Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Sous vide gadget working wonders

jmar

Sous vide gadget working wonders
« on: February 25, 2021, 04:29:03 PM »
So I'm in the experimental stages and so far can attest to the medium rare finish as well as the value of this item as far as meats go. Mine is an 800 watt Instant Accu Slim. There are more expensive brands out there with more bells and whistles but I chose the one that suits me.

One thing of dire importance is that you have to add more water multiple times to keep the wand within the correct water level. Don't know how one could pull this off without actually being there so the WiFi, Bluetooth attraction becomes a moot addition.

Nevertheless, the 1 1/2 inch cowboy ribeyes and the 2.2 lb. corned beef brisket came out perfect after a quick one and a half minute scorching on both sides, the latter dusted in flour.

Knowing plenty of restaurant folk combined with my experience with reverse sear led me in this direction and it seems a mouth watering success.

We might not get restaurant grade prime beef but we can take choice cuts and make them much better than expected.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

Re: Sous vide gadget working wonders
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 08:50:39 AM »
Follow up posty.

I like having things my way but just having to add water to the bath multiple times makes it an inconvenience. You might go to the auto parts store or the supermarket and not add water but it's best to have an assistant to bring up the level if something more time consuming comes up.

My oven can hold 200 degrees for a reverse sear with water beneath but it's a dryer method. Sous vide can hold a steady 180 and the results are spot-on for more efficient medium rare outcome. 

Bottom line: The final product is wonderful but the time commitment isn't worth the trouble...at least not for me.
I don't like being chained to something that requires even infrequent attention over an 8 or 10 hour time frame. Maybe you have a pet that needs to go out similarly. Perhaps you can train them to keep an eye on the pot and allow them to share in the results.
That's another commitment.

I don't work in a steakhouse where handling a large volume of meats is a part of everyday life. They have warming drawers available to just yank out prime cuts to sear to ones liking.

The prep time and payoff can be compared to another human activity. And honestly I don't know that it's worth it.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 08:52:22 AM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 05:18:41 PM »
I've tried it with the country boy method.   Plastic bags, potato chip clips, submersible thermometer.  Results were great and I didn't have to watch it all that much.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

jmar

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 02:59:13 PM »
I've tried it with the country boy method.  Plastic bags, potato chip clips, submersible thermometer.  Results were great and I didn't have to watch it all that much. 
Science can explain all it wants about evaporation of over a forty degree difference at 180 degrees for 10 hours as opposed to 2 or 2 1/2 hours at 138.
But as you know I don't believe in science. Something or someone sneaked into the house and stole my water. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 11:09:05 PM »
Son seared 4 Montreal seasoned ribeyes while I deep fried zuchinni.
Getting the hang of it.
130 degrees for 2 hrs.
Good eatin'.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 11:11:50 PM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions