the Key was a masterful album and this song got lost in all the rest of the greatness. It didn't stick. Coolio's version did.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
CCTAU,
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
Re: Into the Valley of the Shadow of Death
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 02:29:21 PM »
I guess he finally took that Fantastic Voyage.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan