Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Welcome Back, Kotter

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Welcome Back, Kotter
« on: August 16, 2021, 10:56:11 AM »
I realized this morning that toe meets leather for the first time this season for our Auburn Tigers in about 19 days.  I did a quick forum(s) scan for breaking news and hot topics...which whet my appetite just enough to need to peek at the rag of a "paper" known as al.com.

As I caught up on the post-scrimmage reports and position evaluations, I started to get a little excited. There is a new coaching staff, some new faces at glamour positions; it's a motherfucking fresh start.  I wanted to read more.  I used to burn hours of my week reading multiple sports "news" sites to stay abreast of all the latest news.  So I pointed my mouse to the address bar and...nothing.  I got bupkus.  I don't recall any of the names of those sites to which I gave so many of my clicks.  I hadn't realized how detached from this game I've been.  I watched casually last year, anomalous as it was, but I've been pretty unplugged since about the middle of the 2018 season.  The depressing flop that was the inevitable result of running Kerryon into the dirt to end the 2017 season.

That period began a significant drop in my "giveadamn" about this sport.  I lost the spirit for a 10-page argument over play-calling or -execution.  Thankfully, Bruce Pearl gave me something to love and cheer on.  I don't understand basketball as innately as football, though.  I am coming to the game pretty late in life when you compare it to how I spent my formative years glued to the television watching Bo do Bo things.  I love the excitement that Bruce is delivering, but it's not the deeply satisfying catharsis that football somehow provides.

So, I was blanking out on my football news-junkie routine when it hit me: there's a tropical storm headed directly for my house, we're seeing our deeply flawed foreign policy fail again on the world stage, there is bitter division in our country over something as simple as how to protect each other from catching a dangerous disease...and I was able to forget about every bit of that shit for half an hour or so while I ruminated on a game that I've abandoned after giving so much of my time, money and emotion to it.  Politicize the sidelines, run PAC ads at every break, sit, kneel, stand on your head...but between the sidelines, with the clock running, none of that shit exists.  Thank your preferred deity that football is back.  I need a fucking break from reality.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 11:32:09 AM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Welcome Back, Kotter
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 11:10:09 AM »
I realized this morning that toe meets leather for the first time this season for our Auburn Tigers in about 19 days.  I did a quick forum(s) scan for breaking news and hot topics...which whet my appetite just enough to need to peak at the rag of a "paper" known as al.com.

As I caught up on the post-scrimmage reports and position evaluations, I started to get a little excited. There is a new coaching staff, some new faces at glamour positions; it's a motherfudgeing fresh start.  I wanted to read more.  I used to burn hours of my week reading multiple sports "news" sites to stay abreast of all the latest news.  So I pointed my mouse to the address bar and...nothing.  I got bupkus.  I don't recall any of the names of those sites to which I gave so many of my clicks.  I hadn't realized how detached from this game I've been.  I watched casually last year, anomalous as it was, but I've been pretty unplugged since about the middle of the 2018 season.  The depressing flop that was the inevitable result of running Kerryon into the dirt to end the 2017 season.

That period began a significant drop in my "giveadamn" about this sport.  I lost the spirit for a 10-page argument over play-calling or -execution.  Thankfully, Bruce Pearl gave me something to love and cheer on.  I don't understand basketball as innately as football, though.  I am coming to the game pretty late in life when you compare it to how I spent my formative years glued to the television watching Bo do Bo things.  I love the excitement that Bruce is delivering, but it's not the deeply satisfying catharsis that football somehow provides.

So, I was blanking out on my football news-junkie routine when it hit me: there's a tropical storm headed directly for my house, we're seeing our deeply flawed foreign policy fail again on the world stage, there is bitter division in our country over something as simple as how to protect each other from catching a dangerous disease...and I was able to forget about every bit of that shoot for half an hour or so while I ruminated on a game that I've abandoned after giving so much of my time, money and emotion to it.  Politicize the sidelines, run PAC ads at every break, sit, kneel, stand on your head...but between the sidelines, with the clock running, none of that shoot exists.  Thank your preferred deity that football is back.  I need a fudgeing break from reality.
Hear, Hear!  Or is it Here, Here!

Either way, spot on.  I just hope that Coarch Hart to Hart can bring back some of the toughness that has been lacking in Auburn football and my fucks given meter starts to move again soon.  War Fucking Eagle!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 11:17:30 AM »
Fuck Georgia
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 11:35:40 AM »
fudge Georgia
Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber, you go and do something like this...and totally redeem yourself!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 11:48:32 AM »
Admittedly, by the end of last season, I was trying to decide whether to watch the game or sort through some old clothes in my closet to go to Goodwill. Malzahn had stepped all over my enthusiasm as it had become soooo painfully clear that we were a 4-6 loss program every single year. And the yugely big question loomed, "Is that buyout too F'n big to make a change?"

Harvinz has definitely rekindled the old spirit, but I find myself very cautious in my optimism.  The preseason rags and talking heads are giving next to zero love for this bunch, and this past Friday, Yahoo Sports had us #1 in the list of 5 teams they think are ready to take a step backwards.  I am in depress.

But I get it.  If you're on the outside looking in, you see an average to suck O-line coming back.  You see a band of pass catchers starting from scratch.  You see an underperforming and wildly inconsistent QB under center.  On D, New-True and Mud Katt have all left the building.  Why would anyone pick us to contend?

If I look at it without the orange and blues on, I have the exact same concerns.  I love everything I've heard and read about Harbinz, his attitude and expectations.  I love the change in the strength and conditioning program.  I love the fact that we're going to see something different on the field and not the same, stubborn concepts that every SEC coordinator figured out years ago.  But all that I said above is still a concern in my mind.  Is this going to be 2013 (No, I'm not expecting a Natty) where it just took a different approach and a few new pieces? Or did Gus leave us with a bigger mess than we realized and we are still two or three years away? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 11:54:51 AM »
I just want to watch my team compete at a competent level and not see a monkey humping a football…
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

wesfau2

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 11:59:05 AM »
Admittedly, by the end of last season, I was trying to decide whether to watch the game or sort through some old clothes in my closet to go to Goodwill. Malzahn had stepped all over my enthusiasm as it had become soooo painfully clear that we were a 4-6 loss program every single year. And the yugely big question loomed, "Is that buyout too F'n big to make a change?"

Harvinz has definitely rekindled the old spirit, but I find myself very cautious in my optimism.  The preseason rags and talking heads are giving next to zero love for this bunch, and this past Friday, Yahoo Sports had us #1 in the list of 5 teams they think are ready to take a step backwards.  I am in depress.

But I get it.  If you're on the outside looking in, you see an average to suck O-line coming back.  You see a band of pass catchers starting from scratch.  You see an underperforming and wildly inconsistent QB under center.  On D, New-True and Mud Katt have all left the building.  Why would anyone pick us to contend?

If I look at it without the orange and blues on, I have the exact same concerns.  I love everything I've heard and read about Harbinz, his attitude and expectations.  I love the change in the strength and conditioning program.  I love the fact that we're going to see something different on the field and not the same, stubborn concepts that every SEC coordinator figured out years ago.  But all that I said above is still a concern in my mind.  Is this going to be 2013 (No, I'm not expecting a Natty) where it just took a different approach and a few new pieces? Or did Gus leave us with a bigger mess than we realized and we are still two or three years away?
There is a load of talent on this team.  It just hadn't gotten any coaching/development to speak of (at least on the offensive side of the ball.)

Our defensive back 7 will be the envy of the nation this year.  Pappoe/McClain combined for 216 tackles last year.  Every scout has McCreary pencilled in as an early draft pick.  Smoke Monday and the portal guys round out a robust squad. 

The DLine needs some work, especially after losing a gap filler like Truesdell, but by all practice/scrimmage accounts they are deep, fast and nasty.

We know the RBs are solid, though depth might be problematic.

If the OLine can hold (pun intended) a block and Bo can improve his mechanics (which he has if the reports are to be believed), we're a 9 win team minimum.

Those last two are big "ifs", but like the great sage, George Michael, once said: you gotta have faith.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 12:02:53 PM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 11:59:47 AM »
I just want to watch my team compete at a competent level and not see a monkey humping a football…
I fully expect that to be the case.  Thus, my cautious optimism blooming into some full-throated, homer prognostication.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 02:16:14 PM »
There is a load of talent on this team.  It just hadn't gotten any coaching/development to speak of (at least on the offensive side of the ball.)

Our defensive back 7 will be the envy of the nation this year.  Pappoe/McClain combined for 216 tackles last year.  Every scout has McCreary pencilled in as an early draft pick.  Smoke Monday and the portal guys round out a robust squad. 

The DLine needs some work, especially after losing a gap filler like Truesdell, but by all practice/scrimmage accounts they are deep, fast and nasty.

We know the RBs are solid, though depth might be problematic.

If the OLine can hold (pun intended) a block and Bo can improve his mechanics (which he has if the reports are to be believed), we're a 9 win team minimum.

Those last two are big "ifs", but like the great sage, George Michael, once said: you gotta have faith.
It's like this and like that.

What I'm not getting is the love LSU is getting.  I'm fumbuzzled on that one.  They were freakin' horrible last year.  They were 5-5 and gave up 43 or more on five different occasions, including 48 to us. Think about that for a second.  Gus scored 48 on an SEC foe.  Their projected starter at QB is out for the season.  One of their back up QB's is at Auburn.  They hired a DC who has never been a DC, and Ed O is the head coach.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2021, 02:50:23 PM »
What I'm not getting is the love LSU is getting.  I'm fumbuzzled on that one.  They were freakin' horrible last year.  They were 5-5 and gave up 43 or more on five different occasions, including 48 to us. Think about that for a second.  Gus scored 48 on an SEC foe.  Their projected starter at QB is out for the season.  One of their back up QB's is at Auburn.  They hired a DC who has never been a DC, and Ed O is the head coach. 

Totally agree.  It's confounding.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2021, 02:54:46 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2021, 04:26:54 PM »
Wes, As our friend Mr Chesney said once at a concert at Gillete....thats what music and sports are supposed to do. Bring people together like nothing else and get away from that reality. When that reality creeps into both, is when people get a little angry - and rightfully so, regardless of "reality" affiliation of those watching. I just hope I have that feeling on campus in less than 3 weeks for a solid 4-6 hours. 

Speaking of.....ain't we gonna do some sort of roll call soon? You know Joe gonna be up in that bitch cooking something fierce. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2021, 04:28:32 PM »

If I look at it without the orange and blues on, I have the exact same concerns.  I love everything I've heard and read about Harbinz, his attitude and expectations.  I love the change in the strength and conditioning program.  I love the fact that we're going to see something different on the field and not the same, stubborn concepts that every SEC coordinator figured out years ago.  But all that I said above is still a concern in my mind.  Is this going to be 2013 (No, I'm not expecting a Natty) where it just took a different approach and a few new pieces? Or did Gus leave us with a bigger mess than we realized and we are still two or three years away?

Acts like he donates to Goodwill.......really shops at the Goodwill.

Just who do you think you're kidding?

All serrrrrussness tho....It was thought that the buyout WAS too big up until the very end almost. If you believe the Bunker insiders and guys like Bryan Matthews/Jay G Tate/Jake Crain (which I mostly do just due to track records) - what made the buyout doable in the eyes of those paying for it - was the "5-5 being a good season" comment. That made the amount not seem as bad. It was the tipping point. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 04:31:19 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2021, 04:34:36 PM »
some full-throated, homo action

^^ Aroused Snags
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2021, 05:08:46 PM »
Acts like he donates to Goodwill.......really shops at the Goodwill.

Just who do you think you're kidding?

All serrrrrussness tho....It was thought that the buyout WAS too big up until the very end almost. If you believe the Bunker insiders and guys like Bryan Matthews/Jay G Tate/Jake Crain (which I mostly do just due to track records) - what made the buyout doable in the eyes of those paying for it - was the "5-5 being a good season" comment. That made the amount not seem as bad. It was the tipping point.
That was probably what was most depressing to me, the thought that we were most likely set to endure another season, or two, of Gus' mediocrity.  Back when they gave him that extension, I was on record numerous times saying Noooooo.....just write the man a big bonus check for doing some good things in 2017, namely, beating two #1's and our most hated rivals.  But, Auburn always gonna' Auburn.

Hopefully, Harkins and Pearl will be the or Dude Love's for years to come.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2021, 07:56:56 AM »
That was probably what was most depressing to me, the thought that we were most likely set to endure another season, or two, of Gus' mediocrity.  Back when they gave him that extension, I was on record numerous times saying Noooooo.....just write the man a big bonus check for doing some good things in 2017, namely, beating two #1's and our most hated rivals.  But, Auburn always gonna' Auburn.

Hopefully, Harkins and Pearl will be the or Dude Love's for years to come.
Think about it. We’ve gone through summer practice. And heading into the season now. And we don’t have to hear those same 3-4 damn stupid, useless quotes for the first time in 8 years. It’s glorious. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2021, 09:50:07 AM »
Think about it. We’ve gone through summer practice. And heading into the season now. And we don’t have to hear those same 3-4 damn stupid, useless quotes for the first time in 8 years. It’s glorious.
Spot on.  I think the future is bright.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2021, 10:35:21 AM »
Spot on.  I think the future is bright.
We're young
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2021, 10:37:25 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2021, 10:50:30 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions