Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Post Lockout 2022 MLB Thread

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
The Post Lockout 2022 MLB Thread
« on: March 15, 2022, 05:34:49 PM »
Spring Training is finally underway.  I saw a schedule, and the Angels, or somebody, was playing the "Guardians".  I stared at that one for a minute before it dawned on me that this is the Indians new, woke name. 

Baseball is going to look a little different this year, with quite a few rules changes, the most notable of which, is the Universal DH. I know we had some discussion on that a couple of years ago, and I was in favor of it, while most of you were not.  I think a lot of the argument against it centered around more strategy being required of managers.  I get that, but this ain't your daddy's baseball anymore.  There is almost zero strategy involved.  Bunting, steals, moving players over is sadly, a thing of the past.  Now, it's every pitcher throws 95-100, and every hitter comes out of his shoes on every swing. It's a 400 foot bomb, or hang another K sign on the outfield wall.  But I digress.

Looks like the pitch clock is coming in as well.  14 seconds with the bases empty, and 19 with runners on.

I did scan over an article, but I believe it confirmed that the idiotic shifts are null and void. If that's the case, Thank you Haysus.

Got a hand full of big time free agents still out there.  Carlos Correa is going to make someone happy.  May be back in Houston again.  Freddie has a lot of suitors, but I think someone is going to do something stupid and pay him too much for far too long.  He's about to be 33, and yes, he's playing damn good.  But I'm betting we're going to see an Albert Pujols situation play out again.  Hey, I hope the man gets his $$$.  Love everything he did for the ATL.  He was the face. But that's the nature of the game these days.

One guy that might put a team over the top is Nick Castellanos (sp?) Dude was a hitting machine last season.  What I read was that he wants to get back near home and has a lot of interest in the Marlins, but that franchise has a long way to go.

On the home front, according to the updated roster, if the season started today, the Braves would have Adam Duvall, Ronald Acuna, Jr. and Marcel Ozuna in the outfield.  I thought Ozuna was done after he and the Mrs. couldn't stop beating the shit out of each other with household objects.  Guess not.

I also read that Atlanta was serious about going after Justin Verlander, but that wasn't going to happen.  That makes me hap hap.  Glad to see they understand they need a true, proven #1 starter.  They have the sticks.

Thoughts?  How is your club looking?   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: The Post Lockout 2022 MLB Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 07:15:06 PM »
“Baseball is gonna look a little different this year..”
Not for some of us….

Although it is sad that Freddie won’t spend his career with the bravos. Makes what Chipper did all that more special.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 09:30:25 PM »
Yeah, I would have thought Freddie would be a lifer, but that’s been the exception rather the norm for some time now in pro sports.  Go back to Joe Montana, Brett Favre, Albert Pujols, Tom Brady...hell, even Michael Jordan.  The list is long.  Not that Freddie is in that rarified air, but he’s definitely a Hall of Famer.

On another note.  Obviously I’ve been living under a rock, or I just plain forgot.  Max Scherzer is a Met?  How did I miss that?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 07:46:20 AM »
Yeah, I would have thought Freddie would be a lifer, but that’s been the exception rather the norm for some time now in pro sports.  Go back to Joe Montana, Brett Favre, Albert Pujols, Tom Brady...hell, even Michael Jordan.  The list is long.  Not that Freddie is in that rarified air, but he’s definitely a Hall of Famer.

On another note.  Obviously I’ve been living under a rock, or I just plain forgot.  Max Scherzer is a Met?  How did I miss that?

The lockout news over shadowed that move right after.

The Freddie situation is very similar to puljols as jarhead can prob attest. Cards took some heat I imagine from many well intentioned but emotional fans. But in the end you can’t overpay an aging star with an “emotional contract”. Cards haven’t won a ws since but they’ve been in the thick of it all almost every year since. The angels? Not so much.

Freddie leaving sucks but it’s part of the game. He wanted too much for his age. Anything past 5 years makes zero sense and takes him almost to 40. Braves said the same about josh Donaldson and let him walk too. That was a good move. Braves get Acuna and ozuna back and now bring in Matt Olson - who is honestly just about Freddie’s equal on production. He’s only 26 and they just locked him into 8 years. I’m strangely ok with it all this soon. If fans can get past their affection for Freddie, this is an extremely good team. Better on paper than the World Series lineup. 

I like that the Freddie “staying or going” drama is now removed from the Braves. Now the Dodgers, Sox or Yankees can overpay for him like those teams often do.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 07:48:43 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 08:41:56 AM »
Fucking Stacey Abrams.

I'd love to see Freddie come to Chicago, but that won't be happening.  We will get nothing again and like it.
Marcus Stroman will join Kyle "Doc" Hendricks along with a few guys that will end up with 6+ eras.  But it's ok that they will give up a bunch of runs, because this batting lineup will average at least 2.11111 runs a game. 

If you need me, I will be over here wearing my 2016 World Series Champs memorabilia.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2022, 09:38:55 AM »
And just like that, things have changed.  Cubbies sign Seiya Suzuki from the Japanese beisbol league for $85M over 5 years.  Now we should be a solid contender for 3rd in the NL Central!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2022, 10:10:29 AM »
And just like that, things have changed.  Cubbies sign Seiya Suzuki from the Japanese beisbol league for $85M over 5 years.  Now we should be a solid contender for 3rd in the NL Central!

His family makes a mean motorcycle.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2022, 11:25:05 AM »
Freeman signs a 6 year deal with the Dodgers averaging $27 million per year.  I read it was the 3rd straight year the Dodgers have signed someone to a $100 million plus contract.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2022, 03:51:17 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2022, 01:09:14 PM »
Freeman signs a 6 year deal with the Dodgers averaging $27 million per year.  I read it was the 3rd straight year the Dodgers have signed someone to a $100 million plus contract.

Once the Braves, Sox and Yankees bailed out of the freeman charade - Dodgers had total leverage to actually pay him what he’s worth. Worked out well for everyone really.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2022, 12:29:43 PM »
As I referred to earlier with regard to Max Scherzer to the Mets, and me apparently taking up residence under a rock, another move went right over my head.  The Braves signed long time Dodgers reliever/closer, Kenley Jansen.  Hate to get someone at 35 years old in that role, but despite a few bumps in the road, he's always been a very effective closer.  Don't know if that will be his role, but I'd kind of like to have him as an option to Will Smith.  Smith got the job done, but I had zero confidence any time he took the bump.  Just not a closer to me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2022, 01:10:23 PM »
As I referred to earlier with regard to Max Scherzer to the Mets, and me apparently taking up residence under a rock, another move went right over my head.  The Braves signed long time Dodgers reliever/closer, Kenley Jansen.  Hate to get someone at 35 years old in that role, but despite a few bumps in the road, he's always been a very effective closer.  Don't know if that will be his role, but I'd kind of like to have him as an option to Will Smith.  Smith got the job done, but I had zero confidence any time he took the bump.  Just not a closer to me.
I need to know who is going to be the closer...had them both on my fantasy team last year.  Which one should I dump?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2022, 02:10:10 PM »
If you need me, I will be over here wearing my 2016 World Series Champs memorabilia.

And we are also 5 full seasons removed from their last championship, so you can bitch about the Cubs now.

Of course, when you guys win the WS this year, you won't be doing much bitching anyway.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2022, 02:17:28 PM »
And we are also 5 full seasons removed from their last championship, so you can bitch about the Cubs now.

Of course, when you guys win the WS this year, you won't be doing much bitching anyway.

Oh shit.  Some way too early, Spring Training reverse karma mojo smack.  I like it.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2022, 02:37:45 PM »
I honestly don't recognize most of the names on the Cubbies roster.  Certainly not the who's who it was 5 years ago.  But then, they seemed to go the way several teams have gone lately with the complete tear down/rebuild, like the Stro's, Braves and Red Sox.

I noticed they picked up a couple of former Braves hurlers in Chris Martin and Drew Smiley.  Martin is a big, 6'8" middle reliever who gave us some solid innings.  He's also a decent front man for Cold Play when he's not on the bump.  Drew Smiley was quietly 11-4 last year, but an ERA well over 4.00.  He could be a good 5th day starter in the rotation.

Picked up Andrelton Simmons as well, but that may just be giving him a shot to revive his career.  Great SS, but hasn't hit a lick in quite a while. 

So Buzz, are any of these no-names some hot prospects that you guys are looking to build around?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2022, 08:38:00 AM »
I honestly don't recognize most of the names on the Cubbies roster.  Certainly not the who's who it was 5 years ago.  But then, they seemed to go the way several teams have gone lately with the complete tear down/rebuild, like the Stro's, Braves and Red Sox.

I noticed they picked up a couple of former Braves hurlers in Chris Martin and Drew Smiley.  Martin is a big, 6'8" middle reliever who gave us some solid innings.  He's also a decent front man for Cold Play when he's not on the bump.  Drew Smiley was quietly 11-4 last year, but an ERA well over 4.00.  He could be a good 5th day starter in the rotation.

Picked up Andrelton Simmons as well, but that may just be giving him a shot to revive his career.  Great SS, but hasn't hit a lick in quite a while. 

So Buzz, are any of these no-names some hot prospects that you guys are looking to build around?

Watch out for Bucky LaGrange.  I hear he's got a solid hold on the 2nd base job.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2022, 10:15:55 AM »
Looks to me like the Cards line up will pretty much mirror what they put on the field in 21'.  Molina, Arenado, Edman, DeJong and Goldy on the infield.  I see Bader and O'Neil are back in the outfield as well. A lot of the same faces in the starting rotation, including Wainooooooo....

BTW, when the Cards and Mets play, if Waino and Scherzer ever match up, I may find a way to go.  That's bucket list level shizit for me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2022, 01:33:10 PM »
Snags, it will also be the last year you get to watch Waino and Molina.  Both said this is pretty much the last ride for them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2022, 11:27:34 AM »
Baseball!  Baseball!  We talking about Baseball?!

I went and looked at our starting rotation and my god!  Chris Holt and Darren Holmes (pitching coaches for the O's since no one has ever heard of them.) have their work cut out for them and will be earning their salaries this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2022, 12:41:58 PM »
Baseball!  Baseball!  We talking about Baseball?!

I went and looked at our starting rotation and my god!  Chris Holt and Darren Holmes (pitching coaches for the O's since no one has ever heard of them.) have their work cut out for them and will be earning their salaries this year.

And when they play the Cubs in the World Series you can say...

Sorry, just couldn't do it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions