Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Post Lockout 2022 MLB Thread

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: The Post Lockout 2022 MLB Thread
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2022, 04:42:49 PM »
I bitched about this to Jar/Buzz last night, but my tighty whities are still in a bunch.  The Braves did win with a walk off single last night, but to hear the post-game announcers say, “Snitker pushed all the right buttons”, gives me the gout.

If you have a tie game in the bottom of the 8th, you get your first two men on with no outs.  The two fastest guys on the team, BTW.  Your second place hitter at the plate.  One of the best closers in the game ready to pitch the 9th.  FOR GAWD SAKE, sacrifice the runners over.  You have 2nd and 3rd with one out and a simple fly ball basically gives you the game.  A ground out to the right side gives you the game.  You think any of that ever crossed Snitker’s brilliant baseball mind?  Hell no.  Bam….shot to the shortstop.  Double play.  Next batter, fly out that would have given you the game.

This is not football, where you holler WTF are you doing continuing to rush 3 while they’ve scored 35 straight points on you.  It’s not basketball where you complain that we’re taking way too many outside shots and need to get the ball inside.  This is Baseball For Dummies 101.  But, I guess the fans didn’t come to see you do something boring like bunt.  It’s swing so fucking hard at every pitch that you spin around and hit the ump with the bat. 

I’ve been on this soap box this entire season.  It’s not going to change.   

You tell em Uncle Rico.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2022, 05:24:44 PM »
I thought for sure that AU1 would be all up in here since, for the first time in 57 years, his Baltimore Glory Holes are kicking some ass.  9 in a row now, and I believe above .500.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2022, 05:29:36 PM »
I thought for sure that AU1 would be all up in here since, for the first time in 57 years, his Baltimore Glory Holes are kicking some ass.  9 in a row now, and I believe above .500.
In case you've missed it...and judging by the attendance you have...the Orioles are threatening to climb out of the cellar.  Actually they are at 47-47 now though. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2022, 09:57:46 AM »
In case you've missed it...and judging by the attendance you have...the Orioles are threatening to climb out of the cellar.  Actually they are at 47-47 now though.

Going to be fun watching them play the Braves in the WS.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2022, 10:28:20 AM »

I will do some Karma Cutting up in this bitch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2022, 10:45:40 AM »
Braves have to get by the Cheatin' Cards first
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2022, 11:25:06 AM »

Everyone does. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2022, 11:52:10 PM »
I don't watch much any more.  I have read the complaints about the All-or-Nothing nature of at-bats here.  Hits, bunts, steals, sacrifices mean little because everybody is swinging out of their shoes. 

On that note, the 2022 Atlanta Braves have hit more home runs prior to the All Star Break than any Braves team in history. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2022, 02:33:05 PM »
I don't watch much any more.  I have read the complaints about the All-or-Nothing nature of at-bats here.  Hits, bunts, steals, sacrifices mean little because everybody is swinging out of their shoes. 

On that note, the 2022 Atlanta Braves have hit more home runs prior to the All Star Break than any Braves team in history.

Dodgers manager, Dave Roberts, was on the Dan Patrick Show Friday.  Patrick addressed it with him, saying I don't want to sit through a 3 hour game to watch 4 home runs and 30 strike outs between the two teams.  Roberts told him he hated it too, but that's the way the game is played now.  And even the players' agents are telling them that home runs get you the big $$$.  Not batting average.  Not RBI's.  Not doubles. Not steals.

I was like, well you're the damn manager.  You can't tell any of your players to sacrifice a player over?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2022, 04:22:31 PM »
Dodgers manager, Dave Roberts, was on the Dan Patrick Show Friday.  Patrick addressed it with him, saying I don't want to sit through a 3 hour game to watch 4 home runs and 30 strike outs between the two teams.  Roberts told him he hated it too, but that's the way the game is played now.  And even the players' agents are telling them that home runs get you the big $$$.  Not batting average.  Not RBI's.  Not doubles. Not steals.

I was like, well you're the damn manager.  You can't tell any of your players to sacrifice a player over?

Play the “right way” and you’ve got multiple problems. 

1) Managers make a fraction of what players do.  And they know it.  Can’t risk alienating the egos in the clubhouse by asking them to put the team first. 
2) ESPN.  How do ego-driven players make the fat stacks and sell the most merchandise.  Getting that face on ESPN.  Hitting bombs.  Espn isn’t going to show a perfectly executed bunt. They will show some jackhole launching one into the seats. 
3) if you manage the “right way” you not only risk alienating the clubhouse. You also make it difficult for the team to attract big-name players, the kind that put fans in the seats.
4) Fans.  Most only have a superficial understanding of the game.  They don’t give a shit about seeing bunts or runners moved over.  They want to see fireworks.  Hell, I’ve even heard casual fans complaining over a pitching duel and a 1-0 win. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2022, 07:49:36 AM »

We may be cheatin' but we aren't anti-dentite.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Buzz Killington,Snaggletiger,
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2022, 09:26:07 AM »
home runs get you the big $$$.  Not batting average. 

Paging Bryce Harper and Shoehorn Ohhtony.....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2022, 09:27:43 AM »
Play the “right way” and you’ve got multiple problems. 

1) Managers make a fraction of what players do.  And they know it.  Can’t risk alienating the egos in the clubhouse by asking them to put the team first. 
2) ESPN.  How do ego-driven players make the fat stacks and sell the most merchandise.  Getting that face on ESPN.  Hitting bombs.  Espn isn’t going to show a perfectly executed bunt. They will show some jackhole launching one into the seats. 
3) if you manage the “right way” you not only risk alienating the clubhouse. You also make it difficult for the team to attract big-name players, the kind that put fans in the seats.
4) Fans.  Most only have a superficial understanding of the game.  They don’t give a shit about seeing bunts or runners moved over.  They want to see fireworks.  Hell, I’ve even heard casual fans complaining over a pitching duel and a 1-0 win.

Plus he was referencing Dave Roberts. If you know of his style even remotely, you know why. I find the dude worthless. Any idiot could manage that collection of talent in LA to a playoff birth.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2022, 10:03:09 AM »
Trade deadline coming up.  Rumors are the Braves may move Ian Anderson to try and upgrade the starting pitching.  Plus, Adam Duvall is now out for the season, so they will most likely try to land an outfielder. 

Looks like long time Cubbie favorite, Willson Contreras, will be heading out of town.  I would hope they'd do him a solid and get him to a contender.

Any moves you see coming?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2022, 10:21:49 AM »
Trade deadline coming up.  Rumors are the Braves may move Ian Anderson to try and upgrade the starting pitching.  Plus, Adam Duvall is now out for the season, so they will most likely try to land an outfielder. 

Looks like long time Cubbie favorite, Willson Contreras, will be heading out of town.  I would hope they'd do him a solid and get him to a contender.

It's that time of year where the Cubs trade off their best players for some magic beans and a broken cappuccino maker.
Hearing rumors that Contreras and Robinson may be traded to the Mets for a few of their lesser prospects.  Sounds about right to me.
Also another rumor that Ian Happ is on the trading block.  Kind of surprised they didn't want to throw him in on the Mets trade...especially if the Mets have a working ice maker to sweeten the deal.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 01:23:19 PM by Buzz Killington »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2022, 11:41:35 AM »
It's that time of year where the Cubs trade off their best layers for some magic beans and a broken cappuccino maker.
Hearing rumors that Contreras and Robinson may be traded to the Mets for a few of their lesser prospects.  Sounds about right to me.
Also another rumor that Ian Happ is on the trading block.  Kind of surprised they didn't want to throw him in on the Mets trade...especially if the Mets have a working ice maker to sweeten the deal.

Your cappuccino and ice maker comments made me go off on a tangent.  Watching an episode of Andy Griffith the other day.  It was about the two guys running a crooked shooting gallery booth at the fair.  Andy caught them and made them give him the gun with the proper sights.  He's winning everything on the shelf, and asks Helen what she wants next.

The Percolator.

Damn it!  Do you know how much money I've wasted at fairs trying to win a freakin' percolator? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2022, 01:25:29 PM »
Your cappuccino and ice maker comments made me go off on a tangent.  Watching an episode of Andy Griffith the other day.  It was about the two guys running a crooked shooting gallery booth at the fair.  Andy caught them and made them give him the gun with the proper sights.  He's winning everything on the shelf, and asks Helen what she wants next.

The Percolator.

Damn it!  Do you know how much money I've wasted at fairs trying to win a freakin' percolator?
I'm surprised they didn't have folks shootin each other
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2022, 02:52:18 PM »
I'm surprised they didn't have folks shootin each other

What was so funny was Andy asking him if the gun was a .22.  Nothing like a little live ammunition to liven up a fair.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2022, 08:08:53 PM »
What was so funny was Andy asking him if the gun was a .22.  Nothing like a little live ammunition to liven up a fair.

.22, .23   whatever works.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2022, 08:17:22 AM »

I want Putin as the Cards new GM.  Trading a chick convicted of weed possession for an international arms dealer (and to top it off, the team you're trading her to has people in jail for the same thing).

Rumors here in the Lou of Sato.  But we need pitching.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions