Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Case For 12

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
The Case For 12
« on: November 03, 2021, 02:59:44 PM »
The first college football playoff rankings were released last night, and the teams were placed thusly, please.

FUGA  8-0
Bama  7-1
Mich. State  8-0
Oregon  7-1
Ohio State  7-1
Cincinnati  8-0
Michigan  7-1
Oklahoma  9-0
Wake 8-0
Notre Dame  7-1

It’s a certainty that it will look nothing like this in 3-4 weeks.  tOSU has to play both Michigan State and Michigan.  Bama comes to Auburn, and if they get past us, will play Fuck Georgia in the SECCG.  A ton of football left to be played and it will all shake out.  However, lemme’ bitch about something for a minute. Not that I’ve ever griped about anything before, but this just sticks in my craw.  Whatever a craw is.

Once again, I’m reminded that with the exception of that stint where the right to play for the championship was decided by a computer program, that entitlement is based strictly on the eye test.  Whether it was the AP, UPI, Coaches Poll, or even the selection committee putting out this ranking, college football is the only sport I can think of in the entire universe, yeah, I’m talking galaxies here, where teams are ranked solely on opinion.  At least ranked with respect to the “playoffs”.  You have roughly 130 D-1 teams, and a bunch of people will get together in a room and decide which 4 get a shot at the ring.  They can give us all the BS they want about the “criteria” they use, but that’s just what it is, bullshit.  It’s all determined by who they think is better.

So, the case for Cincinnati.  No, maybe the case for a 12 team playoff.  Let me say first off, I have zero dog in the fight.  I can tell you two things about the Bearcats.  Their Head Coach is Luke Fickell, and their QB is Desmond Ridder. Well, maybe more than two.  I can tell you they’re undefeated.  I can tell you they went on the road against top 10 Notre Dame, gave them their only loss, and controlled that game from the outset.  I can tell you they were the talk of college football until a lackluster last couple of games.  Cincinnati may lose the next two games and fade into the sunset.  They may win out by an average of 30 point a game.  Either way, they ain’t sniffing of the college playoff.  Why?  Because they play in a “Group of 5” conference.  I get it. 

I recall Dan Patrick saying last season, when Cincy was making a similar incredible run, that nobody is saying they’re better than Alabama or Clemson or Ohio State.  I’m just saying, give them a chance. I agree, and a 12 team playoff does just that.  Every other sport on the planet (Okay, I’ve narrowed it back down to Earth) does just that.  From high school, to college and throughout all professional sports, if you have a good season, you get a chance.  Not college football.  I’ve heard countless people say, “Nobody wants to see Cincinnati make the playoffs and get their doors blown in by 30”.  Let me throw out a few scores.  Okay, more than a few.

59-20
37-17
38-0
24-7
31-0
30-3
63-28
31-14
49-28
42-20
44-16
42-25
52-24

Any of those look familiar?  Not random games from this past weekend.  These are all random scores of games from the college football playoffs since they started in 2014-2015.  These are the “elite” teams playing each other.  All shitty, dog ass, mismatch games.  Let me give you another score.  24-21.  That would be the final of the Cincinnati/FUGA Sugar Bowl last season, that was won on a last second field goal.  Oh, but it was a meaningless Bowl game.  FUGA wasn’t even trying.  Maybe they should have been.  I know one thing they were doing….fighting for their lives.

Again, I’m not saying Cincinnati is the shizznit.  They may lose out.  Just saying that right now, they’re another prime example of why, until we really expand the playoffs, we’ll never get stories like Coastal Carolina winning the College World Series.  Auburn or Butler or George Mason making the Final 4.  Villanova or NC State pulling off miracle upsets.  That’s what happens when you leave it up to a select few getting a chance to select a few based solely on their opinions.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: The Case For 12
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 03:22:04 PM »
Nobody cares about my opinion, but I think it should be the top 10 in a playoff.  This way the #s 1 and 2 teams get a first round bye as a reward for finishing there...and #s 3 and 4 would get a week off after the first round (assuming they win)

First round: (played at pre-NYD bowl sites)  Played in mid to late December
3 vs 10
6 vs 7
5 vs 8
4 vs 9

Second round: (played at NY6 bowl sites)  New Years Eve?
winner of 6v7 game vs 2
winner of 5v8 game vs 1

Third round (Semi-finals): (played at NY6/Playoff bowl sites)  First Saturday in January
winner of 3v10 vs winner of 6/7v2
winner of 4v9  vs winner of 5/8v1

Championship Game (Played at Playoff bowl site of choosing) Second Saturday in January
winners of Semi-final games
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 03:24:51 PM by Buzz Killington »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 03:59:16 PM »
Nobody cares about my opinion, but I think it should be the top 10 in a playoff.  This way the #s 1 and 2 teams get a first round bye as a reward for finishing there...and #s 3 and 4 would get a week off after the first round (assuming they win)

First round: (played at pre-NYD bowl sites)  Played in mid to late December
3 vs 10
6 vs 7
5 vs 8
4 vs 9

Second round: (played at NY6 bowl sites)  New Years Eve?
winner of 6v7 game vs 2
winner of 5v8 game vs 1

Third round (Semi-finals): (played at NY6/Playoff bowl sites)  First Saturday in January
winner of 3v10 vs winner of 6/7v2
winner of 4v9  vs winner of 5/8v1

Championship Game (Played at Playoff bowl site of choosing) Second Saturday in January
winners of Semi-final games

You act like we care about your opinion.  Wait....you just said that.  I said 12 only because that is what has been proposed in recent months....by somebody important.  I forget who.  But any plan like yours is workable, and a helluvalot more fairerest. So, in your scenario, Michigan State would open with Notre Dame.  Cincinnati and Michigan would go at it. Ohio State and Oklahoma butt heads while Oregon and Wake finish off the first round.

Personally, I'm all over that shipth.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 04:20:08 PM »
I hate the Committee format.

They throw this shit out and get media churn each week, but they're not beholden to logic or reason and can re-shuffle the deck week-to-week to drive whatever narrative they want.

I'm on the Paul Anka/Lisa Simpson plan.  Just don't look.

At least not until the first week of December.
friendly
funny
dislike
Members reacted friendly:
The Six,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 09:29:44 AM »
I say use the old BCS format to get the top whatever teams...8, 10, 12, 16...whatever the number is.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
CCTAU,
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 09:35:24 AM »
I say use the old BCS format to get the top whatever teams...8, 10, 12, 16...whatever the number is.

Why don't we just get in the running car?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 09:39:28 AM »
Why don't we just get in the running car?

Are you crazy? Let's hide behind those chainsaws.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 10:04:42 AM »
Are you crazy? Let's hide behind those chainsaws.
Head for the cemetery!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 12:26:04 PM »
I hate the Committee format.

They throw this shit out and get media churn each week, but they're not beholden to logic or reason and can re-shuffle the deck week-to-week to drive whatever narrative they want.

I'm on the Paul Anka/Lisa Simpson plan.  Just don't look.

At least not until the first week of December.

Your best post ever, imho.

This is a television show and is booked as such. Not all that dissimilar from years of WWE booking where John Cena (whom I do like as a performer) would somehow always be in the Wrestlemania main event. Why? Because it put butts in seats and eyes on the screen. Same with this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2021, 09:31:06 AM »
Your best post ever, imho.
Obviously, you have never seen any of his dick pic posts. Very cute.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com