Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Bama...NIL....Random Thoughts

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Bama...NIL....Random Thoughts
« on: April 27, 2022, 12:33:44 PM »
In this past recruiting class, the biggest story was Bimbo Fisher hauling in, what many said, was the top rated class ever signed.  I don’t know all the in’s and outs of how every program is handling the NIL dealio, but many reports are that some are setting up these “collectives”, wherein boosters, donors etc. can simply contribute to the fund and you’re basically paying players from it.  Whatever A&M is doing, big money programs are sure to follow.

I think it’s too early to tell, but the question is whether or not this will somewhat even the playing field. Here’s the thing.  I’ll go ahead and be Captain Obvious in saying Bama is where they are because they have been paying whatever it takes to get whoever they want since Lord Saybinz got there.  Yes, everybody cheats.  Everybody is looking for an edge.  But according to one of Bama’s long time staffers, neither the NCAA or SEC wants to police their activities, because having that juggernaut, that dynasty, is reeeeaally good for business.  And when the Auburn recruiting coordinator asks me for a $30K donation because, “We don’t have the resources to pay what Coach Saban is paying for players”, that kind of confirms that.  I told him I didn’t have $30K to spare, but I would pick up lunch.

But things changed in an instant.  Now, there are no rules.  Now, just flat out paying players is legal, and there’s nothing to police.  All the Bag Men are out of work. So, if Bama will offer a $500K “NIL Deal” for a 5* wide receiver, he may wind up at LSU because they can go $750K. If you’re a program with stupid rich boosters who love em’ some good ole State U Football, there’s no reason you can’t load the wagon with equal talent to anybody in the country.

But, I do question if it really will level the playing field, because after hearing some back and forth on sports talk this morning, I don’t believe the Crimson horde will allow it.  The topic was when Lord Saybinz retires, who would replace him. What I gleaned from the conversation was that unless Lord Saybinz could clone himself as a younger Lord Saybinz, nobody could possibly take that job.  One of the hosts said the Bama Nation doesn’t want Dabo because he’s got to prove he can win. He’s fallen off. (They were 10-3 last year)  But Bama, it doesn’t matter who the coach is anymore.  You sold your souls to the devil when you hired Saban.  They’ve given him every resource possible to get to the top and stay there.  They feel it’s their birth right to be Nayshunal Champeens year in and year out.  They will accept nothing less.  So, now that everybody is playing by the same rules, or lack thereof, are they simply going outbid everybody? 

Wait, so you’re saying LSU offered a $750K deal?  How about $1.25 million?     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: Bama...NIL....Random Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 04:22:39 PM »
It'll level the playing field for the twenty or so teams with any actual chance at a natty in any given year.

Saban hates it because he's been proven to be exceedingly mediocre when everyone has access to the same caliber of player.

I'm for it because it'll help Auburn.

I understand it's going to put the squeeze on a bunch of little schools.  Hate it for 'em.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 04:48:09 PM »
It'll level the playing field for the twenty or so teams with any actual chance at a natty in any given year.

Saban hates it because he's been proven to be exceedingly mediocre when everyone has access to the same caliber of player.

I understand it's going to put the squeeze on a bunch of little schools.  Hate it for 'em.
I'm still not 100% sold it will help Auburn...unless the Nevilles or Tim Cook decide to open up the checkbook to go along with Yella Fella.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 04:50:01 PM »

Troof.  On a side note, not that the NCAA has any teeth anymore, but Lord Saybinz dick buddy, Mark Emmert is stepping down next year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 08:24:50 AM »
Troof.  On a side note, not that the NCAA has any teeth anymore, but Lord Saybinz dick buddy, Mark Emmert is stepping down next year.
Just in time for a bammer grad to take over.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 11:53:15 AM »
Just in time for a bammer grad to take over.

Steve Shaw FTW
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2022, 04:40:05 PM »

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2022, 06:56:36 PM »

Beat me to it. I wanna hear this one. We are at the bottom of the ncaa and sec with nil right now. Our first crack at it went belly up. Our coach hates it. Aggie on the other hand is raping errrbody with it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2022, 10:01:37 AM »
Oh shit, we didn't knock it out of the park with our first step out of the gate!!!!  The Sky is FALLLIN!

Fuck's sake, some of y'all need a valium, blowjob and a vacay.

The landscape is new and changing.  The early adopters might get a minor advantage by hitting on some winning strategies, but those will be copied and incorporated with other things that we're trying.

The point is, the same 20 or so teams are still going to be in contention and Auburn has the resources to compete with most of them.  This can only help by removing the danger of courting/competing for the superstars.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2022, 11:26:09 AM »
Oh shit, we didn't knock it out of the park with our first step out of the gate!!!!  The Sky is FALLLIN!

The landscape is new and changing.  The early adopters might get a minor advantage by hitting on some winning strategies, but those will be copied and incorporated with other things that we're trying.

The point is, the same 20 or so teams are still going to be in contention and Auburn has the resources to compete with most of them.  This can only help by removing the danger of courting/competing for the superstars.

:meme:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2022, 11:30:02 AM »
Jar sent this story last night. 

Isaiah Wong wants a bigger NIL deal, or he's transferring.

The Miami guard's NIL agent, Adam Papas, says that his client will enter the transfer portal on Friday if his NIL compensation is not increased, according to ESPN.

"If Isaiah and his family don't feel that the NIL number meets their expectations they will be entering the transfer portal tomorrow, while maintaining his eligibility in the NBA draft and going through the draft process," Papas said.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2022, 11:35:53 AM »
There are certainly enough stupid money boosters at Auburn to put us in the mix as far as NIL.  My point, or maybe conjecture, above was that the mentality of the Bama fan base/boosters will probably be one of, "If that's the way we're doing it now, we're just going to make sure and outbid everyone else". 

Go ahead and set up a $10 million collective.  We'll put $25 million in the kitty. Lord Saybinz hath spoken.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2022, 03:54:40 PM »
"NIL agent"... :jaw:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2022, 10:15:54 AM »

Projection much?

Who tf said anything to that degree? You’re simply being questioned as to why you think this is some kind of advantage for auburn right now with valid reasons listed. We’re actually getting left behind more since the advent of it. We’re not remotely pulling on the same end of the rope here. And that probably won’t change anytime soon.

No one is stepping up to the plate to put the organization needed in place. The last guy tried but lacked the skills to get buy in from big money and he also had a terrible subscription model.

We have a coach who - openly - does not particularly care for players getting paid via nil. Auburn has a longgggggg way to go to resemble a heart beat in nil in football.

If you think the sky is falling then that’s you. No one said that. Just giving you some facts…..
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2022, 02:16:21 PM »

Pull that string of pearls out of your ass and listen to them pop.  Like a wet machine gun if you yank them just right. 

Here’s my problem with AU and the NIL. 

I don’t believe Auburn can or will do it right.  For years we’ve watched out chief rivals blatantly and openly buy players.  And succeed.  We knew the landscape but for reasons entirely Auburn we never broke bad.  We might have been grey but we refused to go full black even as the most corrupt enterprise in US history  (with the exception of the Clinton and Biden cabals) set up shop just hours away. 

Why? The reasons are myriad. 

1) Fear.  The last time corruption ran rampant in Tuscaloosa the situation was similar.  Bahr Brunt’s cozy relationship with the NCAA and adoration from the media afforded them immunity and kept us in the crosshairs.  Those of us who were there remember.   And as we saw them come after us with the Cam situation…. It felt familiar. 

2) Hubris.  I’m part of this.  We are AUBURN dammit.  We don’t pay players.  We are above that.   They come to Auburn because they love it as much as we do.  They should want to play for free just to wear that uniform.  We won’t buy championships like those other filthy riff raff.  We have a fucking CREED, dammit.  Our boosters are less likely to line up to shovel money at kids.  They just are.  That goes back to gentleman Shug.  It’s not who we were or who we are.

3) Attractiveness.  This is on Gus.  Dye, Tuberville and even Chiz had a history of getting kids to the NFL. Say what you will but that’s gone.   Playing at AU gives you no draft day benefit of the doubt.  It’s not a positive.  We are not a gateway or a path.  Gus didn’t have and wouldn’t make the connections.  Harsin doesn’t have them.  Even if you’re on equal NIL footing - and AU is NOT - it’s not enough if you don’t believe the coaching staff can get you ready for your ultimate goal.  And let’s be honest.  Who here believes that now?

4) Strategerie.  We have a dysfunctional administration.  The worst. I love AU but the place is fucked up in a hundred dozen ways. 

5) Us. We are not the worst fan base when it comes to being obnoxious.  We are the most fickle. The most divided. The most likely to inflict damage on ourselves.  We rarely pull in the same direction. I’m one of the old ones who sees AU through a nostalgic lens.  The AU I grew up with and fell in love with does not exist any more.  It just doesn’t.   The AU experience was vastly different for my daughter than it was for me, my bother, my uncle, my dad or my grandparents. We say we are a family.  And we are.  A fractured family that doesn’t get along really well.  More than any other college I know of we have factions. Some just screaming into the sky.  Some actively plotting the demise of another faction. 

I may be wrong. I honestly don’t care if I am or not.  A lot of the AU I loved died years ago.   It’s my opinion, however, that AU will not be able to unite in a manner to compete in this idiotic NIL world.  Five, maybe ten years or less?  We will be what we’ve always denied and fought not to be- irrelevant.  A second tier program.  It would not surprise me to see the top 15-20 teams abandon the NCAA to establish a super conference.   If that happens AU won’t be among the chosen few. 

If I’m honest? I don’t really care any more.   The college game as it is now holds little interest to me. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2022, 10:31:25 AM »
Some details in the interview they mention here:

https://twitter.com/1thom_/status/1521134227630215168
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2022, 03:01:54 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2022, 10:01:02 PM »
Some details in the interview they mention here:

https://twitter.com/1thom_/status/1521134227630215168

Wrong. Just another fuckhole with a computer. Opinion no more or less valid than mine, CCT, yours or greasy weasel’s. 

Auburn is not in the game here.  We can’t even see the game from the where we sit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2022, 10:01:24 AM »
Wrong. Just another fuckhole with a computer. Opinion no more or less valid than mine, CCT, yours or greasy weasel’s. 

Auburn is not in the game here.  We can’t even see the game from the where we sit.

Sure.  Nothing happening. 

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Journal/Issues/2022/03/28/Upfront/Name-Image-Likeness.aspx
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2022, 10:22:48 AM »
Sure.  Nothing happening. 

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Journal/Issues/2022/03/28/Upfront/Name-Image-Likeness.aspx

Glad to see Auburn is trying to stay ahead of the game.  Or at least stay in the game.

I like the collective concept, and that may ultimately be the way college football, however it is governed, maintains some control on this thing.  I have no problem with athletes casing in, as long as it doesn't involve revenue sharing, which in my opinion, would be the beginning of the end for the sport.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions