Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Big Empty

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
The Big Empty
« on: July 01, 2021, 04:13:40 PM »
Thought of the day:  I remember waking up in an Arizona hotel to the maid pounding on my door early in 2011.  I was tired. I’d watched the whole 2010 championship game all over again after I got back to the hotel from the game.  I’d celebrated with people I didn’t know and never saw again. I’d cheered (and cried) watching something I’d dreamed of all my life but had decided would never happen be realized. 

As I woke up in the dark to the banging on my door, head hurting, groggily trying to figure out where I was, it dawned on me.  Nothing had changed. Nobody was going to see me or us differently.  There was no validation or vindication.  Outside of a small select group and a team of merchandisers ready to prey on us, nobody gave a shit. The world had moved on.  We were still the same Auburn we’d always been (sorta, because that night led to a series of idiot moves internally, but I mean to the outside world). Nobody was going “ohhhh, now I get it!” 

I think today of the MSU fans. Chest beating and flag waving today over a crown in a sport almost no one cares about.  Quick—  list the last four CWS champions.  See? 

As those fans emerge from their centuries-long hibernation, searching for that Emory Bellard era jersey they’re pretty sure is still in the back of their closet, looking for some sticker or flag they can use to identify themselves as “winners” to a world that doesn’t care… has that same sense of puzzling emptiness gripped them? Are they yet aware that whatever happened has not changed anything?

At least we won in a sport that matters with a player who will be remembered for generations. 

Hell, State. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: The Big Empty
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 04:40:47 PM »
I got the rug pulled out from under me in 2011 and couldn't make the trek to Zona'.  We had a big gathering of friends and family over to watch the game.  We had great food, a ton of tasty beverages and all of us hung on every play.  When that kick went through the uprights, we raised the roof, high fived, low fived, hugged...acted like we hadn't just hugged....how about those Bears?

....and then we cleaned up, said War Eagle to each other, they all left and I went to bed.  The next morning, I went to work and got a few congratulations and work went on like any other day. 

Winning the Natty was great.  As a graduate and a fan, I'm proud to say my team claimed one, and a short time later, came seconds away from a 2nd in 3 years.  But honestly, I get more satisfaction from wins in our rivalries.  That 3 weeks in 2017 when we took down FUGA, a nobody and Bama, was a great time to be an Auburn Tiger.  I celebrated waaayyyy more after the Prayer in Jordan Hare and Kick 6 than I did the win over Oregon. Going on the field with my son after the 2019 Iron Bowl win, like a Bama fan rushing to get Saban to sign their baby, was more memorable than the MNC game.

Winning the MNC was in no way empty for me.  Just different and a notch below ripping FUGA's heart out....occasionally. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 11:52:32 PM »
I got the rug pulled out from under me in 2011 and couldn't make the trek to Zona'.  We had a big gathering of friends and family over to watch the game.  We had great food, a ton of tasty beverages and all of us hung on every play.  When that kick went through the uprights, we raised the roof, high fived, low fived, hugged...acted like we hadn't just hugged....how about those Bears?

....and then we cleaned up, said War Eagle to each other, they all left and I went to bed.  The next morning, I went to work and got a few congratulations and work went on like any other day.

Winning the Natty was great.  As a graduate and a fan, I'm proud to say my team claimed one, and a short time later, came seconds away from a 2nd in 3 years.  But honestly, I get more satisfaction from wins in our rivalries.  That 3 weeks in 2017 when we took down FUGA, a nobody and Bama, was a great time to be an Auburn Tiger.  I celebrated waaayyyy more after the Prayer in Jordan Hare and Kick 6 than I did the win over Oregon. Going on the field with my son after the 2019 Iron Bowl win, like a Bama fan rushing to get Saban to sign their baby, was more memorable than the MNC game.

Winning the MNC was in no way empty for me.  Just different and a notch below ripping FUGA's heart out....occasionally.
Maybe not empty.  

Don’t know what I expected but it didn’t change me or anybody else. I suppose I thought it would be one of those crossroads moments where nothing is the same from that moment forward. It wasn’t that. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 11:05:01 AM »
Maybe not empty. 

Don’t know what I expected but it didn’t change me or anybody else. I suppose I thought it would be one of those crossroads moments where nothing is the same from that moment forward. It wasn’t that.

I wouldnt say that in totality.....FWIW - it still gets under the skin of Georgia fans BADLY. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 09:13:59 AM »

I wouldnt say that in totality.....FWIW - it still gets under the skin of Georgia fans BADLY.
That's just it, though.  It bothers them, which doesn't benefit me.  It's actually made them WORSE to deal with.  There's still the same disdain and general hate, but now they've added a layer of bitter jealousy on top of it.  

Mississippi State fans (are there really any of them, and if so why?) are still the same low-bred, country-ass, camouflage-wearing, four-wheeler ridin', deer/turkey/coon/squirrel killin', ill-fitting clothes wearin', cheap beer swillin', pork rind guzzlin' backward-ass necks they were a week ago.  

"Winning" a CWS didn't make Starkville less of an absolute shit-hole.  Didn't make the ugliest fucking uniforms in the SEC any nicer, isn't going to make a single payment on any of their double-wides, isn't going to change the oil in their 2012 Dodge Ram... 

Six months from now nobody is going to remember.  

Maybe I'm just jaded, I don't know.  I spent all of my life wanting a title.  I left parts of my soul on the floor in 1983, 88, 89, 04.  I'd honestly given up on ever seeing it.  I don't know what I expected in 2010 when that thing I'd always wanted, yearned for was finally in my hands.  It just didn't change anything.  That was my point.  Life went on.  We were still Auburn. There was no more respect, no more love, no more than we had before.  In fact it was the opposite.  Hate reigned.  Lots of it.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions