Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Good Old Times

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Good Old Times
« on: September 08, 2023, 12:17:54 PM »
I’m so old, I knew Cap’n Crunch when he was still a Private.  This is not a post about how it was “back in my day”, when we walked barefoot to school, 5 miles, in the snow….yada yada yada.  Just that times were in fact, different when I was growing up.  Without cell phones, computers, Play Station, 8,592 channels etc. entertainment consisted of whatever sports, or general stupidity we could get into in the great outdoors, or a lot of reading while stuck inside.  One of the staples of any kids’ library, was comic books.

I, and all my friends, had stacks of them.  I was a Marvel guy.  One of my best friends was partial to DC comics.  I also loved a series that was similar to Beetle Bailey, called Sad Sack.  The misadventures of an Army enlisted man.  We traded off and would read, and re-read them 100X over.  About a week ago, I’m in an antique store (Snagette has a booth in an antique store and works there part time as well) and came across some vintage comics for sale.  I couldn’t resist. I picked up a Thor and a Hulk edition, for $8.00.  The comics were originally .25 cents each.  I also found a Time Magazine from 1942 in excellent condition.  BTW, I love, love, love old stuff like that.  I have an Auburn/Georgia Tech program from the mid 30’s.

The absolute joy in thumbing through those comics, was not so much the story, as much as it was the advertisements every few pages.  You could get a pair of x-ray vision glasses for $1.00.  You could earn anywhere from $2.00 to $10.00 a week selling GRIT magazine.  I could have had a Greek God-like body in one week, if I had just sent the $6.99 plus postage and handling, for that color brochure from Charles Atlas.  I would have an established business as a motorcycle mechanic, had I ordered that manual for only $9.99.  Just out of curiosity, I’m actually considering sending the dollar in to see if I get those x-ray vision glasses. 

That’s my favorite part about these old magazines and comics.  The ads, and how they’re written, are hilarious.  Any old comic book buffs on here?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: Good Old Times
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2023, 01:24:18 PM »
Nerd.

Wasn't a comic guy, but loved Mad magazine and definitely bought some of those x-ray specs once upon a time.  Don't recall the publication that had the ad...but all your mentioned items were there in that marketplace of wonders.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2023, 02:06:31 PM »
BTW, I love, love, love old stuff like that.

Good thing your wife does, too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2023, 02:16:35 PM »
Good thing your wife does, too.

There might be, a little dust on the ball sack.  But don't let it fool ya' about what's inside.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2023, 03:03:50 PM »
There might be, a little dust on the ball sack.  But don't let it fool ya' about what's inside.

From sitting in a desolate location for so long? Like an old book.

BTDubbs, check out the Florbama live version of that song by Kenny and David Lee. 10/10.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2023, 08:04:59 PM »
Doubtful it's a surprise, but I love comics.   Have a pretty diverse collection.  Remember Sad Sack, but never had any.  I'd read it at the comic rack and put it back.   

I'm probably the only person left alive who remembers Kamandi or Plop! both of which I followed.  I also liked Werewolf By Night and was really looking forward to the Marvel version on D+ last Halloween, but it wasn't true to what I remembered at all. 

I remember once I had to write this paper for history about great figures from the past.  In one of the horror comics I had, there was a center section about the parallels between Kennedy and Lincoln.  My parents were freaking out because I hadn't written anything until the night before and I just straight up boosted that whole thing.  My dad was furious. He said it was asinine that I'd try to use a comic book as a source.  But I did. And I made a decent grade on it.  This was before all this stupid plagiarism software - or any software, really - existed. 

Best comic series?  Always partial to Batman. Dark Knight Returns is pretty up there. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Snakebite,
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2023, 08:42:36 PM »
I read a lot of comics. Then I grew up…
I had a decent very old collection. I gave them away.
I had an old train set as a kid. I stopped using it and another kid wanted a train set. So we gave it to him. Thats what poor people do… The locomotive was made out of metal. I found out later that was rare since they didn’t make them out of metal after WWII.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.