Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Everybody, Let's Let Cooler Heads Prevail

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Everybody, Let's Let Cooler Heads Prevail
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2022, 01:55:04 PM »
Let's also interrupt the pearl-clutching and hand-wringing to note that, other than Neil sounding off with his preference, NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE TO JOE ROGAN'S CONTENT.  Neil has no power, just a platform from which to speak.
And I have the power to tell him to fuck off and go about my business listening to real music like Walker Wheeler, Jr.   :rofl:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Snaggletiger,
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2022, 02:02:30 PM »
Let's also interrupt the pearl-clutching and hand-wringing to note that, other than Neil sounding off with his preference, NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE TO JOE ROGAN'S CONTENT.  Neil has no power, just a platform from which to speak.

Threatening to kidnap, demanding ransom, extortion.... all crimes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2022, 02:23:21 PM »
Neil Young has every right to take that position and yes, take his music off Spotify.  Technically, it isn't true censorship, although it would be right on the door step of it if Spotify complied and closed Rogan down. My issue was two-fold.  First, that Young was self-absorbed enough to think making his demands would be taken seriously. I thought it was laughable.

Second, this type of move wreaks of cancel culture.  I don't like what you have to say; therefore, I need to shut you down.  It's one thing to say I choose not listen to you, I choose not be associated with you, or I prefer to change the channel etc. Everyone is free to choose. But to make demands that those you disagree with be silenced..... 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2022, 02:43:43 PM »
Threatening to kidnap, demanding ransom, extortion.... all crimes.

Those are all crimes against a person...not property.

Try harder.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

wesfau2

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2022, 02:45:17 PM »
Technically, it isn't true censorship, although it would be right on the door step of it

No.  It's actually not.

Second, this type of move wreaks of cancel culture.

What a bullshit canard.  Name me some cancelled folk, please.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2022, 03:45:54 PM »
No.  It's actually not.

What a bullshit canard.  Name me some cancelled folk, please.

Gina Carano: Fired from The Mandalorian for "controversial posts.

Scott Cawthorn: Creator of Five Nights of Freddie video game.  Came out with a "pro-life" tweet and claimed to be Christian.

Ryan Anderson:  Wrote the book, When Harry Became Sally.  Amazon dropped the book because the LGBTQ community complained.

Mike Lindell:  Creator of My Pillow.  20 retailers, including Bed, Bath & Beyond, dropped his products when he continued claims that he was a Trump supporter and there was election fraud.

Chris Harrison:  Long time host of The Bachelor.  Dropped after he made the plea that people not rush to judgment when one of the contestants was being canceled herself for attending an Antebellum party years earlier.

Morgan Wallen:  Country singer who was caught on video after a drunken night with friends, telling his buddies to pick up one of them who had passed out on the lawn, by saying (Para.) "Pick that bitch ass n****r up."  His record label dropped him immediately. All radio stations across the country stopped playing his music, and the The Country Music Academy barred him from being eligible for any awards.  Ironically, those sick of cancel culture, started buying his last album in droves and made him the #1 selling country recording artist for most of 2021.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2022, 03:55:20 PM »
Gina Carano: Fired from The Mandalorian for "controversial posts.

So, she lost a job.  Not cancelled.

Scott Cawthorn: Creator of Five Nights of Freddie video game.  Came out with a "pro-life" tweet and claimed to be Christian.

Who?  Can you be cancelled if no one knows you?

Ryan Anderson:  Wrote the book, When Harry Became Sally.  Amazon dropped the book because the LGBTQ community complained.

The guy with ownership of a $92MM story (film take only...not counting publishing) can't find anyone to talk to?

Mike Lindell:  Creator of My Pillow.  20 retailers, including Bed, Bath & Beyond, dropped his products when he continued claims that he was a Trump supporter and there was election fraud.

This dumb motherfucker is on every alt-platform around when he's not being kicked around every courtroom in the land.  Not sure you understand "cancelled."

Chris Harrison:  Long time host of The Bachelor.  Dropped after he made the plea that people not rush to judgment when one of the contestants was being canceled herself for attending an Antebellum party years earlier.

Who?  Again, someone lost a job.  That's not cancellation.

Morgan Wallen:  Country singer who was caught on video after a drunken night with friends, telling his buddies to pick up one of them who had passed out on the lawn, by saying (Para.) "Pick that bitch ass n****r up."  His record label dropped him immediately. All radio stations across the country stopped playing his music, and the The Country Music Academy barred him from being eligible for any awards.  Ironically, those sick of cancel culture, started buying his last album in droves and made him the #1 selling country recording artist for most of 2021.

Currently has 30+ scheduled tour dates on his website.  Again, not really what one would consider "cancelled."

The "fuck your feelings" crowd really seems to only have problems with non-governmental (read: private/market) consequences for their dumbshit sounding off.  Want to not be "cancelled"?  Show up, do you job and don't say dumb shit to people with cameras and microphones.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2022, 04:27:02 PM »
Hey...they called his bluff!  I hope all the redass around here will subside for a while.

https://twitter.com/shannonpareil/status/1486449151852236803
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2022, 05:03:28 PM »

No pearl clutching at all....I actually agree Wes, but it still doesn't mean he isnt wrong. Its a ransom/extortion so its not simply an "opinion" or "preference". It was a damn threat to Spotify. Doesn't matter If someone is trying to squash/extort Rogan, Sharpton, Obama, Trump, Rodgers, anyone. Its not right in the United States. Thats not how we do things. Its a bad bad precedent to set, to try and hold a private entity hostage because you don't like something someone said that's a member of that entity. Neil has every right to think or attempt this, sure. Spotify has every right to remove Rogan or say nothing. There is no govt involvement here, you are correct there. But to normalize this goes down a dangerous and slippery slope. If Spotify is smart, it will ignore this and call Neil's bluff. Lets see if that actually happens.

edit: just saw your tweet, and good on Spotify for letting the free market rein supreme. Neil only cancelled himself which is really the ideal outcome in a country like ours. Dig your own hole and lie in it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 05:07:31 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2022, 05:05:26 PM »
I actually agree Wes, but it still doesn't mean he isnt wrong. Doesn't matter If someone is trying to squash/extort Rogan, Sharpton, Obama, Trump, Rodgers, anyone. Its not right in the United States. Thats not how we do things. Its a bad bad precedent to set, to try and hold a private entity hostage because you don't like something someone said that's a member of that entity. Neil has every right to think or attempt this, sure. Spotify has every right to remove Rogan or say nothing. There is no govt involvement here, you are correct there. But to normalize this goes down a dangerous and slippery slope. If Spotify is smart, it will ignore this and call Neil's bluff. Lets see if that actually happens.

Psssst....look one post above you.  Spotify did.

Much ado about nothing at fucking all.  Typical.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2022, 05:08:43 PM »
Psssst....look one post above you.  Spotify did.

Much ado about nothing at fucking all.  Typical.

I just saw it and made an edit. Duly noted.

Its much ado about nothing now, because Spotify made the right decision. Many other companies would have caved and it would have been a big deal.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
CCTAU,
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2022, 05:16:55 PM »
Many other companies would have caved and it would have been a big deal.

No.  No, no they won't.  That's why all the pearl-clutching is so silly.

Money talks and Spotify gave Joe R. $100MM.  The money will always talk.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2022, 05:49:01 PM »
No.  No, no they won't.  That's why all the pearl-clutching is so silly.

Money talks and Spotify gave Joe R. $100MM.  The money will always talk.

I love ya weskie, but as evidenced by your last several posts ITT - you're doing more the pearl clutching here on behalf of ole Neil. Remember who threw down the Gauntlet preemptively - Not anyone here, not spotify, not Joe rogan. Neil did. The real pearl clutching here was done him my man.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2022, 05:52:25 PM »
I love ya weskie, but as evidenced by your last several posts ITT - you're doing more the pearl clutching here on behalf of ole Neil.

wat?

Remember who threw down the Gauntlet preemptively - Not anyone here, not spotify, not Joe rogan. Neil did. The real pearl clutching here was done him my man.

Sure.  He made a decision based on the presentation/affiliation of his art.  The rest of the class in here just couldn't wait to weigh in on "cancel culture" (which is not a fucking thing that even exists.)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2022, 06:12:47 PM »

wat?

Sure.  He made a decision based on the presentation/affiliation of his art.  The rest of the class in here just couldn't wait to weigh in on "cancel culture" (which is not a fucking thing that even exists.)

WRONG!!!

Spotify didn't call anyone's bluff. It's his music.  He wanted it off.  They complied. 

Not sure you understand what cancel culture is either.  A person doesn't have to lose everything or cease to exist publicly to be the victim of cancel culture.  You cited Chris Harrison as just someone who lost a job.  Bullshit.  The SJW mob came after him and the show, simply because they had wrongly labeled one of the show's contestants as racist.  He didn't say or do anything wrong, only asked people not to rush to judgment. Said nothing detrimental to the show, but they fired their long time host simply to appease the mob. That's being canceled.

Being the victim of cancel culture also doesn't mean you can't come back from it.  Morgan Wallen was absolutely dropped like a hot potato after the mob came after him.  Yes, he used the buzz word that automatically marks you as a dumbass racist.  But you and I and every damn person who came after him knows full well there was zero racist intent.  But that didn't matter.  Cancel culture says you're done.  No chance to explain yourself.  No chance to make amends.  Two years ago, he would probably never have been heard from again.  But he had fans who went overboard to support him, not just because they liked his music, but also to give a big FUCK YOU to cancel culture.

Gina Carano:  Absolutely canceled.  She didn't say a damn thing that shed a bad light on her show.  She said some things that weren't popular with a certain segment of society.  They went off on her on social media and the squeaky wheel got the grease.  Fired.  A victim of cancel culture.

When the mob disagrees with you and comes after you in any attempt to ostracize, or hurt you financially or reputation wise, that's cancel culture. It absolutely does exist. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2022, 06:22:44 PM »
WRONG!!!

Spotify didn't call anyone's bluff. It's his music.  He wanted it off.  They complied. 

Not sure you understand what cancel culture is either.  A person doesn't have to lose everything or cease to exist publicly to be the victim of cancel culture.  You cited Chris Harrison as just someone who lost a job.  Bullshit.  The SJW mob came after him and the show, simply because they had wrongly labeled one of the show's contestants as racist.  He didn't say or do anything wrong, only asked people not to rush to judgment. Said nothing detrimental to the show, but they fired their long time host simply to appease the mob. That's being canceled.

Being the victim of cancel culture also doesn't mean you can't come back from it.  Morgan Wallen was absolutely dropped like a hot potato after the mob came after him.  Yes, he used the buzz word that automatically marks you as a dumbass racist.  But you and I and every damn person who came after him knows full well there was zero racist intent.  But that didn't matter.  Cancel culture says you're done.  No chance to explain yourself.  No chance to make amends.  Two years ago, he would probably never have been heard from again.  But he had fans who went overboard to support him, not just because they liked his music, but also to give a big FUCK YOU to cancel culture.

Gina Carano:  Absolutely canceled.  She didn't say a damn thing that shed a bad light on her show.  She said some things that weren't popular with a certain segment of society.  They went off on her on social media and the squeaky wheel got the grease.  Fired.  A victim of cancel culture.

When the mob disagrees with you and comes after you in any attempt to ostracize, or hurt you financially or reputation wise, that's cancel culture. It absolutely does exist. 

I'm not taking the time to pick this apart (heading to a Todd Snider show at Vinyl), but this is all sorts of wrong.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2022, 06:27:34 PM »
Those are all crimes against a person...not property.

Try harder.

Do better. 

Extortion is a crime even when it's directed at a business.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2022, 06:32:39 PM »
So, she lost a job.  Not cancelled.

You don't understand the meaning of the word canceled. 

She was terminated from her employment not for performance, not for budgetary reasons, not for illegal or unethical behavior. 

Her employment was ended because she expressed an opinion that is not illegal, unethical or even that controversial.

If you don't think loss of your means of income and an effort to keep you from obtaining additional employment -- because you have an opinion that runs counter to the herd -- is being canceled?

To use the words of your hero?  C'mon, man! 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 06:35:03 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2022, 07:08:33 PM »

wat?

I never mentioned cancel culture. I’m just saying you are way over minimizing this type of thing. If it happens to you and you suffer because of it, you might feel different. I’m extremely tolerant of peoples views and opinions. I don’t actually agree with Rogan on a ton of things. But I’ll defend the fact that he can say what he wants as long as he’s not directly hurting someone in an illegal manner. I think if you were extorted by the mob, you’d change your tune.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
CCTAU,
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2022, 07:23:56 PM »
I never mentioned cancel culture. I’m just saying you are way over minimizing this type of thing. If it happens to you and you suffer because of it, you might feel different. I’m extremely tolerant of peoples views and opinions. I don’t actually agree with Rogan on a ton of things. But I’ll defend the fact that he can say what he wants as long as he’s not directly hurting someone in an illegal manner. I think if you were extorted by the mob, you’d change your tune.

When in history have the ones demanding that others be silenced EVER been on the right side. 

That's all that matters. 

And wes is smarter than he's acting here.  If you tell someone they can't continue their employment because they hold a different opinion than you do -- one that has no bearing on their performance -- that's wrong.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions