Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Star Trek - Strange New Worlds

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Star Trek - Strange New Worlds
« on: July 22, 2022, 09:42:56 PM »
Star Trek, the original series from the 1960s was, in retrospect, one of the early adopters of 'woke-ism.'  It didn't just try to entertain, it made part of its mission to challenge accepted societal standards.  It did so without addressing them directly, but as part of its regular storylines.

As a kid, I didn't get that.  I just enjoyed Kirk, Spock, Bones and Scotty brawling and shooting their way across the universe in awesome space ships.   So I was unknowingly brainwashed a little bit. 

Each successive iteration strayed further and further into woke bullshit, until we finally got to the point that the despicable moron Whoopi Fucktard had a role on the show.  It kept veering left until even that gap-toothed tub of lard Stacy Abrams ended up on one of the shows.  The more left the shows careened, the worse they got. I stopped watching any of them long ago.  Fuck all that shit. 

The movies were better.  But they weren't really Star Trek. 

When I saw this new series pop up on my Firecube, I initially dismissed it.  But it looked like the Star Trek I remembered from my childhood.  I finally gave it a chance. 

It's not the original, but it's close enough that I'm not hating it.  Essentially it's a prequel. The central character is Captain Pike -- who was a critical player in the 1966 series pilot.  If you remember, he was the one who was nothing more than a head trapped in a robot.  He ended up living his life out in an imaginary world with the sexy lady prisoner from the Andy Griffith show.  (See below and can't say I blame him)

The guy playing Pike is really good. The Spock character also is done extremely well.  Rebecca Rojmin is, for the first time in her history an actual character and not just a bimbo. 

This is visually and emotionally as close to resurrecting the 1966 series as anybody could really hope for in today's world.  It looks like Star Trek.  It feels like Star Trek. It follows the same basic formula as the original series.  So far each episode presents a crisis of some kind, the Enterprise crew solves that crisis -- usually by bending or breaking the rules. Kirk confronts an enemy and by force of personality defeats them or wins them over.  Each episode is a stand-alone, one doesn't necessarily rely on what happened previously to understand what's happening. They're self-contained and you can pick up at any point, any episode and not be lost. 

Don't get me wrong, it's still peppered with woke horseshit.  Enough to be occasionally offensive.  For example in a sequence in Episode One, Pike references something about the Second Civil War as a video of Trump supporters on Jan 6 plays on a screen in the background.  There's also a ridiculously bad Rachel Maddow-looking bitch/bastid at the helm who is the weakest link by FAR in the cast.  She wasn't cast because she could act or meshed well with the rest, it was pure stunt casting. Just like the original, there's too much woke preaching.  I mean it would be great if there was a utopian society where all focus could be placed on exploration, art and music because all basic needs were met, but in the real world that's absolute farcical nonsense.  Some pigs will always want to be more equal than others.  It's the human condition. 

I wish I didn't like it, but I kinda do.  It's done well. 

Now to the Andy Griffith link....

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: Star Trek - Strange New Worlds
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 11:21:38 PM »
After that pathetic shit show of Discovery, This looks conservative as hell!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022, 07:47:18 AM »
After that pathetic shit show of Discovery, This looks conservative as hell!

Didn’t watch so I don’t have a reference.  I also heard Picard was a leftist jerk off fantasy. 

This show isn’t great but it’s almost nostalgia.  I don’t hate it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2023, 11:11:33 AM »
Season 2 is now out.  Like four or five episodes in. 

The new season is a little different. The original Star Trek was very Kirk focused. He was the lead character in almost every story.

Strange New Worlds is branching out. Captain Pike is a peripheral player in several of these episodes. They're driven instead by other characters. Pike is barely even in some of them.

One episode follows La'an Noonien-Singh (Christina Chong) who's a descendant of Khan. She's really grown on me. Pretty good in this role.  She and baby Kirk do a time-travel thing (with some pieces borrowed from Loki, which was amusing). Who's Khan?  You know, Kaaaaahhhhn!

The one with rich corinthian leather, not the limp version Binklecrunch Dunderbitch gave us in the reboot movie.

Another season two episode is led by baby Spock - who is, in real life the son of Atticus Finch.  Inhabiting the iconic Spock character had to be a daunting task, but Ethan Peck handles it well. 

The "wokesim" has been pushed to the background as the show deals with it in the same way the original series did - by just going about its business.

If you're a Star Trek fan, there are tons of callbacks, call forwards, easter eggs and casual references to people, places and things you should recognize.  How could there not be?  This series takes place almost within the same timeline. All the original Trek characters - Kirk, McCoy, Sulu, Chekhov, Janice Rand, Uhura, Spock, Scotty, Chapel, T'Pring, Harry Mudd - are alive and circulating in this world.  Spock, Chapel, T'Pring, Uhura and Kirk have all made appearances on Strange New Worlds already (albeit in different actors because the originals are either too old or too dead). Chapel is the only one that feels off, but I don't hate the Australian gal playing the role.

It's not something I wait for every week, but I'm still watching when I remember it's there. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 11:14:51 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2023, 11:26:06 AM »
Finished two seasons. 

It’s not the original series.  In a lot of ways it’s actually better.  That original series was awash in terrible acting performances. This isn’t. 

I’m a nerd. This is one of the better shows I’ve watched lately.  It’s not great, it just knows how to live in a world that’s familiar.

It retains enough of the original’s off-beat quirkiness that it isn’t afraid to have a musical episode.  Or one that’s an Arthurian fantasy. Or one where everybody forgets who they are. That’s good.

The worst part of the show remains the shaved head ensign who’s there for no other reason than to appeal to the woke.  So bad she sticks out like a sore thumb.  Every other performance is rich and nuanced.  Hers is one note flat. 

Am I the only person in the universe who watched this?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2023, 12:06:46 PM »
It’s one of the better ones so far. And yes, they have less woke BS.
Discovery almost made me never watch again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2023, 12:31:04 PM »
It’s one of the better ones so far. And yes, they have less woke BS.
Discovery almost made me never watch again.

Is that the one where Stacy Abrams was queen of the universe?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2023, 12:13:39 AM »
Is that the one where Stacy Abrams was queen of the universe?

Yes. They sprung it on everybody at the end of the very last episode.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted dislike:
Kaos,

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2023, 09:27:05 AM »
Yes. They sprung it on everybody at the end of the very last episode.

Thought you were joking until Google showed me otherwise.  I have often wondered how she doesn't whistle through those teeth when she speaks and/or breathes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2023, 12:09:08 PM »
Thought you were joking until Google showed me otherwise.  I have often wondered how she doesn't whistle through those teeth when she speaks and/or breathes.

I have never been so pissed at a show. It was disgusting.
If they had told me that was happening before I started the series, I would not have watched one episode. 
The wokeness was bad enough, but the premise was a decent one. Each episode they stayed on the line. I almost did not watch this new one because of that.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions