Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

DIY

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
DIY
« on: September 29, 2021, 02:33:45 PM »
After the Ford F-150 turned 100K miles, little problems started popping up.  Nothing major, just annoying, semi-expensive crap that has to be taken care of.  Recently, it was the windshield wipers.  Stuck in the lowest interval position and can't be turned off.  I know exactly squat about how to fix it so I called some places and was told to leave it a couple of days, or it would be a minimum $100 for the "diagnostics" to determine the problem.  So, I typed it in the Googled Chromes. Voila!  5 minute video on how to replace one.  Went to the auto parts store and ordered one for $50.00. 

Yesterday after work, I was headed outside and Snagette asked me where I was going.

I'm going out to replace my windshield wipers timer.

By yourself?

Yeah, why? (In my best sarcastic voice)

Do you know how?

Yeah (Same voice as above)

There's about an 8 second silence before I say, "Yeah, this is isn't going to end well, is it?"

In her best sympathetic voice...."No honey, it's not."

She knows me.  I will tackle a project, assemble something, take something apart.  And 9 times out of 10, I will F it up and start speaking in tongues.  I will swear that the manufacturer didn't include a part I need, or the two rails came bent and won't fit together.  It's not my fault.  But 9 times out of 10, yes it is. 

I'm getting better, though.  It all started when we couldn't get anybody out to replace a dryer belt.  The dryer was located in the same room as our computer, so I Youtube'd a step by step video, and spent an afternoon attacking that undertaking.  Did you know there are only 2,745 steps in replacing a dryer belt?  But I did it.  And when I hit that on button and it started humming along, I realized the three parts I had left over weren't needed.  And I suddenly felt like a MAN!!!  I take on a lot more things these days, especially with the help of the Googles.

Snagette's dad is 83.  That man will turn anything into a DIY project to save a buck.  Went over to his house one day and he had an A-frame ladder in the bed of his truck and he was balancing on the top step, cutting limbs out of a tree.  Just to save a buck.  He's the DIY king.

My fear of the inevitable failure used to find me just dropping something off and saying call me when it's ready.  Now, I actually look forward to taking on a new project.  Except electricity.  I've got that number on speed dial. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

chinook

Re: DIY
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 02:36:12 PM »
all i read was my FIL still has a full nutsack.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
Members reacted funny:
bgreene,chinook,
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 02:41:23 PM »
all i read was my FIL still has a full nutsack.

He's a baller.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 02:45:31 PM »
Did you know there are only 2,745 steps in replacing a dryer belt? 
Yes.  Yes I do.  I know because I counted them all the 3 times I did it to replace mine. 
First time, I forgot to re-attach the sensor plug.
Second time, it was the light bulb,
Third time it was perfecto!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Snaggletiger,
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 04:24:35 PM »
I learned a long time ago to let other folks (who are trained) to fix my stuff. I'd try, fuck up even worse and then have them fix the original problem and then have to fix what I fucked up. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 04:29:15 PM »
Do you still avoid driving in the rain?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 04:29:47 PM »
Local plumbing company sums it up pretty well...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 05:58:37 PM »
I've adopted the following as the motto in my house.  I'm tired of doing everygoddamned thing:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 08:23:29 PM »
Let's go back to the Ford thing. 

There was this horrible grinding noise that occasionally came from the front of my F-150.  Take it to the shop, show them the video I took of it making the noise.  They'd keep it for a week or two.  "Out" of loaners.  I either had to borrow somebody's car or rent one.

Every time they'd give it back to me "we drove it, but didn't ever hear the noise.  We can't fix it if we don't hear it ourselves." 

I did this maybe three or four times over two years.  Without fail, it would do it within a mile of leaving the shop. Every time. 

So I did the research too.  Most likely cause was a check valve for the IWE (whatever the hell that is).  Turns out there's a technical bulletin from Ford dealing with it.  It's an $8 part.

The dealership where I bought the truck?  "Well, we have to hear it to verify it and we don't.  So we can't just put parts on." 

I tell them fuck it, I'll do it myself.  They tell me if I do, it could void my warranty.  At this point I'm like 1500 miles from crossing that rubicon.  So I leave it there for two weeks.  They promise to drive it every day, let one of the mechanics drive it home. Make sure they get it. 

Two weeks?  "Well, it just didn't never do it."

The motherfuckers drove it less than two miles.  I confronted them with that. "you musta wrote that mileage down wrong, because we drove it ever day." 

Fuck it.  There's a YouTube video.  I ordered the part, followed the video and in less than five minutes, had the check valve swapped out.  No reoccurrence of the noise.  That was over a year ago. 

I've always been a Ford guy.  I'm not sure I will be when I start looking.  I don't like anything they're doing lately.  And I will NEVER buy another vehicle from this dealership. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 08:28:16 PM »
Let's go back to the Ford thing. 

There was this horrible grinding noise that occasionally came from the front of my F-150.  Take it to the shop, show them the video I took of it making the noise.  They'd keep it for a week or two.  "Out" of loaners.  I either had to borrow somebody's car or rent one.

Every time they'd give it back to me "we drove it, but didn't ever hear the noise.  We can't fix it if we don't hear it ourselves." 

I did this maybe three or four times over two years.  Without fail, it would do it within a mile of leaving the shop. Every time. 

So I did the research too.  Most likely cause was a check valve for the IWE (whatever the hell that is).  Turns out there's a technical bulletin from Ford dealing with it.  It's an $8 part.

The dealership where I bought the truck?  "Well, we have to hear it to verify it and we don't.  So we can't just put parts on." 

I tell them fuck it, I'll do it myself.  They tell me if I do, it could void my warranty.  At this point I'm like 1500 miles from crossing that rubicon.  So I leave it there for two weeks.  They promise to drive it every day, let one of the mechanics drive it home. Make sure they get it. 

Two weeks?  "Well, it just didn't never do it."

The motherfuckers drove it less than two miles.  I confronted them with that. "you musta wrote that mileage down wrong, because we drove it ever day." 

Fuck it.  There's a YouTube video.  I ordered the part, followed the video and in less than five minutes, had the check valve swapped out.  No reoccurrence of the noise.  That was over a year ago. 

I've always been a Ford guy.  I'm not sure I will be when I start looking.  I don't like anything they're doing lately.  And I will NEVER buy another vehicle from this dealership.

They’re all going to the new fancy smancy boosted small
Motors now. Ford’s is the ecoboost. They’re great until they screw up. Yours was a minor annoyance. I’ve known a few guys with that motor have the turbo go out at about 150k miles. 9-10k.

I’d rather keep my v8 and pay for the extra fuel over time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 07:29:34 AM »
They’re all going to the new fancy smancy boosted small
Motors now. Ford’s is the ecoboost. They’re great until they screw up. Yours was a minor annoyance. I’ve known a few guys with that motor have the turbo go out at about 150k miles. 9-10k.

I’d rather keep my v8 and pay for the extra fuel over time.

I’m only at about 65,000.  I will be trading it before it gets to 120. 

I love the truck.  It’s beautiful. 

But I’m starting to have weird things.  Like the sunroof won’t go back because of some fuckery in the panel.  And my phone chargers don’t work.  Same fuckery. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.