Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Rasslin'....

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Rasslin'....
« on: September 23, 2021, 01:40:00 PM »
As we all know Snags' boy (lil Snags) is the current US Heavyweight Champion of the....ummm....uhhh, WWA, I think its called. Dude was tearing up that Samson, AL VFW. But anyway, there seems to have been a recent rasslin' renaissance that VICE started a few years ago with their Dark Side of the Ring series. Its especially endearing to those 40 and over who grew up on Rasslin' in the glory days of the 80s and even into the 90s.

If you haven't seen these, lets just say the real stories that went on with these guys in the 70's, 80's and 90's was more often better than the in ring stories and persona that the creative bookies drew up. NO, I don't mean Hogan showing his peen to Bubba the Love Sponges old lady on camera. The heart break, the drugs, the divorces, the arrests, the death, you name it.  They cover it all in Dark Side. They just fired back up last week with the newest installment entitled "Plane Ride from Hell" about a 2002 WWE transatlantic flight to the UK and back with 2-3 dozen or so rashers raising hell and getting hammered - for a short tour of the UK and Europe. Tales of Ric Flair whipping out his dong and twirling it like a helicopter up and down the aisle made me like the guy even more.

A&E also has a more light hearted series just entitled "Biography". They covered 8 of them this year, a few were better than others. But they covered Stone Cold Steve Austin, "Macho Man" Randy Savage, "Rowdy" Roddy Piperâ„¢, Booker T, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Mick Foley and Ultimate Warrior. None were bad, and I hope they do a second season of these next year.

One thing you take away from these (maybe 2 things) is that: 1. Rasslin life then was as rough as it got being on the road. The pressure these guys were under. From bookies. From Vince McMahon. All of it. Many didn't make it to 40. Many developed CTE. And substance abuse issues. Most of these stories just don't end well.  2. Vince McMahon is one slimeball son of a bitch. Thats a pretty universal theme.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Rasslin'....
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 02:33:24 PM »
Several years ago, we had a group of us that met for breakfast several mornings a week. One of them knew a guy named Charlie Platt, who is somewhat of a local legend, as much as one can be a legend in the farming communities of the Wiregrass.  Charlie had a long running early morning show, with guests and farm reports, but his other claim to fame was calling Southeast Championship Wrestling for years.

Charlie came to breakfast one morning and told some of the most outrageous stories, that had a life long rasslin' fan like me in stitches.  What reminded me of that was GH talking about the documentary that had Flair whipping it out on the plane.  Platt said what you saw of Flair's wrestling persona on TV, was his real life persona, which Flair admitted in that ESPN documentary.  He said if Flair went out, which was about every night, that schlong was coming out too.  He'd whip it out on a moment's notice. 

He also said that when Andre was anywhere near, he'd call Charlie up to go out drinking with him.  He said Andre didn't want to be bothered, didn't want to sign autographs or speak to fans.  He wasn't rude.  He just wanted to drink beer.  Lots and lots of beer.  Literally dozens of beers at one sitting. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 03:31:24 PM »
Several years ago, we had a group of us that met for breakfast several mornings a week. One of them knew a guy named Charlie Platt, who is somewhat of a local legend, as much as one can be a legend in the farming communities of the Wiregrass.  Charlie had a long running early morning show, with guests and farm reports, but his other claim to fame was calling Southeast Championship Wrestling for years.

Charlie came to breakfast one morning and told some of the most outrageous stories, that had a life long rasslin' fan like me in stitches.  What reminded me of that was GH talking about the documentary that had Flair whipping it out on the plane.  Platt said what you saw of Flair's wrestling persona on TV, was his real life persona, which Flair admitted in that ESPN documentary.  He said if Flair went out, which was about every night, that schlong was coming out too.  He'd whip it out on a moment's notice. 

He also said that when Andre was anywhere near, he'd call Charlie up to go out drinking with him.  He said Andre didn't want to be bothered, didn't want to sign autographs or speak to fans.  He wasn't rude.  He just wanted to drink beer.  Lots and lots of beer.  Literally dozens of beers at one sitting.

The Andre stories Ive heard are very similar to the one liners about Chuck Norris and Bill Brasky.....except they actually happened.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 03:38:17 PM »
The Andre stories Ive heard are very similar to the one liners about Chuck Norris and Bill Brasky.....except they actually happened.

Charlie did say that one night in a bar, this one guy wouldn't leave Andre alone.  Just kept badgering him, so finally Andre stood up, grabbed him and flung him airborne across the room.  Calmly sat back down and went back to his beer(z).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 08:13:21 PM »
Did I see something about Triple H having a heart attack? 

I hated him for a long time, but grew to appreciate his role. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 07:51:51 AM »
Did I see something about Triple H having a heart attack? 

I hated him for a long time, but grew to appreciate his role.

Yup. He had some sort of procedure for it last week.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE