Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Sychronicity

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Sychronicity
« on: April 06, 2021, 03:29:42 PM »
Siddown, Gordon Sumner.  I'm talking about the O-Line and QB being on the same page for once.  I wasn't aware of the history between Friend and Bobo.  

Will Friend’s offseason was eventful, to say the least.

After spending the last three years as the offensive line coach at Tennessee, Friend was courted to the same position at South Carolina as part of first-year head coach Shane Beamer’s staff on Dec. 27 — a little more than a week after the Vols’ season came to an end. Then, 11 days later, Friend was hired at Auburn, taking over as the Tigers’ offensive line coach on Bryan Harsin’s inaugural staff.

To top it all off, Friend tested positive for COVID-19 shortly after Tennessee’s regular-season finale against Texas A&M on Dec. 19. Despite all that going on for Friend, the veteran offensive line coach said his offseason “wasn’t as hectic as you would think.”

“It wasn’t a whole lot I could do but sit around in the house,” Friend said. “I tested positive right after our (last) game, had to wait the 14 days and was in Columbia (South Carolina) for a couple of days, then in Auburn.”

It wasn’t exactly the journey Friend anticipated embarking on once Tennessee’s season came to an end, but he’s excited about the destination it led him to at Auburn, where he is reuniting with longtime friend and colleague Mike Bobo. That reunion was always part of the plan this offseason, with Friend first joining South Carolina’s staff to link up with Bobo, who was originally retained by Beamer at South Carolina after serving as the Gamecocks’ offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach last season.

After Harsin tabbed Bobo for the same role on his staff at Auburn, the two wanted to bring Friend to the Plains as part of the Tigers’ staff too. For Friend, it was an opportunity that was too good to pass up, given his longstanding relationship with Bobo and familiarity with Harsin, as well as his deep ties to the state.

Between his bout with COVID-19 and the quick change to Auburn, Friend hadn’t even had a chance to settle or buy a house in South Carolina.

“I have a lot of respect for the South Carolina program and Coach Beamer; I think he’ll do a really good job there,” Friend said. “So, no knock for him with what I’m saying, but he’s an outstanding coach and that’s a good program. It was just a matter of having the opportunity to come with Mike and have the opportunity to be back in a state that I’m — I’ve lived a lot of my life in. And my family’s from here. Like I said earlier, how much respect I have for this program, but also how much respect I have for the state of Alabama, for football, for how important football is in the state of Alabama. It’s home for me. I lived 18 years in Mississippi and probably just as close to as many years in the state of Alabama. So that was exciting.”

Friend may have grown up in Philadelphia, Miss., but he went to school at Alabama, where he was a four-year starter and two-time All-SEC offensive lineman. He also got his coaching career started in the state at West Alabama in 2001 before spending a season as a high school assistant coach in Tuscaloosa the following year. He also spent four seasons as an assistant at UAB from 2007-10.

That time at UAB was sandwiched by two stints on staff at Georgia, first as a graduate assistant from 2003-04 (followed by two years as offensive line coach at Gardner-Webb), then as the Bulldogs’ offensive line coach from 2011-14. It was during those stop at Georgia that Friend developed a relationship with Bobo, who was Georgia’s quarterbacks coach during Friend’s first stint in Athens, Ga., and had been promoted to offensive coordinator by the time he returned for a second stint with the Bulldogs.

“We were both young coaches… and that’s kind of where our relationship started on that staff, together, and just kind of always stayed in touch with each other,” Friend said. “Our dads were high school coaches. We believed in the same things offensively and really just had a good working relationship, and off the field our families were close. Families live close to each other. So, all of that kind of played into part, too.”

When Bobo left Georgia after the 2014 season to become head coach at Colorado State, he brought Friend along with him as the Rams’ offensive coordinator and offensive line coach. The two worked hand in hand for three seasons, culminating in a 2017 campaign that saw Colorado State’s offense rank 11th nationally in total offense (492.5 yards per game) and 31st nationally in scoring (33.4 points per game).

Friend left Colorado State after that season for an opportunity at Tennessee, but he knew he wanted to work with Bobo again at some point. Then the opportunity presented itself this offseason — even if it came in an unorthodox manner, first at South Carolina for a couple of weeks and now at Auburn, where he is taking over a position group that, while returning all of its starting experience from a year ago, remains one of the biggest question marks on the roster.

“Really just some of the best professional years that I’ve had were working with Mike, working within his system,” Friend said. “So, that was a blessing. We wanted to get back together. Kind of made a stop somewhere else and then ended up in Auburn. But it’s great to get back working with each other.”

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2021/04/new-auburn-ol-coach-will-friends-offseason-was-eventful-but-not-as-hectic-as-you-would-think.html
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Sychronicity
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 04:29:59 PM »
Wasn't aware of that either, but honestly, who cares who the O-line coach at Colorado State is? Having said that, 11th ranked offenses make me moist.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 04:36:01 PM »
Wasn't aware of that either, but honestly, who cares who the O-line coach at Colorado State is? Having said that, 11th ranked offenses make me moist.
To be fair, he was OL coach at Tennessee and UGA as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 05:06:15 PM »
It’s an embarrassment for any respectable Auburn man to have not known that Friend and Bobo have extensive ties. So, I can see why neither of you would be embarrassed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 05:07:40 PM »
Here's hoping together they can police this offense and put a little sting in the OL.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 05:12:30 PM »
Here's hoping together they can police this offense and put a little sting in the OL.
May need to hire a private eye to accomplish this. Damn. Hall and Oates. Someone needs to spank me. Quick.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 05:14:53 PM by WiregrassTiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 05:18:23 PM »
To be fair, he was OL coach at Tennessee and UGA as well.
FUGA.  BTW, they bought that other DB that left WVU.  Tykee Smith is a badazz who played with Dreshun Miller.  Thought he might be transferring to join his boyeee, but FUGA cock blocked that with a Wendy's Major Bag Alert.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 02:04:10 PM »
FUGA.  BTW, they bought that other DB that left WVU.  Tykee Smith is a badazz who played with Dreshun Miller.  Thought he might be transferring to join his boyeee, but FUGA cock blocked that with a Wendy's Major Bag Alert.

Absolutely a bag man alert on this one. Word from every damn insider in the world had this kid heading to play for Zak Etheredge. Even Mike Ferell said the Auburn staff knocked it out of the park in their meetings with him and his family. This one came out of nowhere it seems......if nowhere is a hidden slushfund from Hugh Nall.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 02:41:30 PM »
Absolutely a bag man alert on this one. Word from every damn insider in the world had this kid heading to play for Zak Etheredge. Even Mike Ferell said the Auburn staff knocked it out of the park in their meetings with him and his family. This one came out of nowhere it seems......if nowhere is a hidden slushfund from Hugh Nall.
I am soooo ready for those filthy bastages to get nailed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 08:31:23 AM »
I am soooo ready for those filthy bastages to get nailed.
Don't hold your breath
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 10:47:58 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions