Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Kaos' way behind movie reviews

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Kaos' way behind movie reviews
« Reply #3240 on: July 22, 2022, 09:11:26 PM »
The Incredible Hulk

I admit.  I'd never watched this movie.  Part of it was because Edward Norton annoys the shit out of me.  Part of it was because it came out about a month after Iron Man - which was so good and almost perfect that it dwarfed everything around it.  Part of it was because it was pretty quickly disavowed as Marvel canon and disappeared.  Part of it was because it drew less at the box office than Horton Hears a Who and Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian.

Stumbled on it today, decided to watch.  I'd seen the Eric Bana version from about five years prior to this and the CGI on that was so laughingly awful that I was pleasantly surprised that this was much better. 

Other positives:
-- Liv Tyler.  She can't act a single lick, but there's something oozingly sexy about her, particularly the little bit of her body you get to see.
-- Like all Marvel films there were little details inserted that tied to other things.  I appreciated pretty greatly the inclusion of the TV Hulk theme, shots of Bill Bixby in his other primary television role (Eddie's Father), a cameo by Lou Ferrigno, a joke about giant purple pants and a few other asides.  (Even these were often ruined by Norton's reactions.  The guy's effort at human relatability come off lizard-like. He just can't do it.  It feels forced, fake and disingenuous).

That's about it. 

So what went wrong?
-- Edward Norton, Tim Roth, Tim Blake Nelson.  I like two of the three.  All three were exceptionally poor casting choices and their inability to effectively fill their roles completely wrecked the entire exercise.
-- William Hurt. He can be a good actor, but (maybe he was already sick) he absolutely phoned this performance in.  Beyond his utterly ridiculous hairpiece, Hurt had trouble hitting his marks and was looking in the wrong direction often enough that it was noticeable. 
-- The story.  Nothing about it fits within the Marvel universe, even with a last second Tony Stark cameo tacked on in an effort to establish a tie-in. 
-- Did I mention Edward Norton?  I dislike Tony Romo or whoever the current guy doing Hulk is, but he's a good Hulk. If they'd stuck with Norton as part of the Avengers ensemble, he would have screwed every bit of that up.  Just a terrible fit.

I don't regret watching it, but the only reason I'd ever go back to it would be to fast forward to about 11 total seconds of Liv Tyler's bomb-ass legs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Kaos' way behind movie reviews
« Reply #3241 on: July 24, 2022, 07:30:15 PM »
Umma

Sandra Oh. 

Poorly plotted. Poorly told.  Terrible effort at "horror." 

So much of what little action there was occurred in the dark. Couldn't tell what was going on.  Oh, Sandra, wait.  Nothing was. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.