Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Concert Time

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Concert Time
« on: February 09, 2022, 12:34:15 PM »
Just found out about a concert coming our way down here in the Circle City.  Although on occasion, we get a decent act or two that will make a stop here, Dothan is not exactly a destination for the big name bands.  A few years back, a group took a shut down Coca-Cola plant here and converted it into a an event venue. Appropriately called, The Plant.  They get a steady stream of up and coming talent, especially country acts who may have just gotten air play on their first song, and are trying to promote it everywhere.

Just saw a concert scheduled for April 9th, with two bands I imagine none of you have ever heard of.  Dirty Honey is a band I came across last year, and have really come to like a lot.  My first love in music is straight forward, hard driving rock.  Always has been.  It needs a little funk and definitely some killer lead guitar.  Think early Aerosmith...Back in the Saddle...Last Child (Dirty Honey covers this)...Sweet Emotion.  Not that Aerosmith is my favorite, just good examples of the style I like in rock.

Dirty Honey checks off the boxes with a bit of a Southern Rock flare.  They'll be opening for Mammoth WVH.  Honestly, I know nothing about their music.  But it's founder, lead vocalist and bass player is Eddie's boy, Wolfgang Van Halen.  I'll go just to check his stuff out.

I'm well aware that none of those acts are anyone's thing on here.  Just ready to get back out and see some good, live music.  Anybody have any shows lined up to go see?     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: Concert Time
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 12:52:45 PM »
Just found out about a concert coming our way down here in the Circle City.  Although on occasion, we get a decent act or two that will make a stop here, Dothan is not exactly a destination for the big name bands.  A few years back, a group took a shut down Coca-Cola plant here and converted it into a an event venue. Appropriately called, The Plant.  They get a steady stream of up and coming talent, especially country acts who may have just gotten air play on their first song, and are trying to promote it everywhere.

Just saw a concert scheduled for April 9th, with two bands I imagine none of you have ever heard of.  Dirty Honey is a band I came across last year, and have really come to like a lot.  My first love in music is straight forward, hard driving rock.  Always has been.  It needs a little funk and definitely some killer lead guitar.  Think early Aerosmith...Back in the Saddle...Last Child (Dirty Honey covers this)...Sweet Emotion.  Not that Aerosmith is my favorite, just good examples of the style I like in rock.

Dirty Honey checks off the boxes with a bit of a Southern Rock flare.  They'll be opening for Mammoth WVH.  Honestly, I know nothing about their music.  But it's founder, lead vocalist and bass player is Eddie's boy, Wolfgang Van Halen.  I'll go just to check his stuff out.

I'm well aware that none of those acts are anyone's thing on here.  Just ready to get back out and see some good, live music.  Anybody have any shows lined up to go see?   

Caught Todd Snider at Vinyl in Pcola a couple weeks back.  Great fucking show.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 01:17:57 PM »

He was better when he still toured with Twisted Sister.

As for Dirty Honey, I've never heard of them.  I've eaten some but that's about it. 

Mammoth WVH I have heard of and heard, though.  I get that he named his band to honor his dad because Mammoth was Van Halen's original band name.  But it's still stupid.

Musically, it's not there yet.  He's okay on the guitar but lyrics are mediocre and vocals don't even get to mediocre level. He reminds me a little of Ace Frehley as a solo perfomer.  Both can play guitar (Ace is an exponentially better guitarist than WVH) but the lyrics are clumsy and occasionally cringe-inducing and the vocal range is for shit.  What I'm saying is fat boy just can't sing and does not by the wildest stretch have the charisma/presence to front a touring band.

Wolfie's band would be so much better if he hired some songwriters and brought in a true front man to handle that part of it.  If he fades into the background and concentrates on his guitar work, there might be a chance for this to be more than just a curiosity act.  As it stands now, though?  If his name was Wolfgang VanDelay there would be no tour. No album. No record contract.

I love concerts. Always have. It might be worth seeing just to say you did in case Wolfing figures things out and the band turns into something one day.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 02:05:32 PM »
He was better when he still toured with Twisted Sister.

As for Dirty Honey, I've never heard of them.  I've eaten some but that's about it. 

Mammoth WVH I have heard of and heard, though.  I get that he named his band to honor his dad because Mammoth was Van Halen's original band name.  But it's still stupid.

Musically, it's not there yet.  He's okay on the guitar but lyrics are mediocre and vocals don't even get to mediocre level. He reminds me a little of Ace Frehley as a solo perfomer.  Both can play guitar (Ace is an exponentially better guitarist than WVH) but the lyrics are clumsy and occasionally cringe-inducing and the vocal range is for shit.  What I'm saying is fat boy just can't sing and does not by the wildest stretch have the charisma/presence to front a touring band.

Wolfie's band would be so much better if he hired some songwriters and brought in a true front man to handle that part of it.  If he fades into the background and concentrates on his guitar work, there might be a chance for this to be more than just a curiosity act.  As it stands now, though?  If his name was Wolfgang VanDelay there would be no tour. No album. No record contract.

I love concerts. Always have. It might be worth seeing just to say you did in case Wolfing figures things out and the band turns into something one day.

So, you're saying he should go into exports, or imports?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 02:16:36 PM »
Saw 3 Doors Down with Seether opening back in the summer at The Wharf in Orange Beach/Gulf Shores.  I'm okay with 3DD, but my buddy is a fan boy and anytime they're within 3-4 hours, he's going.  So, why not?  Drink beer and listen to live music.

Seether was a strange, strange act.  I don't give a rat's ass about their music one way or another, but their stage show was extremely distracting.  There was no front lighting.  All the lights were behind them, so all you saw the whole night were these dark figures on stage playing instruments.  Couldn't tell who was doing what. And they never stopped playing.  They would end a song, and one of the guitarists would go straight into some unrecognizable riff.  Sounded like me picking up my Strat and farting around, trying to land on some combination of chords or notes that seemed to go together.  It had no relation to the last song, or the next.  Just some 90 second, off the wall riff.  Weird band.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 02:26:27 PM »

Been listening to Dirty Honey on the ihearts for a while now.  That should be a good show if you like more of the rock in the southern rock.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 02:32:05 PM »
Been listening to Dirty Honey on the ihearts for a while now.  That should be a good show if you like more of the rock in the southern rock.

Truth.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 02:41:34 PM »
So, you're saying he should go into exports, or imports?

He should import a lead singer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2022, 02:58:02 PM »
If you ain't hanging out at Cowboys, you ain't got no taste!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2022, 03:16:31 PM »
JHS hosted two "mega-concerts", mostly country, plus Leonard Skin Nerd the second year.  Kenny Chesney was the headliner the first year, and the event drew a huge crowd.  The second year featured Blake Shelton as the headliner, but the crowd was substantially less.  That may be why they stopped doing it. Never heard, but it was a damn fun all day event. 

I bring those up to make a different point.  I have no problem with alkeyhawl being served in SEC venues, including JHS for our foosballz games.  I think it's long overdue.  But those all day concerts were a different story. Not that they shouldn't have served, by any means.  I had my fair share of semi-cold brews.  But damn, was that a bad look.  My beloved Jordan Hare covered in severely wasted patrons with thousands of beer cans trashing every inch of the place. I think I'd rather attend one of those in somebody else's house.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2022, 02:57:04 PM »
kenny chesney ...July 16th  Seattle, WA

been canceled twice. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2022, 03:31:25 PM »
kenny chesney ...
been canceled twice.

You dodged two bullets. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2022, 04:09:16 PM »
kenny chesney ...July 16th  Seattle, WA

been canceled twice.

The guy puts on a great show.  He works hard on stage.  Contrast that to Blake Shelton, who stands still in front of the mic for 90 minutes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2022, 04:15:42 PM »
Another "country" act that's worth seeing is Thomas Rhett.  Real high energy.  He did everything from pull up some stools and play an acoustic set with his dad, Rhett Aikens, to a cover of Bruno Mars, complete with dancing choreography.  Good entertainer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2022, 04:16:54 PM »
saw him his last show there. Did not go this time because I heard you were going to be there. Actually, could not go but am a big fan. Of Todd. Of you, too, of course.

In Dothan I’ve seen cool and the gang, steppenwolf, greg allman, kristofferson, Bob Dylan and Rodney Crowell. And likely some I’ve forgotten.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2022, 03:10:08 AM »
Another "country" act that's worth seeing is Thomas Rhett.  Real high energy.  He did everything from pull up some stools and play an acoustic set with his dad, Rhett Aikens, to a cover of Bruno Mars, complete with dancing choreography.  Good entertainer.
Dude. That ain’t my truck…

For some reason Nashville blackballed Rhett. But he’s had the last laugh with all of those hits he’s been writing. It took him a while, but he got his revenge.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2022, 12:54:26 PM »
You dodged two bullets.

Wow.  Rare agreement on a musical act.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2022, 03:08:55 PM »
Bumpitty Bump to the original post.

Caught the show Saturday night.  For whatever reason, Eddie's boy didn't show last minute, so no Mammoth WVH. I was kind of bummed because I had pulled up a lot of his stuff, and have been pleasantly surprised.  Really wanted to see his band live, but whatever.  The fill in was solid.  Naked Gypsy Queen is a group of young guys who cut their teeth on the Nashville club circuit. Just released their first LP.  Good, hard driving rock with some blues mixed in.  Came out with a lot of energy, played their set in about 35 minutes, and said we'll meet y'all at the merch table.  I like it.  Knew nothing about them or their music, so we got a good sampling, and time for the main course.

Dirty Honey was exactly what I hoped they would be.  Love their sound and especially the work of guitarist, John Notto.  Front man, Marc Labelle, has the quintessential rock voice.  Strong, a little higher pitched, and a bit raspy.  Think Axl Rose.  I actually left after about 8 songs, because I was a couple of double shot burrbinz and DCP's in, (Hour and a half time) and I did not need to have anything additional to impair my drive home. Plus, there's something about this band that made it okay to cut out early. 

This is not a negative in any way, shape or form.  There are certain bands that stick to the script.  AC/DC, ZZ Top etc. made their living off staying within a certain framework.  Once saw an interview with Billy Gibbons, where he said amazing how far they've come only knowing 3 chords.  Same with Dirty Honey.  Love their sound, but every song is pretty much a slight variation of the song before.  Same basic framework.  My choices were to stay there another hour and have no business driving, or get home safe. I chose the latter.

BTW, I'm not watching good, live music without some enhancement, so it was time to leave.  Overall, I've had worse Saturday nights.         
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2022, 10:59:43 AM »
  Overall, I've had worse Saturday nights.       

Samson VFW?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2022, 11:03:09 AM »
Samson VFW?

That ranks right up there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions