Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

TJ Finley

Re: TJ Finley
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2021, 07:48:39 PM »

$0.79 during my stint on the Plains.  Pre-Glenn/Dean location.

West Magnolia, baby!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2021, 11:14:08 AM »
I'm confused.  Was CW one of "his" guys?

...and if they're not "on board" then why the fudge did they show up on campus?  A little early for a mutiny and I've seen nothing to indicate one is warranted (ie - practice fights, general police blotter activity...).

From all accounts, he interviewed well and many vouched for him. But his passion wasn't up to Harsin's expectations. While maybe a few of the other coaches are also not performing (one could argue Bobo, DL Coach, even Mason), they are in sync with Harsin on how to right the ship - their approach, their intensity. I think this is where Corn was perhaps different. The Boise guys know what is expected of Harsin. The SEC guys know what is expected at Auburn/SEC. Corn was that odd man out coming from Sun Belt and no P5 experience. But sometimes these things don't rear their heads until you are on the job. And its obvious sometimes that its not going to change. Doesn't mean Corn is good or bad - just that there is a difference in approach that Harsin doesn't think meshes with his overall vision at this point - and that it won't anytime soon. And when you have a Broyles Award Finalist that has worked for you before just sitting there to be had, and he understands that expectation fully? I think it was an easy decision. Now, why he didn't initially hire THIS guy is beyond me. Perhaps it (at first) had to do with Corn's ties into South Alabama and recruiting. But he wasn't exactly lighting it up in that dept either.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 11:16:18 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2021, 02:11:30 PM »
I haven't read anything on the subject yet, so I don't know if Co Harvinz has named a starter.  If not, I see Nix starting with a very short leash.  Ironically, it was the Auburn/LSU game last year when Finley got benched and Nix had the best game of his career. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2021, 03:49:58 PM »
I haven't read anything on the subject yet, so I don't know if Co Harvinz has named a starter.  If not, I see Nix starting with a very short leash.  Ironically, it was the Auburn/LSU game last year when Finley got benched and Nix had the best game of his career.

perhaps rekindle the magic of last year against that same LSU team minus Stingley and a couple of DL.

I saw where LSU's rushing attack rating is near the bottom of D1 too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Snaggletiger,
No reactions
WDE

bgreene

« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2021, 03:04:05 PM »
Tony Franklin eviscerates Auburn, Bryan Harsin: ‘You hired a weak man with no backbone’

By Mark Heim | mheim@al.com
The beginning of the end for Bryan Harsin has already begun.

That’s quite a statement, considering the man has coached a grand total of four games at Auburn.

However, the signs have already reared their ugly heads, if you subscribe to Tony Franklin’s line of reasoning.

Yes, that Franklin. The former Auburn coach offensive coordinator fired mid-season by Tommy Tuberville in 2008 held nothing back when talking about the Tigers on “The Coach Tony Franklin” podcast.

“You hired a weak man with no backbone who is gonna get run over by all these boosters,” he said.

It’s already happened, he explained.

The wheels were set in motion on Saturday, Sept. 18 in Happy Valley. Facing fourth-and-2 inside the 5, the Tigers called a questionable and unsuccessful pass play. The result: Penn State 28, Auburn 20.

“You called a press fade for the inside slot receiver for your go-to play to beat Penn State?” he asked. “That’s your go to? That’s what you got? That’s what you go to?”

As a result, the boo birds were out, questioning the play, from Internet trolls to big-money men, Franklin contends. So, Harsin had to give the masses something to quiet the negativity. He gave them a scapegoat, according to the former coach.

On Sunday, Harsin parted ways with first-year wide receivers coach Cornelius Williams less than 24 hours after Auburn completed a come-from-behind 34-24 win against Georgia State in the team’s nonconference finale.

“Four games in and you crack, and you fire your receivers coach?” he asked. “The best coached group on the field for offense was your receivers. You’re basically firing your receivers coach because your offensive line sucks. Your offensive line is bad.”

The proof, he explains, was in the game against Georgia State when TJ Finley hit Shedrick Jackson for the game-winning touchdown with just under a minute to play.

“The ‘great’ Georgia State team that came in and deserved to beat you,” he started. “... You had an offensive lineman who missed a block. He whiffs. Your quarterback makes a play. Then, the play of the day, your receiver, who was coached on what to do on a scramble play, makes the catch for the touchdown.

“Did you fire the offensive line coach? He’s an Alabama guy (Will Friend). That would make all the Auburn people happy. Fire the Alabama offensive line coach. He started four years at Alabama, and you hired him as your offensive line coach?”

Friend, for the record, had coaching stints at Tennessee, Colorado State and Georgia before landing the job at Auburn.

Now, Franklin knows what you are thinking. He is bitter toward Auburn because he was fired in the middle of the 2008 season. In addition, he coached Williams at Troy, so he has a personal allegiance to the former Hoover High star.

You’re right. He loves Williams, but he also loves Auburn, he said. He went on to say he “deserved” to be fired in 2008 and “is good with it.”

“You showed the powers that be they run the show,” Franklin said of Harsin. “They make the calls.

“If you want to blame somebody for sucking right now, the way your football team sucks, I got a great idea. Instead of firing Cornelius, or whoever the next guy is you’re going to fire, just quit. Just resign.”

Franklin continued to hammer away at the Tigers, who he said are nothing more than a reflection of their coach.

“The characteristics of this football team are the same as the coach: soft, soft, soft,” he said.

“They aren’t a physical team. I’ve seen physical Auburn football many times in my life as a fan, as a coach.”

Franklin’s zingers continued throughout his 22-minute podcast.

Here are some of the more sensational comments below.

On the OL

“The offensive line is worse than bad. They don’t look like they know what they are doing. ... They can’t pass pro(tect). The quarterback already has the yips. I don’t think the quarterbacks are well coached either. The running backs don’t make plays in space against a good team.”

On playing hard

“The offense and defense are soft. They don’t play hard, and they’re not very good or talented. If they played the hardest they could play, you could be a middle-of-the-pack SEC West team. If you don’t get it fixed, I don’t know if you can win a game in the SEC.”

On Georgia State

“You almost lost to Georgia State? You should have lost to Georgia State. Georgia State has a better team than you do.”

“The problem, no offense to everybody that was there before you, you don’t have many good players.”

On Harsin being the next Tuberville

“We turn into Tommy Tuberville No. 2. The thing about Tommy Tuberville is he’s gonna get some good players. Whatever it took to get him, he’s gonna get them. Now, in the end, he didn’t have good enough players. He knew (Alabama coach) Nick Saban was gonna beat his brains out, so he quit. They paid him $5 million to quit.”

On competing with Alabama

“You’re not in the same hemisphere with Alabama talent wise, but you are also really poorly coached. That’s a reflection of you, sir, Bryan Harsin.”

Check out the Franklin podcast here.

Mark Heim is a sports reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
Members reacted funny:
Godfather,
No reactions
No reactions
"Men are made stronger on the realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm."

-Sidney Phillips

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2021, 03:28:56 PM »
I surely hope this guy can interview Selena Roberts and Terry Bowden next!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2021, 03:41:17 PM »
I surely hope this guy can interview Selena Roberts and Terry Bowden next!
I've heard some really bad things on Eric Ramsey's podcast too.  I'm nervous.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2021, 04:05:13 PM »
Good to be hangin around!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2021, 04:28:20 PM »
Good to be hangin around!

I like this guy.^^^
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2021, 04:53:13 PM »
What a drunk assed rant.  Sounds a lot like me going back and forth with GH and GF during a game.

Fuck that guy.  Fire em'.  Fire em' all.  And while you're at it, go suck a canker sore covered dick.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2021, 09:12:20 AM »
Heyyyyy its Tony Franklin. A failed OC whose only MILD success was at Troy for a few years. He's also unemployed and has never been in demand. He is the innovator of the Meerkat Popup, the "optimal 254 lb OLineman" and the owner of the 3-2 Miss State debacle. But sure.....lets call a guy that's averaged 10 wins a year a weak soft ass from your lame ass podcast. That'll show em.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Buzz Killington,oldautiger,
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2021, 09:54:59 AM »
All I can say is, thank God, it looks like Britney Spears' conservatorship nightmare is finally over.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2021, 11:34:56 AM »
All I can say is, thank God, it looks like Britney Spears' conservatorship nightmare is finally over.
Tony Franklin could have done a better job with that
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Snaggletiger,GH2001,
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2021, 08:28:44 AM »
He’s not ready. Can service if Nix gets hurt or needs to settle down for a drive but not the answer this year. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Buzz Killington,
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2021, 09:20:57 AM »
He’s not ready. Can service if Nix gets hurt or needs to settle down for a drive but not the answer this year.

And Nix is ready? 

I'm glad he ran around like a drunk chicken against LSU because that worked.  That same tactic is not going to get anywhere but the road to an ungreased ass raping against better teams. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2021, 09:37:16 AM »
And Nix is ready? 

I'm glad he ran around like a drunk chicken against LSU because that worked.  That same tactic is not going to get anywhere but the road to an ungreased ass raping against better teams.
Unfortunately, with the matadors playing up front, that is probably the best option for this season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2021, 10:17:33 AM »
Unfortunately, with the matadors playing up front, that is probably the best option for this season.

I agree with the Birdie.  We have a bunch of Olayyyyyy muther fuckers up front right now and better to have a QB that can run for his life. 
The only thing a pocket passer will be able to do in this offense is get killed. 
Fuck we are are who we thought we were.  Good defense with an offense that is going to sink us and that starts up front.  If LSU could actually tackle we would have been fucked there as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2021, 10:52:45 AM »
I agree with the Birdie.  We have a bunch of Olayyyyyy muther fuckers up front right now and better to have a QB that can run for his life. 
The only thing a pocket passer will be able to do in this offense is get killed. 
Fuck we are are who we thought we were.  Good defense with an offense that is going to sink us and that starts up front.  If LSU could actually tackle we would have been fucked there as well.

Our line is pretty solid in run blocking.  If the gawldang WRs would catch a fucking ball (looking at YOU Kobe Hudson), the offense could get some room to breathe.

I anticipate that nasty UGA defense will stack the box and hound Nix all day.  So, we need lots of slants, screens and QB draws to slow them down a bit and loosen up the D a bit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2021, 10:58:41 AM »
Our line is pretty solid in run blocking.  If the gawldang WRs would catch a fucking ball (looking at YOU Kobe Hudson), the offense could get some room to breathe.

I anticipate that nasty UGA defense will stack the box and hound Nix all day.  So, we need lots of slants, screens and QB draws to slow them down a bit and loosen up the D a bit.

I disagree.  IMO we have not seen a real good DL yet.  I hope I am wrong but I suspect that we are about to get our shit pushed in by the leg humpers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

bgreene

« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2021, 11:05:35 AM »

The ONLY thing that is going to slow them down is when they are briefly resting on the sidelines in between their offense shredding our weak secondary.  I feel like the only hope we have is that they make themselves tired from all the excessive scoring and dancing they will do against us. That will be our chance to sneak up and thump them on the nutts.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Men are made stronger on the realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm."

-Sidney Phillips