Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Top Gun Maverick

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Top Gun Maverick
« on: May 31, 2022, 10:09:28 AM »
Checked it out yesterday.  Snagette and I were talking on the way, and we realized it had been since before the Rona's that we had been to a theater for a movie. I'm not a huge movie-goer anyway.  Might hit 3-5 a year in the theaters. 

Top Gun being the newly released big hit right now, we knew it would be packed. The AMC 12 here is running it in 3 of the auditoriums, and it was still almost at capacity.  As for the movie itself, I'll go ahead and issue a spoiler alert, which is not much of a spoiler alert. So....spoiler alert.

The original Top Gun was a bad ass flick, that I think still stands the test of time.  Maverick took some time to get released because of the Covids, but it seems I remember an article with some quotes from Cruise, saying they were going to pretty much stick to the script of the original.  If that was the intention, believe me, they did.

Let's just say, I'm about 50/47.84 as to whether or not I'll watch this again, at any point in my life.  Don't get me wrong, it's a decent watch.  But they went so far overboard in trying to stick to the exact same storyline, in every way possible, it was almost cheesy at times. Same love interest for Maverick, done with just a small tweak. Same crotch rocket ride beside the runway while the F-18 takes off, fist in the air. Same buzzing the tower. Same shirtless competition on the beach between Top Gun pilots. Same over-the-top, cocky, Ice Man wannabe' pilot who smarts off to everybody. Even the same scene when the new pilots meet the instructor, Maverick, for the first time, after they had thrown him out of a bar the night before.  Remember Kelly McGillis walking in for the first time after the bar scene the night before?  That's Top Gun Maverick.

A lot of action.  Some funny lines. But honestly, it just looked like they were trying too hard to recreate the original with more special effects.  I'll stick with the 1986 version. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: Top Gun Maverick
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 10:13:24 AM »
This one exists in a pile of movies that I won't acknowledge as existing.  Right up there with the Point Break remake.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 10:37:39 AM »
Better than Caddyshack 2 / Smokey and the Bandit 3?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 10:41:43 AM »
Better than Caddyshack 2 / Smokey and the Bandit 3?

These are definitely on my aforementioned list.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 11:08:32 AM »
Talking about bad remakes made me remember that I did go to the theater for maybe the worst one ever, Coming To America 2.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 01:04:40 PM »
I never had any great affinity for the first one.  I know  I saw it once.  Likely in a theater on a date.  But I honestly don’t know that for sure.  Haven’t seen it since.  Once was enough. Zero will be enough for this one.  Unless the girl I went with back then still looks good and wants to revisit the wiener in the popcorn bucket trick. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 03:17:02 PM »
Mods, please nuke this thread.
We already have a thread dedicated to movie reviews.
This is just clogging up the forum…
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 03:54:11 PM »
Disagree with the take here.  Saw it Friday night, and thought it was great.  Exactly what movies need right now.  No political wokeness, no message it's trying to send.  Just a good action movie.  It helps that I always loved the F-18s.

Same storyline as the original Top Gun?  Sure.  But it did the remake a billion times better than The Force Awakens.

And Jennifer Connelly....  Sweet barking Jesus, I would give her asshole CPR if she asked.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
GH2001,
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2022, 05:28:34 PM »
Disagree with the take here.  Saw it Friday night, and thought it was great.  Exactly what movies need right now.  No political wokeness, no message it's trying to send.  Just a good action movie.  It helps that I always loved the F-18s.

Same storyline as the original Top Gun?  Sure.  But it did the remake a billion times better than The Force Awakens.

And Jennifer Connelly....  Sweet barking Jesus, I would give her asshole CPR if she asked.

No, you're wrong, Colonel Sanders. 

I would agree on everything, including Jennifer Connelly's asshole, with the exception of the same storyline. Yes, same storyline, but so over the top with the copycatting, it got to a point where late in the movie, I told Snagette that if he says, "Do some of that pilot shit," I'm going to throw something at the screen.

Copycat:

*Son, I'm ordering you to land that plane.

*I can't believe this.  I should be throwing you out, but I gotta' send you to Top Gun.

*Crotch Rocket down the runway, shaking a fist at the F-18 taking off.

*Maverick meets the new pilots who threw him out of the bar the night before.  Embarrassed pilots slink down in desks.

*Ice Man wannabe tells everybody he's the best.

*Goose's son playing the piano in the bar, like a chip off the old block.

*Maverick inverts the F-18 over his trainee's plane and flips em' a bird.

*All the pilots frolic shirtless on the beach while flexing.

*Going below the hard deck is non-negotiable. 

*Maverick buzzes the tower.  Gawt damn that guy.

*Come on, Maverick, do some of that pilot shit.

*Jennifer Connelly shows up at the end when he least expects it, and brings her tight asshole with her.

I'm with you on the great action movie.  But, since I've seen the original eleventeen dozen times, this just seemed like the exact same movie with a few more bells and whistles. And Jennifer Connelly's asshole.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2022, 05:36:57 PM »
Snags, I'll take all of that over the past few comic book or video game movies.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2022, 05:45:29 PM »
Snags, I'll take all of that over the past few comic book or video game movies.

Probably so.  Like I said, I don't go to many movies, so I haven't been exposed to much of that.  One thing I was hoping for this movie, was that they didn't take it so far over the top with the special effects, and the moments of pure face palm.  I like it when they keep it at least somewhat realistic.  That's one thing I liked about the original.  No, I've never been in a fighter jet, but I got the sense that what was going on was totally believable, with this one and the original. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2022, 09:31:12 AM »
It was official about 5 years ago or so that there are no new movie ideas anyway, so why not?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2022, 12:10:36 PM »
the wiener in the popcorn bucket trick.
I used to love to play this one, when my kids were smaller.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

chinook

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2022, 01:58:36 PM »
I used to love to play this one, when my kids were smaller.

now they get to tickle your vagina head. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2022, 03:22:41 PM »
now they get to tickle your vagina head.
I prefer that over your wife’s stinky vagina tickling it. It had gotten to the point it was putrid, even.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2022, 04:26:57 PM »
I prefer that over your wife’s stinky vagina tickling it. It had gotten to the point it was putrid, even.

weak sauce alert ^^
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2022, 04:31:00 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2022, 04:45:54 PM »
weak sauce alert ^^

He could have done more damage calling him a poot head, stinky butt.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2022, 07:00:27 PM »
He could have done more damage calling him a poot head, stinky butt.

Water is wet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE