Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

훨씬 더 나은 텔레비전

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
훨씬 더 나은 텔레비전
« on: February 28, 2022, 09:52:06 AM »
That translates to "much better television" 

At this point there's no real denying it in my mind.  Television and movies created in South Korea are more imaginative, more compelling, better written, better cast.... better in every way than the typical American production.  Yes, there are some great series in the US but for every Breaking Bad, there's a "New Hawaii Five-O" or some other formulaic shit that's just flat out painful to watch. 

Squid Game was a masterful series. The only thing wrong with it was the caricatures of greedy capitalists at the center of the game. Everything else was fantastic, even if you didn't completely understand the differences in culture. 

The film Train to Busan took the zombie story that's been done a thousand times and still found a way to make it one of the best horror/gore entries in the genre.  It was superb, mixing shock, humor, horror, hope, hopelessness, fear, rage and sadness nearly perfectly. If you haven't seen it, it's definitely worth the watch. 

That brings me to Netflix's All of Us Are Dead, which is one of the best efforts in the zombie category I've ever watched.  The film follows a group of high school students, each with their own unique issues, as their school becomes ground zero for a viral outbreak.  They battle zombies, their own prejudices, their own hidden infatuations (with each other) and governmental failures as the virus mutates and spreads rapidly through the town. 

The cast is excellent, particularly the bully who takes his zombie turn in a self-aware direction. In-Soo Yoo as Yoon Gwi Nam is really, really good oozing a creepy cool menace. The rest of the cast is just as good. It's a difficult feat in a large cast to get you to know and care about all of the individuals and their backstories, but this one does it.

This is so much better than what Walking Dead became it boggles the mind.  The zombie effects in AOUAD are awesome and the zombie actors are even great. 

So much fucking better than US television.  What sets Korean TV apart to me is that it doesn't have to lower itself to dick, shit, fart, fuck or piss jokes...it doesn't have to ramp up the vulgarity...it doesn't have to throw in the dull stupidity that are hallmarks of US TV.  In this case it takes a really good story, adds in fantastic performances and a quality script and runs with it. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 10:41:45 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Re: 훨씬 더 나은 텔레비전
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 05:40:31 PM »
I thought based on the title of this thread that Jim had come back to sell us Korean wind chimes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions