Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Nommings From the Nom Nom

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Nommings From the Nom Nom
« on: June 28, 2022, 03:02:53 PM »
 :oh:

Came across this today.  Not a PM fan, but he did hit on exactly what I've been saying fo-evah.  It's relevant to me, because I wanted to strangle Finebaum for trumpeting his baseless claims about the evil boosters attempting a 2nd "Coup" to get Bryman Harvinz out.  Typical Auburn.  Even saw a blog from Jay Pate, or whatever his name is, talking about Auburn's boosters meddling in everything, and even harped on the "two coup attempts."  Bullshit!!!! Anyway....some off season discussion.  The bolded part has been my point.

It’s as much a part of Auburn as orange and blue. Fans are going to complain about the supposed evils of boosters’ efforts to control the football program.

Here’s reality:

Most people who talk about boosters are really talking about trustees. Those trustees, as well as boosters who are not trustees, are free to have their opinions heard. That does not mean they get their way. If it did mean that, neither Gene Chizik nor Gus Malzahn nor Bryan Harsin would have been Auburn’s head coach.

It’s kind of amusing to hear talk about those trustees and/or boosters wanting access to the program, wanting to “hang around” the athletic department and stand on the sideline. None of those things happen. The other popular mantra is that they want to control the head coach. What do they want to control? What can they control? Again, they are free to express their opinions. The head coach is free to listen or not. They have no leverage to force a head coach do anything. Trustees and boosters have influence in every program. Many of them have more influence than any individual has at Auburn.

No matter what you hear, that’s the truth of the situation. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 03:04:58 PM by Snaggletiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: Nommings From the Nom Nom
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 03:28:07 PM »
Sounds like what I'd want him to say if I was a certain fella dressed in yella.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 03:36:10 PM »
Sounds like what I'd want him to say if I was a certain fella dressed in yella.

From a May 19th Montgomery Advertiser piece.

Auburn's investigation of football coach Bryan Harsin in February caused a generations-old topic to resurface: the school's reputation for booster involvement in athletics personnel decisions.

The most famous Auburn booster of this generation, trustee Jimmy Rane, claims to have had no role in the internal probe that almost got Harsin fired after his first season, or in future decisions.

"Trustees don't hire and fire football coaches. We hire and fire presidents. So I'm not aware of any role the trustees played in that at all," Rane told the Montgomery Advertiser before his foundation's annual charity golf event kicked off with a banquet Thursday night in downtown Montgomery. "I think there were questions that the administration had, and (former Auburn president Jay Gogue) is the kind of a president that wants facts. He's going to do thorough investigations. And so that was a providence of the administration. Certainly not the trustees."

Pressed about Auburn's longtime reputation, Rane rejected the notion that boosters meddle backstage in the affairs of the athletics department.

"I don't know how to help people with their perception," he said. "All I know is facts. And there's enough rumor out there that people can make up anything they want to make up, but facts speak for themselves, and that's just how things are done."

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 03:51:13 PM »
Oh, Jimmy said so?  Checks out, boys!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 04:15:26 PM »

So, the question becomes, what exactly is he meddling in?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 10:02:18 PM »

You're a lawyer Wes. So Shirley you're aware of burden of proof. Even if not a criminal case.

I will back up what many say, not just Phillip or yella - in that regard. Josh Pate, Jay G, BMatt, Hoke, Goldberg and on and on......boosters do not meddle to the degree you guys think they do. They just don't. And yes, its more the people you DO NOT know - many of them trustees and silent money/power. Not sure it matters because the point is that there will always be that Oz behind the curtain running things at these powerful schools. Always has and always will be. You, GF and a few others were there when I was between 95-99 when the same strawman was built to be larger than life - named Bobby Lowder. Sure he had influence, sure he helped orchestrate many coaching changes and Jet gate - but he was never ever the evil devil behind the curtain that was made out to be. These things just don't work like most casual fans THINK they do...

All that said - Harvinz was doing plenty of effing up on his own way before the Feb incident. It was absolutely bullshit what went down and has absolutely harmed his recruiting efforts (that were already in the tank). It woke him up to a degree and he is no doubt trying harder. But his inability to land big recruits now is the same as it was pre-February. Whether that incident had happened or not - I just don't think the guy is ever going to be a good recruiter in this conference or this region. He is just not a good cultural fit. And at SEC schools, the culture fit may be more important than all else right now with NIL. Although I applaud his new found efforts and I think hes a solid on field coach- just needs to be at the right place, and I am not sure we are it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 10:36:16 PM »
I guess this motherfucker forgot that big yellow bastard barging out on the sidelines and confronting Tuberville during a game at arkansas. 

I didn’t. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Buzz Killington,
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

wesfau2

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2022, 09:37:28 AM »
I guess this motherfucker forgot that big yellow bastard barging out on the sidelines and confronting Tuberville during a game at arkansas. 

I didn’t.

Same.

We may be conflating power brokers/boosters with Trustees, but in Raine's case, there is no difference.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2022, 09:40:39 AM »

I didn’t.
I searched for hours to find that video with no luck.  I remember it well though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2022, 10:26:17 AM »
So, you had one incident, many years ago, where a very rich booster overstepped his boundaries and hollered at the coach, most likely with a "WTF are you doing?".  (And then Fred Talley scored again)  I'm sure there were a shitload of fans and boosters who wanted to do the same thing.  Big boy just happened to be rich enough to have access at the time.  He fucked up, fo sho.

But there's a huge difference in, as Brother Nomsie said, boosters being free to express their opinions, like we all are, and having any control over a coach, or the program. What are they going to do, force Harpin to change his offense?  Change the way they practice?  Wear orange jerseys?

None of the stuff with Brian Hasbeen in February had anything to do with boosters.  Am I 100% sure of that? Obviously not, because my skreets got washed away by a hurricane years ago.  But go back on this very board and see that I posted long before any investigation started, that shit wasn't right.  I didn't call for the guy's head.  But I did say that if this same crap is going on this time next year, we probably have the wrong guy. To the administration's credit, they saw the obvious, and did their due diligence.  The big mistake was going public with it.  That brought out the Finebaums and Pates etc. with their tired, old mantra of "Here we go again.  Those evil Auburn boosters meddling in the program again." 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

eagleair89

• Horny Rabbit
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2022, 11:07:56 AM »
I'm just gonna smile, shake my head and move along.......

God bless yall, everyone

Damn.....  :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I, We, They.....The Illuminati

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2022, 11:31:41 AM »
I'm just gonna smile, shake my head and move along.......

God bless yall, everyone

Damn.....  :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

You don't say much, but when you do, you don't say anything.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2022, 11:44:49 AM »
You don't say much, but when you do, you don't say anything.

You know, buddy, I have to say: Of all the people I've ever known in my life, you're certainly one of 'em.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2022, 11:59:36 AM »
You know, buddy, I have to say: Of all the people I've ever known in my life, you're certainly one of 'em.

Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Made that up myself, just now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions