Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Brown Sugar

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Brown Sugar
« on: October 13, 2021, 04:40:38 PM »
I see this article saying the Stones are taking Brown Sugar out of their line up because of the controversial lyrics.  This song has been out since about 1970 and like most people, I've heard it 1,574,992 times.  Other than assuming it was about hooking up with a black chick, I never paid attention to the lyrics, mainly because I can't understand half of what he's singing.  As a matter of fact, looking at the lyrics now, I see I've been singing one of the lines completely wrong.  Holy shit, how did it make it this long? 

Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields
Sold in a market down in New Orleans
Scarred old slaver knows he's doing alright
Hear him whip the women just around midnight

Brown sugar how come you taste so good?
Brown sugar just like a young girl should

Drums beating, cold English blood runs hot
Lady of the house wonderin' where it's gonna stop
House boy knows that he's doing alright
You shoulda heard him just around midnight

Brown sugar how come you taste so good, now?
Brown sugar just like a young girl should, now

Ah, get along, brown sugar how come you taste so good, baby?
Ah, got me feelin' now, brown sugar just like a black girl should

I bet your mama was a tent show queen
And all her boyfriends were sweet sixteen
I'm no schoolboy but I know what I like
You shoulda heard me just around midnight

Brown sugar how come you taste so good, baby?
Ah, brown sugar just like a young girl should, yeah

I said yeah, yeah, yeah, woo
How come you... how come you taste so good?
Yeah, yeah, yeah, woo
Just like a... just like a black girl should
Yeah, yeah, yeah, woo
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Brown Sugar
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 06:18:53 AM »
Show me on the doll where the song touched you
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Snaggletiger,
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 08:48:31 AM »
Guessing they were under immense pressure to do so by outside forces. If I’m mick and Keith though? I’m damn near 80. I’m the engine of the worlds most known rock n roll band for the last 50-60 years. I call the shots. But I get it. It’s not that simple. It’s bullshit but it’s also the norm now it seems.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 09:22:43 AM »
Guessing they were under immense pressure to do so by outside forces. If I’m mick and Keith though? I’m damn near 80. I’m the engine of the worlds most known rock n roll band for the last 50-60 years. I call the shots. But I get it. It’s not that simple. It’s bullshit but it’s also the norm now it seems.

I'm guessing most people were like me, in that they just assumed the song was about being into a hot black chick.  At least that's what I thought it was about.  I never could understand half of what he was singing, but honestly didn't care enough to look it up.  Just a good tune with a great hook. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 09:36:39 AM »
I'm guessing most people were like me, in that they just assumed the song was about being into a hot black chick.  At least that's what I thought it was about.  I never could understand half of what he was singing, but honestly didn't care enough to look it up.  Just a good tune with a great hook.
If you don't understand what they are singing, you should have heard it just around midnight.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Snaggletiger,
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.