Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Bowl Game Cancellations

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Bowl Game Cancellations
« on: December 27, 2021, 11:04:09 AM »
The COVIDs (or, rather, fear of the COVIDs) have cancelled three so far and there are probably half a dozen other ones on the verge of shutting it down for the year. That's gonna cost ESPN in ad $$$ as well as the schools/conferences because if no one plays, the bowl game doesn't pay out to any party.

My question is, does this alter the bowl game landscape by reducing the number of them? Or is there too much money still propping up the system for the number to decrease?

Also, there are "rules" in place around the playoffs and if one or both teams can't go. It is conceivable for a team to be awarded the national pen holder trophy and never play another team for it. (Just like several of the the Bama titles from the 40s-60s.)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Bowl Game Cancellations
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 11:36:19 AM »
It might be wise to have 5 or 6 alternates in place, in case a team cancels.  Don't recall the bowl game, but I know that Rutners (Old joke) is filling in for somebody who canceled.

On kind a side note, I'm probably in the minority when it comes to bowl games. I hear constantly that there are too many.  I say pooie.  Who cares if there are a ton of meaningless games? Nobody's forcing you to watch.  There are only 3 games that matter, and those are the playoff games.  The rest are exhibitions, but it's still college football.  I'll watch part of a meaningless bowl game over a lot of other stuff.  Hell, I watch MACtion on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights....because it's foosballz. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 11:51:37 AM »
Cancel a game because of a mild cold? 

Let’s go Brandon.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
Members reacted funny:
bgreene,
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 12:21:40 PM »
Cancel a game because of a mild cold? 

Let’s go Brandon.

Damn it, several players were coughing.  Don't be so insensitive.

My daughter got diagnosed with the Rona on Christmas Eve.  Has zero symptoms with the exception of a runny nose.  They constantly test them at work.  She and six others are out until further notice.  None of the others have any symptoms at all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 04:23:49 PM »
Nobody's forcing you to watch.  There are only 3 games that matter, and those are the playoff games. 
:facepalm:
3 games

There are FOUR teams in the playoffs. Idiot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 04:48:30 PM »
:facepalm:
3 games

There are FOUR teams in the playoffs. Idiot.

Oh yeah.  Forgot about that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 10:19:41 AM »
Oh yeah.  Forgot about that.

Yore such a Moran.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 08:42:37 AM »
Wish they would have canceled the Vulcan Bowl
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 12:33:18 PM »
It might be wise to have 5 or 6 alternates in place, in case a team cancels. Don't recall the bowl game, but I know that Rutners (Old joke) is filling in for somebody who canceled.

On kind a side note, I'm probably in the minority when it comes to bowl games. I hear constantly that there are too many.  I say pooie.  Who cares if there are a ton of meaningless games? Nobody's forcing you to watch.  There are only 3 games that matter, and those are the playoff games.  The rest are exhibitions, but it's still college football.  I'll watch part of a meaningless bowl game over a lot of other stuff.  Hell, I watch MACtion on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights....because it's foosballz.

This, or if there are two teams in a bowl game and their opponents cancel, take the bowl with the highest payout and let them play each other in that bowl since they have already been practicing.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 09:31:33 AM »
Sports talk on the way to work this morning.

Caller: Lance, I watched thet Clintsun game last night.  I thought thet Uglaglaygee kid wuz sposed to be sumpn' special. He ain't all that, is he?

Host:  Well, he's got some mechanics issues.  Maybe they need to get someone new in there to work with him.

Caller: I tell yee whut's wrong with him.  He's got mechanics issues. But he's like me.  He's runnin' but he ain't goin' nowhere.  He ain't like Bryce Young, don't he?

Host:  Uuuummm......
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 10:22:42 AM »
Sports talk on the way to work this morning.

Caller: Lance, I watched thet Clintsun game last night.  I thought thet Uglaglaygee kid wuz sposed to be sumpn' special. He ain't all that, is he?

Host:  Well, he's got some mechanics issues.  Maybe they need to get someone new in there to work with him.

Caller: I tell yee whut's wrong with him.  He's got mechanics issues. But he's like me.  He's runnin' but he ain't goin' nowhere.  He ain't like Bryce Young, don't he?

Host:  Uuuummm......

Some of that fanbase is pure borderline retarded. I really mean that. I almost have to give Finebaum kudos for exploiting them for money, like the sideshow carnival acts they are.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2021, 10:35:30 AM »
Some of that fanbase is pure borderline retarded. I really mean that. I almost have to give Finebaum kudos for exploiting them for money, like the sideshow carnival acts they are.

I wish I were exaggerating on the way the guy was talking, but my typing didn't do it justice. I know the host had to be face palming the whole time. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions