Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Oklahoma and Texas Officially Break Up with BIG XII

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Oklahoma and Texas Officially Break Up with BIG XII
« on: July 26, 2021, 11:35:58 AM »
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/31889044/texas-longhorns-oklahoma-sooners-tell-big-12-not-renew-grant-media-rights?linkId=125410855

Oklahoma and Texas officially notified the Big 12 on Monday that they will not be renewing their grants of media rights following their expiration in 2025, according to a joint statement released by both schools.
"Providing notice to the Big 12 at this point is important in advance of the expiration of the conference's current media rights agreement," the statement said. "The universities intend to honor their existing grant of rights agreements. However, both universities will continue to monitor the rapidly evolving collegiate athletics landscape as they consider how best to position their athletics programs for the future."
Big 12 sources told ESPN on Monday that the statement leaves some "wiggle room," and doesn't fully guarantee the flagship schools will remain in the league through 2025. The possibility remains that they pay the $75-80 million penalty for leaving early, while also giving the required 18 months notice, per Big 12 bylaws. Some have speculated that this is the first legal maneuver, and the possibility also exists that if the Big 12 dissolves before 2025, OU and Texas would no longer be bound to stay through the duration of the contract.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Oklahoma and Texas Officially Break Up with BIG XII
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 11:53:07 AM »
The more I think about the possibility of Texas and OU joining the SEC, the more I hate it.  Everything is changing rapidly, all in the name of money.  Traditions be damned. Not a fan of where college football is headed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 12:39:06 PM »
This is about more than money. It's about relevance. Texas and OK know they are THE brands of the Big 12 but the rest of that conference is Sun Belt level at best in terms of national prominence and getting a shot at the title. No one cares about Cinderella even if they say they do. 'Horns and Sooners realized they were dragging some dead weight around and decided to join the super party. It's probably the last evolution we get (aside from expanding playoffs) before CFB becomes a relic that no longer exists. I look at it like those last Disney Star Wars movies. They suck and the fact that Star Wars is everywhere kinda sucks, but it was bound to happen anyway. All we can do is buy the popcorn and enjoy the last ride, my man.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 12:52:23 PM »
The more I think about the possibility of Texas and OU joining the SEC, the more I hate it.  Everything is changing rapidly, all in the name of money.  Traditions be damned. Not a fan of where college football is headed.
Shake your fist at the sky a little harder, ol' timer.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 01:54:02 PM »
Get the hell off my lawn.  Don’t make me get up out of this rocker.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 07:26:08 PM »
He ain’t wrong though. What makes cfb great is everything he just said. Without that stuff it’s just a farm league for the nfl which is where we’ve been heading for a decade really. And it’s ok not to like that. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE