Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Best of All Time

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
The Best of All Time
« on: August 11, 2021, 11:37:02 AM »
Something in the baseball thread got me thinking.  What are the best sports moments of your lifetime?  My Top Ten (subject to change if I can remember more). 

10. Miracle on Ice.  I don't care about hockey. At all. But I love America, by God. I remember church letting out early so everybody could get home to watch this. It still gives me patriotic chills. 

9. Cam takes over the world.  I was on the field for this and I watched up close and in person as Cam elevated himself to a level above everyone else on the field.  He was a man among children.  I took a photo of him, defiant at the end of the run past Peterson that is one of the best I've ever taken. Framed on my wall right now. 

8. The Camback.  Saved the 2010 season and the national championship.

7. Slack to Wasden to beat Florida 10-7 in 1989  Emmitt Smith cried.  I lost my shit, slid down the hall of my apartment and crashed through the wall into my closet.

6. Red Sox beat the Yankees in 2004.  Down 3-0, came back to win and win the series.  I loved the Sox then.  Manny, Ortiz, Pedro, Schilling, Varitek, Pokey, Damon.. 

5. Kick Six and Georgia Miracle (back to back weeks, kind of merged together for me)

4. January in the Desert.  National championship.  Cam.  I cried a little. 

3.  Sid Bream lumbers to the plate to beat the Pirates

2. Punt Bama Punt, 1972. I won't ever forget where I was and what I was doing.

1. Bo Over the Top - It was more than just winning a game. It was the emancipation of a nation. It changed everything, forever.

Honorable mentions: Auburn-LSU 2006, Auburn-LSU 1994, Auburn-Georgia 1983, Tillman Reverse 1986 (that one got me into a bar brawl in south alabama and was as much fun as I've ever had getting my face busted).

On the topic of worst pain:
1. Braves lose World Series to Twins (wasn't sure I was going to recover from that, stayed in bed two days)
2. Auburn loses in Final Four to Virginia.

Those two hurt more than anything I can remember.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 11:40:40 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: The Best of All Time
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 11:59:26 AM »
Great choices.  I don't know if I can rank 10 greatest of all time for me.  What's crazy is that the Natty against Oregon is definitely up there, but probably because of the fact that I didn't go, it wouldn't be in my top 5 or 6.  We had friends and family over.  Cooked out and drank refreshing adult beverages.  When it was over, we high fived, hugged and did stupid drunk dances.  They left, we cleaned up and I went to bed because I had to be at work the next morning.  

The Prayer in Jordan Hare (Fuck Georgia) and Kick 6 are solid top 5.  The magical way those two were decided and seeing the field covered in orange and blue clad fans were moments that caused a lot of pollen and dust to get stirred up.  That stuff gets in your eyes and makes them water.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 12:08:53 PM »
One other from that same 2013 season.  We went down to the beach the weekend of the Texas A&M game.  Unbelievable back and forth game that ended with a Dee Ford sack of Johnny Foosballz.  The game ended just in time for us to load up some chairs and beverages and go down to the beach for a killer sunset. That's one of those life can be pretty damn good moments.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 12:14:57 PM »
Great choices.  I don't know if I can rank 10 greatest of all time for me.  What's crazy is that the Natty against Oregon is definitely up there, but probably because of the fact that I didn't go, it wouldn't be in my top 5 or 6.  We had friends and family over.  Cooked out and drank refreshing adult beverages.  When it was over, we high fived, hugged and did stupid drunk dances.  They left, we cleaned up and I went to bed because I had to be at work the next morning. 

The Prayer in Jordan Hare (Fuck Georgia) and Kick 6 are solid top 5.  The magical way those two were decided and seeing the field covered in orange and blue clad fans were moments that caused a lot of pollen and dust to get stirred up.  That stuff gets in your eyes and makes them water. 
I was there in the desert.  Surrounded by Oregon people.  It was kind of surreal actually.  I didn't cheer much.  But at the end when I realized it was over and was going to BE over forever?  I broke.  All of those broke me a little, but that was like years of bottled up pain and rage being washed away. 

Why isn't it first?  Why is it behind Bream?  I guess because the actual game itself was pretty anti-climactic.  At no point during that game did I ever think Auburn was in jeopardy of losing. We were so much bigger and stronger (and faster) than they were that it didn't look like we were really trying half the time.  Just going through the motions to get it over with.  Never once crossed my mind that we weren't going to win once I saw the two teams line up from the jump.  I truly think we could have beaten them like we did SC (like 55-17) with a little more than the half ass effort I felt like we were giving. 

What's a little odd is that Cam provided 1/3 of the list for me.  I guess that's why I will always forgive his outlandish costumes, his antics, his cigars, his vegan lifestyle and whatever other craziness he comes up with.  That one guy is responsible for a significant portion of the greatest sports memories (that are not of my own making) that I have.  
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 12:18:28 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 12:21:34 PM »
I was there in the desert.  Surrounded by Oregon people.  It was kind of surreal actually.  I didn't cheer much.  But at the end when I realized it was over and was going to BE over forever?  I broke.  All of those broke me a little, but that was like years of bottled up pain and rage being washed away. 

Why isn't it first?  Why is it behind Bream?  I guess because the actual game itself was pretty anti-climactic.  At no point during that game did I ever think Auburn was in jeopardy of losing. We were so much bigger and stronger (and faster) than they were that it didn't look like we were really trying half the time.  Just going through the motions to get it over with.  Never once crossed my mind that we weren't going to win once I saw the two teams line up from the jump.  I truly think we could have beaten them like we did SC (like 55-17) with a little more than the half ass effort I felt like we were giving. 
Oh crap, I forgot about the SECCG.  Now that was a great weekend.  A big part of it was how (Pun intended) cocky the Sakerlina fans were. My gawd, they mouthed off worse than any Bama fans I've been around.  Not FUGA fans though.  They never shut up about Cam getting paid.  It was hilarious to see one half of a stadium completely empty with 5 minutes to go, except for a band.  They had to stay.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 02:06:14 PM »
Whole '93 season was magical, honestly, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.  My sophomore year, no expectations, and by the end, we all had t-shirts that said, "We don't have an AttitUde.  We're just 11-0 and you aren't."

'94 UF game is my favorite, non-Bama, Auburn win.  '94 LSU is at #2.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 02:13:59 PM »
Whole '93 season was magical, honestly, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.  My sophomore year, no expectations, and by the end, we all had t-shirts that said, "We don't have an AttitUde.  We're just 11-0 and you aren't."

'94 UF game is my favorite, non-Bama, Auburn win.  '94 LSU is at #2.
I get that. Being there was one thing.  Not being there was a different experience.  None of those games stick with me. 

Nix to Sanders does, though.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2021, 02:25:23 PM »
The 37-14 win over Western Kentucky in 2005 was magical because I got a hand job from a little gymnast named Svetlana Rotchacockov behind the girls softball field before the game.  Top 3 baby. War Damn!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2021, 02:31:20 PM »
The 37-14 win over Western Kentucky in 2005 was magical because I got a hand job from a little gymnast named Svetlana Rotchacockov behind the girls softball field before the game.  Top 3 baby. War Damn!!!

does your wife know about this?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2021, 03:19:42 PM »
does your wife know about this?
I married Svetlana.  It's true what they say about gymnasts.  They're very flexible.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2021, 06:24:36 PM »
The 37-14 win over Western Kentucky in 2005 was magical because I got a hand job from a little gymnast named Svetlana Rotcharoosterov behind the girls softball field before the game.  Top 3 baby. War Damn!!!
Wiregrass, you're going to just sit there and let Snags call you a "little gymnast?"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2021, 07:02:24 PM »
FSU game Jan 2014 for the NC....that one felt similar to Final Four vs Va and Twins/Braves....snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in all 3. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2021, 07:05:19 PM »
Wiregrass, you're going to just sit there and let Snags call you a "little gymnast?"
and I thought Wiregrass' name was Vlad, not Sveltlana?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2021, 08:44:17 AM »
Well, I was until I got the twisties.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2021, 09:34:03 AM »
I thought this was another Buzz birthday thread.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.