Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Chizik back in the ring

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Chizik back in the ring
« on: January 06, 2022, 11:38:12 AM »
Heard today that our own Gene Chizik will take the head coaching position for the Birmingham Stallions/Vulcans/Steel/Fire/Forge or whatever they decide to call the USFL team for the not-so-Magic City. 

Looking forward to numerous hats but no cattle and helmets being precisely lined up. 

Here's a thought I had, though.  Cam (bless him) is poison in the NFL.  When his contract with Carolina is done I have a hard time seeing any other franchise picking him up.  His level of play can't overcome the outrageous outfits and outsized personality any more.  Do I think he's a better QB than probably 20 of the 32 in the league?  Yes, I do.  But he's not a plug and play because he is a distraction.  He can't keep his head down and do the work.   

That being the case? What would a Chizik-led Birmingham franchise look like with Cam running the offense?  I'd pay to see it.  I'd buy tickets. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Chizik back in the ring
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 11:56:58 AM »
Jeebuz Chrish.  Starting another USFL?  Those leagues aren't even lasting a full season anymore.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 11:58:25 AM »
I doubt the long-term viability of a previously failed endeavor, but I think it's good for B'ham and I wish the Chiz nothing but good luck.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 12:22:45 PM »
Jeebuz Chrish.  Starting another USFL?  Those leagues aren't even lasting a full season anymore.

Let me remind y'all that the USFL was fine before Trump and a few other Millionaires let their egos get the better of them in thinking they could compete with the NFL and move it to the fall. THAT was the downfall of the USFL, not the spring. Speaking strictly USFL here not XFL or any of the others. The USFL salaries were on par with the NFL but in the fall the revenues were NOT. Hopefully there have been some lessons learned jotted down since then.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 12:33:38 PM »
I doubt the long-term viability of a previously failed endeavor, but I think it's good for B'ham and I wish the Chiz nothing but good luck.

Was telling a few others on here earlier this same thing in re to Chiz and Gus: they failed for 2 very different reasons.

GUS: I don't think there is any fixing Gus. He is what he is once you realize it. You've seen his ceiling. He really is an over glorified HS coach and a goober of a redneck, who knows how to sell his snake oil. He had a gimmick that ran out and knew NOT what to do at that point. While running the O in both 2010 and 2013, he was gifted two generational type players that improvised with pure talent and made things happen before anyone caught onto the Read Option style of play he liked.  He has/had no network to fall back on. Offensive coaches, other than his own personal lackeys, steer clear of him. He is what you see now. A guy who largely runs a stale HS offense, with yes men around him, occasionally pulling rabbits out of his ass, enormous amounts of coach speak, and largely in denial about his own failures anytime a microphone is put near his mouth.

GENE: Gosh, what an enormous amount of hubris and ego. But the guy is clearly intelligent. He knows Xs and Os, recruiting, staff assembly. Gene was more focused on helmets, all hat, his own ego, book than what he guys were doing OFF the field or in the film room. Gene has the ability to be a good coach, you can tell if you ever watched him as a DC or as an analyst on SECN. And its sad to watch because the dude is uber smart as far as on field alignments and adjustments. But my god, Gene loves him some Gene. If he can ever get past that, perhaps he can be a very good coach. Its at least possible with him. Although probably not likely.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 01:38:53 PM »
Was telling a few others on here earlier this same thing in re to Chiz and Gus: they failed for 2 very different reasons.

GUS: I don't think there is any fixing Gus. He is what he is once you realize it. You've seen his ceiling. He really is an over glorified HS coach and a goober of a redneck, who knows how to sell his snake oil. He had a gimmick that ran out and knew NOT what to do at that point. While running the O in both 2010 and 2013, he was gifted two generational type players that improvised with pure talent and made things happen before anyone caught onto the Read Option style of play he liked.  He has/had no network to fall back on. Offensive coaches, other than his own personal lackeys, steer clear of him. He is what you see now. A guy who largely runs a stale HS offense, with yes men around him, occasionally pulling rabbits out of his ass, enormous amounts of coach speak, and largely in denial about his own failures anytime a microphone is put near his mouth.

GENE: Gosh, what an enormous amount of hubris and ego. But the guy is clearly intelligent. He knows Xs and Os, recruiting, staff assembly. Gene was more focused on helmets, all hat, his own ego, book than what he guys were doing OFF the field or in the film room. Gene has the ability to be a good coach, you can tell if you ever watched him as a DC or as an analyst on SECN. And its sad to watch because the dude is uber smart as far as on field alignments and adjustments. But my god, Gene loves him some Gene. If he can ever get past that, perhaps he can be a very good coach. Its at least possible with him. Although probably not likely.

Gus loves some Gus, too.  I think any coach who reaches the apex of his industry (or subcategory thereof) HAS to have that sort of ego/confidence.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 01:56:16 PM »
Gus loves some Gus, too.  I think any coach who reaches the apex of his industry (or subcategory thereof) HAS to have that sort of ego/confidence.

The ones who end up being great can see past their own bubble, though.  I hate to use some of these, but...

Bryant.  Realized that his way of doing things was stuck in the mud.  Brought in the wishbone and built his legacy.  He doesn't do that?  I doubt anybody remembers him today.  He was also willing to connect with other coaches, learn what they did and then cheat like a motherfucker to take those ideas. 

Saban.  He constantly adapts his strategies based on personnel and trends.   Beat his ass with the read option?  He's going to bitch about it while assembling the talent it takes to run it.  See also connect, learn, cheat, take.

Dye. Wishbone. Then the power I. Then a split back set. He adapted year after year.  The offense with Randy Campbell bore no resemblance to the one Jeff Burger ran. 

Tuberville. What have we got?  Let's use that.  He was headed hurry up/no huddle before anybody else he just backed the wrong horse in Tony "Schlub" Franklin.  In retrospect that was the right move, he just chose the wrong messenger.

Gus?  Let's do the same thing we did in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016...

Chiz.  I have a plan.  We will follow the plan. It involves discipline and lining up those helmets.  If we lose, we will lose in a disciplined manner.  Period. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2022, 02:03:38 PM »
The ones who end up being great can see past their own bubble, though.  I hate to use some of these, but...

Totally agree, just felt like you were letting Gus's Gus-Love off the hook.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2022, 02:29:35 PM »
Totally agree, just felt like you were letting Gus's Gus-Love off the hook.

I agree but I'd classify Gene's as more arrogance and hubris. Gene has the ability to adapt and change, and he's smart enough to..... While Gus is a more stubborn but clueless type. I do not think Gus actually has the ability or know how.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 07:27:16 AM »
False start, number six on the offense. Penalty is five yards from the previous spot, still first down. 

So not the USFL, but the UNC. 

Chizik IS back in the ring, but he's actually in a place where he might be good.  Running the defense for the Tarheels (with that maybe, possibly, could be tag of head coach in waiting?).  That's something I think the man can do.  If Harsin hired him to run AU's defense I wouldn't be distraught.  I think he's probably pretty good at doing that.  It's probably his ceiling, though. 

He'd have run the Birmingham Stallions/Steel/Vulcans/Americans/Fire into the ground. He'll do okay in his role at UNC.  Until/Unless they give him the eventual reins at which time the Heels will go heels up. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 05:18:20 PM »
False start, number six on the offense. Penalty is five yards from the previous spot, still first down. 

Chizik IS back in the ring, but he's actually in a place where he might be good.  Running the defense for the Tarheels (with that maybe, possibly, could be tag of head coach in waiting?).  That's something I think the man can do.  If Harsin hired him to run AU's defense I wouldn't be distraught.  I think he's probably pretty good at doing that.  It's probably his ceiling, though. 

He'd have run the Birmingham Stallions/Steel/Vulcans/Americans/Fire into the ground. He'll do okay in his role at UNC.  Until/Unless they give him the eventual reins at which time the Heels will go heels up.

Agree. The guy can coach. And the guy knows X's and O's but he cannot run a program - HUBRIS. To the max. If he can get past that? Who knows. Maybe.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2022, 09:32:44 AM »
Agree. The guy can coach. And the guy knows X's and O's but he cannot run a program - HUBRIS. To the max. If he can get past that? Who knows. Maybe.

True but trust me when I say, F Chapel Hill. They are the Alabama of this state and it is annoying. Dook is awful but in an elitist, easier to ignore kind of way. CHers are every damn where and twice as infuriating.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2022, 11:57:12 PM »

So he’ll be Vice President…
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2022, 08:00:39 AM »
So he’ll be Vice President…

No.  He hasn’t sucked enough black dicks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2022, 10:01:21 AM »
No.  He hasn’t sucked enough black dicks.

and randomly cackled at things that aren't actually funny.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE