Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

It's ok your degree is worthless.....

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
It's ok your degree is worthless.....
« on: August 25, 2022, 01:42:48 PM »
and you racked up thousands in debt to get a degree in Hieroglyphics or Gender Studies.  Uncle Joe is going make sure that the American taxpayer takes it right in the ass for your fuck up.  God bless the USA!

Seriously, up to $10k if you make less than $125k and if I read correctly, if the household has two with college loan debt they will forgive up to $20k for a household less than $250k.   When is enough going to be enough?  When are people going to wake up?  I fear never. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: It's ok your degree is worthless.....
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 01:46:19 PM »
and you racked up thousands in debt to get a degree in Hieroglyphics or Gender Studies.  Uncle Joe is going make sure that the American taxpayer takes it right in the ass for your fuck up.  God bless the USA!

Seriously, up to $10k if you make less than $125k and if I read correctly, if the household has two with college loan debt they will forgive up to $20k for a household less than $250k.   When is enough going to be enough?  When are people going to wake up?  I fear never.

People are already woke.  Wait, what?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 01:56:08 PM »
This one royally chapped my ass.  I had college loans.  Several thousand dollars, but I went out and got a job, and I made a payment every month for a good long time before I paid it off.  PPFffftttt!  What a crazy ass concept!  You mean to tell me that if I borrow money from an institution I am on the hook for paying it back?  Well, that was until Yesterday.  I demand that I get mortgage debt relief.  Not my fault that I bought a house and some land last year before the housing market got over inflated (which is going to crash hard, soon, again!) that was affordable.  I need that relief. 

I swear, in the last year and almost 9 months I think someone has slipped me crazy pills. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 03:00:12 PM »
And the problem that got all these college graduates/students into debt still isn't solved.  So we'll be back here again next election cycle.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 03:18:16 PM »
And the problem that got all these college graduates/students into debt still isn't solved.  So we'll be back here again next election cycle.

I heard one of the talking head quacks talking about how this will help lower the cost of tuition.  Huh?  The government is going to bail out these loans so what makes you think this is only a one time deal?  They'll continue to back loans and colleges will continue to raise tuition.  More proof that the government getting involved with something always ends in a train wreck.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 04:06:14 PM »
why don't we address the two bigger issues ever:

1. the cost of higher ed - hint: its astronomical

2. and why we keep throwing loans at idiots who will never pay them back normally - to pay for said higher ed

As long as 2 keeps happening, 1 will keep happening. Supply, meet Demand.

I worked my way through college - 1 year at JUCO on a scholly, and 3 at AU no scholly, no loans. I know it was cheaper between 95-99 but I had a plan. What do those of us who did it the prudent way, get out of this deal other than to pay off someone else's stupid mistake?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
AUTiger1,
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2022, 04:14:07 PM »
I'd be more than ok with these loans having the interest rate dropped to 0, and any money paid to interest gets retroactively applied to the principle, and then going forward, any government backed loans carry 0% interest.  If a flat fee of 100-500 per term that you apply for Fin Aid is needed to handle admin fees, that would be built into the loan.

OR

Continue the way it is, but if a student claims bankruptcy while carrying a student loan, the government gets it's money back from said school's endowment.

I think there are tons of options out there, besides just waving a magic wand to remove debt, that weren't even discussed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2022, 04:19:24 PM »
I'd be more than ok with these loans having the interest rate dropped to 0, and any money paid to interest gets retroactively applied to the principle, and then going forward, any government backed loans carry 0% interest.  If a flat fee of 100-500 per term that you apply for Fin Aid is needed to handle admin fees, that would be built into the loan.

OR

Continue the way it is, but if a student claims bankruptcy while carrying a student loan, the government gets it's money back from said school's endowment.

I think there are tons of options out there, besides just waving a magic wand to remove debt, that weren't even discussed.

Fed Gov, Loans, DOE - you know how this works.

Kind of like FDA and Big Phrama.

Its a big racket JH.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
AUJarhead,
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2022, 04:24:32 PM »
Bbbbbbut Nina Turner assured me the taxpayers shouldn't be worried about this because the money is coming from the Federal Government.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2022, 06:12:19 PM »
It'll never happen. It's unconstitutional, but the millennials don't know that. This is merely another desperate attempt to garner votes for the midterm elections. Sadly, the very people who would potentially benefit, don't know that it's unconstitutional and would never survive a vote in the House of Representatives (where it should be debated, if it's ever to be considered).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 07:22:40 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2022, 10:10:56 PM »
Tuition is the problem.  Or the first one. 

I could work a part time job and pay for college. 

Cost now? By the time you add in housing, food, basic cost of living?  You’ve got to pull in 25-30k a year just to scrape by.  Can’t do that working 20 hours a week at Dunkin’.

And that’s a problem. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
AUTiger1,
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2022, 09:50:57 AM »

Cost now? By the time you add in housing, food, basic cost of living?  You’ve got to pull in 25-30k a year just to scrape by.  Can’t do that working 20 hours a week at Dunkin’.

And that’s a problem.

They are charging it because they can. Its no different than the current inflation and supply/demand.

The demand is there with higher ed because any idiot can sign crazy loan papers and "worry about it later". You know, kind of like how Pharma can charge what they want for insulin and other drugs because of tie ins to insurance and the FDA.

The govt keeps fueling the endless, artificial, stupid funding of "demand" in many realms - housing, personal credit, drugs, higher ed - and all that will ever do is increase the cost of those things and build a house of cards. You're seeing those things come home to roost in a few different ways now with runaway inflation, gas and college loans/cost.

And they then will pretend to "fix" them by throwing more money at them thus making it worse in the name of coming to the rescue. I cannot understand how people can't see this ruse.

"Govt does not solve problems; it subsidizes them" - Ronald Reagan
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
CCTAU,
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2022, 09:55:52 AM »
They are charging it because they can. Its no different than the current inflation and supply/demand.

The demand is there with higher ed because any idiot can sign crazy loan papers and "worry about it later". You know, kind of like how Pharma can charge what they want for insulin and other drugs because of tie ins to insurance and the FDA.

The govt keeps fueling the endless, artificial, stupid funding of "demand" in many realms - housing, personal credit, drugs, higher ed - and all that will ever do is increase the cost of those things and build a house of cards. You're seeing those things come home to roost in a few different ways now with runaway inflation, gas and college loans/cost.

And they then will pretend to "fix" them by throwing more money at them thus making it worse in the name of coming to the rescue. I cannot understand how people can't see this ruse.

"Govt does not solve problems; it subsidizes them" - Ronald Reagan

It sucks.  My first graduated from Auburn with zero debt.  She worked, had a small scholarship and what I paid covered the rest. 

My second?  Graduated from South.  She worked - often two jobs - I paid her rent, helped with tuition. My investment in hers was almost triple what I gave my first child.  She's still looking at about 30k in loans after four years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2022, 10:36:38 AM »
It sucks.  My first graduated from Auburn with zero debt.  She worked, had a small scholarship and what I paid covered the rest. 

My second?  Graduated from South.  She worked - often two jobs - I paid her rent, helped with tuition. My investment in hers was almost triple what I gave my first child.  She's still looking at about 30k in loans after four years.

My oldest doesn't want to do the 4 year university thing. Want to do a skill, technical skill, specialized training.

My youngest is heading full steam down the path to a full track scholly in D2/FCS (more than likely).

I may come out of this unscathed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2022, 12:08:48 PM »
My oldest doesn't want to do the 4 year university thing. Want to do a skill, technical skill, specialized training.

My youngest is heading full steam down the path to a full track scholly in D2/FCS (more than likely).

I may come out of this unscathed.

You're never unscathed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2022, 12:56:38 PM »
You're never unscathed.

^^^This^^^
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2022, 07:19:49 PM »

And that’s a problem.

Federal dollars along with guaranteed loans caused the hyperinflation of a college education. In the 80s, a college biology book costs about $30 used, but now it's more than $200 new. Digital copies are much less.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions