Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Third World Country

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Third World Country
« on: August 29, 2022, 12:23:18 PM »
When is enough, enough in Chicago?  I'm reading where this past weekend, 9 people were shot to death, and 25 more injured in other shootings.  Last weekend, there were 37 people shot in that city. It's gone on like that every week for years now.  It's not just gang activity either.  There are small kids being shot.  A guy on his porch.  A woman stopped at an intersection in her car.  WTF?

I don't hear anybody calling for increased police presence, or even the National Guard.  I had occasion to visit Chicago twice when my daughter lived there, but she was in Evanston, a small suburb of the Windy City.  I'm glad she is long gone from there. How do you have over 70 people shot in one city in successive weekends?     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Re: Third World Country
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 12:56:06 PM »
It's been a shithole for years.  When I worked at University of Chicago 5 years ago, we were forbidden by our company from venturing out more than 2 blocks from the hotel at night.  We weren't allowed to walk 8 blocks to work, and instead had to have either the hotel shuttle take us or call an Uber.

The IT department at UC is on the southern most part of campus, literally across the street is no longer university property.  Coming out of the building one afternoon, there was a huge police presence.  Someone had been murdered across the street.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 01:48:26 PM »

“These aren’t my rules. Come to think of it, I don’t have any rules.”
— Beetlejuice
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Token,
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 03:37:33 PM »
It's been a shithole for years.  When I worked at University of Chicago 5 years ago, we were forbidden by our company from venturing out more than 2 blocks from the hotel at night.  We weren't allowed to walk 8 blocks to work, and instead had to have either the hotel shuttle take us or call an Uber.

The IT department at UC is on the southern most part of campus, literally across the street is no longer university property.  Coming out of the building one afternoon, there was a huge police presence.  Someone had been murdered across the street.

Certainly, I just saw it from a tourist standpoint.  I'm sure there was more to the city.  But the only neato-keen thing I saw there was Navy Pier and the long biking/jogging track along the water front.

Evanston was more like a college town.  Well, because it is a college town.  Actually, only in the sense that there's a college there.  I told this before, but I was there in 2011, not long after Auburn had bagged the Natty. The women were shopping, so I hit a sports bar across the street from the hotel.  Wore my AU hat, fully expecting to engage a few patrons and have to defend Cam's honor.

Nothing!  Nada!  The only thing on the walls were Cubs, Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks pics.  Not one thing about Northwestern, and the entrance to the campus was literally less than a mile away. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 03:46:03 PM »
Certainly, I just saw it from a tourist standpoint.  I'm sure there was more to the city.  But the only neato-keen thing I saw there was Navy Pier and the long biking/jogging track along the water front.

Evanston was more like a college town.  Well, because it is a college town.  Actually, only in the sense that there's a college there.  I told this before, but I was there in 2011, not long after Auburn had bagged the Natty. The women were shopping, so I hit a sports bar across the street from the hotel.  Wore my AU hat, fully expecting to engage a few patrons and have to defend Cam's honor.

Nothing!  Nada!  The only thing on the walls were Cubs, Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks pics.  Not one thing about Northwestern, and the entrance to the campus was literally less than a mile away.

They did beat Nebraska though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 04:01:43 PM »
They did beat Nebraska though.

Did Scott fly back with the team?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions