Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

So Obama Can Take Pokes At Nancy Reagan But We Can't Poke At Him

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
So Obama Can Take Pokes At Nancy Reagan But We Can't Poke At Him
« on: November 07, 2008, 04:39:01 PM »
Obama says he won't pull a Nancy Reagan and rely on seances.

Pretty classy move by the new pres

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1108/Obama_has_spoken_only_to_living_presidents.html
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: So Obama Can Take Pokes At Nancy Reagan But We Can't Poke At Him
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 04:45:18 PM »
I'll make fun of anyone who claims to speak to dead people or anyone who relies upon an astrologer for advice.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 04:55:24 PM »
I'll make fun of anyone who claims to speak to dead people or anyone who relies upon an astrologer for advice.

Here in lies the problem, if it is OK to make fun of one person that you deem worthy of ridicule, how can it not be OK to make fun of someone you don't feel worthy or ridicule?  I take offense to making fun of an ex first lady who has lost her husband that many believe to be one of the best presidents ever.  Is it really taking the high road for Obama to take the opportunity in his first press conference to throw the Reagans under the bus?

I'm sure that Obama thinks Nancy Reagan is an ignorant, out of touch whitey that believes in seances and astrology.  He seems to be painting with a rather broad brush considering he does not know her from adam's house cat
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 04:57:21 PM by AUTailgatingRules »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 05:00:11 PM »
Here in lies the problem, if it is OK to make fun of one person that you deem worthy of ridicule, how can it not be OK to make fun of someone you don't feel worthy or ridicule?  I take offense to making fun of an ex first lady who has lost her husband that many believe to be one of the best presidents ever.  Is it really taking the high road for Obama to take the opportunity in his first press conference to throw the Reagans under the bus?

I'm sure that Obama thinks Nancy Reagan is an ignorant, out of touch whitey that believes in seances and astrology.  He seems to be painting with a rather broad brush considering he does not know her from adam's house cat

Here's the problem:  You seem to think that Nancy, due to her former position as First Lady and new status as widow is above reproach.

I think that no matter who the fucking person is, if they do something stupid, then you can point and laugh.  Seances/astrologers are stupid.

Fess up, you call Miss Cleo all the time, don't you?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 05:00:58 PM »

It is possible to make fun of someone without having to bring up their race.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 05:10:52 PM »
Here's the problem:  You seem to think that Nancy, due to her former position as First Lady and new status as widow is above reproach.

I think that no matter who the fucking person is, if they do something stupid, then you can point and laugh.  Seances/astrologers are stupid.

Fess up, you call Miss Cleo all the time, don't you?

You seem to think that Obama, in his position as Pres Elect, is above reproach.  When he gets elected on the back of getting 95% of the black vote, we are not to bring up his blackness in any jokes or ridicule.  I have plenty to disagree with him on that has nothing to do with him being black, but that does not take away from the fact that there will be many spoofs that I will find funny that have to do with his race.

As you laughing at anyone that talks to dead people, I will laugh at anyone who votes for a man simply because he is black.  And please don't try to tell me that that was not the deciding factor for most of his black voters.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 05:12:03 PM by AUTailgatingRules »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 05:15:17 PM »
You seem to think that Obama, in his position as Pres Elect, is above reproach. 

I'm not sure what brought you to that conclusion.  I'll clown anyone that does stupid things.  Obama hasn't done anything stupid so far.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 05:25:04 PM »
I'm not sure what brought you to that conclusion.  I'll clown anyone that does stupid things.  Obama hasn't done anything stupid so far.

What makes the jokes and spoofs coming out on Obama right now funny is the reaction by the "black" community to his election.  Jesse crying, dancing in the streets of Atlanta, etc.  If you can't see the humor in the reaction to his election then you have your blinders on
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 07:14:35 PM »

I guess you better start making fun of Hillary.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1108/Obama_apologizes_to_Nancy_Reagan.html
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 01:00:28 PM »
What makes the jokes and spoofs coming out on Obama right now funny is the reaction by the "black" community to his election.  Jesse crying, dancing in the streets of Atlanta, etc.  If you can't see the humor in the reaction to his election then you have your blinders on

I don't know how you can minimize the importance of this election to the black community.   This is a very big deal for them, and rightfully so.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 01:10:57 PM »
I don't know how you can minimize the importance of this election to the black community.   This is a very big deal for them, and rightfully so.

:thumbsup:  (We need a "truth" emoticon.)

As funny as the black jokes may be, this is an inopportune time to make them.  Just because there are many blacks who make inappropriate white jokes doesn't mean that it's okay to make them back at them.  Two wrongs don't make a right. 

The black community has NEVER had a president that remotely resembles their skin color.  To make a quip about it just makes that person look like a sore loser. 

Now, if Barack Obama starts acting thug or does any other stereotypical black actions that are deemed worthy of being poked at, then we'll start talking.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 01:15:28 PM »
Now, if Barack Obama starts acting thug or does any other stereotypical black actions that are deemed worthy of being poked at, then we'll start talking.

I think this sentence shows you actually get what Tailgate is saying.  I think Wes has already been there as well.   Funny thing is, I think all three of you MIGHT be on the same page. 

Look, if Obama does something in the next 24 hours that falls under Townhall's observation, then he should be open to ridicule as openly and as cruely as me, you or say, even George W. Bush.   I think there's a fuzzy line being treaded by many on the comedy level because of his color as opposed to comical observation.

I agree it's a touchy subject for now, and we all know that "timing is everything" in comedy.   Let's see where everyone is in a month... or tomorrow if something presents itself....

JMO...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 01:43:49 PM »

... if Obama does something

This is the important consideration. I think that every person is subject to ridicule for their actions, those things that they make a conscious decision to do.  It makes no difference if the person is Barack Obama, Nancy Reagan, Mother Theresa...or Gandhi.

What we've seen since Tuesday, though, have been unfunny attempts at jokes made only because of the color of Obama's skin.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 01:50:12 PM »
Here's whats funny. At work on monday some girl, who had lost sight of her better judgement, decided to put a political statement in he sig pic on her emails. She had an American flag with the following statement written on it:

"I'll keep my guns, money, and morals, and you can keep your change", or something just like that.

So I come into work and several people are buzzing (mainly the black folks, if I can say that someone is black without being a racist. Also a couple of white folks too though.) that this was racist and they are really offended.

I just laughed and told them to give me a freaking break. Yes, it was very inappropriate to put it in her work email account but it is not racist to say that you don't want the change that obama is offering.

Thats what pisses me off about today's pc it has now gone overboard in the opposite direction. It is cry racist and ask questions later. Don't dare show humor towards someone skin color. I mean don't show humor towards someone skin color if they are black. If they are white you can make all the pasty jokes and others you want to and that is fine. But for the love of god and all that is wholy don't ever make a light hearted joke about the color of a black mans skin.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 02:22:03 PM »

"I'll keep my guns, money, and morals, and you can keep your change", or something just like that.

I don't think that's racist at all. It's simply a play on his campaign slogan. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 02:44:29 PM »
It's not. That doesnt stop the ignoprant from saying it is.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions