Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Bridge Builders

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Bridge Builders
« on: February 12, 2021, 12:01:10 PM »
Yeah, these are the people I want building bridges.  The ones that are taught that how they "feel" about a math problem is more important than understanding how to solve it.   The ones taught that there's no such thing as a right answer to an equation, and furthermore to demand one is racist! 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/oregon-education-math-white-supremacy

We are the stupidest nation on earth.  

A purge is coming. We are going to idiot ourselves into one.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: Bridge Builders
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 12:33:25 PM »
Yeah, these are the people I want building bridges.  The ones that are taught that how they "feel" about a math problem is more important than understanding how to solve it.  The ones taught that there's no such thing as a right answer to an equation, and furthermore to demand one is racist!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/oregon-education-math-white-supremacy

We are the stupidest nation on earth. 

A purge is coming. We are going to idiot ourselves into one. 
You are one extraordinarily racist white man.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 01:56:13 PM »
I don’t understand how “showing your work” or “being right” are racist. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 02:08:35 PM »
And that's why you are such a racist.

I'm just hoping the whole double mask thing ends up thinning the herd somewhat.  Then maybe the non-Darwin finalists can start thinking for themselves again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 02:52:11 PM »
I was told there would be no math.

I'm with Jar, and everyone else.  How in the fickity fuck can you glean racism from working a math problem?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 02:54:29 PM »
As Buzz pointed out, these are very racist questions. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 02:57:05 PM »
I was told there would be no math.

I'm with Jar, and everyone else.  How in the fickity fuck can you glean racism from working a math problem?
You probably also believe that gorilla glue doesn’t need a warning about not using it as hairspray. Racist bastard.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 03:00:41 PM »
Some people need to understand that poor kids are just as bright as white kids. They do not need to prove it with an racist math problem.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 06:03:21 PM »
You probably also believe that gorilla glue doesn’t need a warning about not using it as hairspray. Racist bastard.
Effem. Remove all warning labels and let it work itself out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2021, 03:33:03 PM »
They won't be building/designing bridges. First, they'll have to pass Cal I, Cal II, Cal III (and Cal IV if Qtr hours). Then there's Differential Equations and Linear Algebra. That should eliminate most of them because the cream always rises to the top.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2021, 05:38:52 PM »
They won't be building/designing bridges. First, they'll have to pass Cal I, Cal II, Cal III (and Cal IV if Qtr hours). Then there's Differential Equations and Linear Algebra. That should eliminate most of them because the cream always rises to the top.
RACIST!!! 

Requiring them to “pass” those classes is evidence of your white privilege. 

We must have a broader conversation of what this word “pass” means.  How it demeans students who are less abled. How that requirement is a barrier to single teenage mothers, people of color and immigrants.  How it impacts the esteem of students who took the time to write down an answer.  We must search for ways in which to interpret all answers as correct in their own way.  We must put aside this colonial expansionist view that a problem can have only one correct answer.  The answer to any problem may have multitudinous answer based on the life experiences of the student, zhis emotional state at the time of answer and other mitigating factors.  How dare you impose your faux white superiority by “correcting” zher!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 02:36:09 AM »
They won't be building/designing bridges. First, they'll have to pass Cal I, Cal II, Cal III (and Cal IV if Qtr hours). Then there's Differential Equations and Linear Algebra. That should eliminate most of them because the cream always rises to the top.
There was no Calc IV.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2021, 08:09:33 AM »
There was no Calc IV.
There was Calculus 4 in 85-88 at Faulkner State Junior College (Quarter Hours). There was also Cal-based Physics I, II, III. There was Fortran IV(77) on an IBM System 36 mainframe (they had RPG on it too along with COBOL which I did not take). PC: Turbo-Pascal.

One of my Professors, who graduated from Auburn University with a BS in EE, then later obtained his Master's Degree in EE (Thesis on Satellite Communications, DoD) from the Naval Postgraduate School was my Physics and Fortran Professor (He later went to work for the Air-Bus Engineering department).

« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 08:54:38 AM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2021, 02:01:11 AM »
There was Calculus 4 in the 85-88 at Faulkner State Junior College (Quarter Hours). There was also Cal-based Physics I, II, III. There was Fortran IV(77) on an IBM System 36 mainframe (they had RPG on it too along with COBOL which I did not take). PC: Turbo-Pascal.

One of my Professors, who graduated from Auburn University with a BS in EE, then later obtained his Master's Degree in EE (Thesis on Satellite Communications, DoD) from the Naval Postgraduate School was my Physics and Fortran Professor (He later went to work for the Air-Bus Engineering department).
There was no Calc IV at AU from 86-90...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2021, 08:53:45 AM »
I didn't go to AU, but all of my siblings did. My half-brother graduated from AU with a Mechanical Engineering degree. Two sisters have degrees from AU along with my father who graduated in 1962 in Building Science. He's the reason I'm an electrician.

After finishing at Faulkner State Jr. College, I was going to transfer to Troy, that is until they showed me how much money I was going to have to borrow to finish my degree in Computer Science/Engineering with a minor in Business Management (I already had $6000+ in debt for student loans I had to pay off. In the '80s, starting pay for Computer Programmers/Engineers was like $28.000/year right out of college. I couldn't get grants because I had VEAP, which was a suck-ass program from the military during the time I served, circa the Reagan years 1982-85 active duty). I chose to go to work because I found something I loved to do. Big mistake IMHO. Now, I'm old and the body isn't doing well. It's tough to keep up with those younger guys. I'm 58 years old.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 09:16:24 AM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2021, 10:32:00 AM »
I thought you were pre-med?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2021, 11:39:57 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2021, 09:25:13 AM »
Pre-law.
I never stooped that low.
I never got out of pre engineering.
Ended up with an applied math degree. Minor in mechanical.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2021, 03:00:32 PM »
There you go with that racist language again.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2021, 03:22:25 PM »
I wish I was making this shit up.  

Mathematics fields in the United States (US) were developed to preserve the elite status of White, upper-middle–class men (Castro, 2014; Leyva, 2017; McGee, 2016). Mainstream mathematics education plays a central role in this preservation and, consequently, in the marginalization of people of color (Battey & Leyva, 2016). Consistent racial ordering of mathematical achievement reifies a racialized hierarchy of mathematical ability, maintaining this status and effectively marginalizing Black, Indigenous, and Latinx students. We see this appear in White-normed measures such as the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) and college readiness exams (e.g., SAT) with little to no change across decades of school reform efforts. This hierarchy squarely places Black, Latinx, and Indigenous students on the bottom, and White and Asian students at the top (Deyhle & Swisher, 1997)

TLDR version: Non-whites/Asians don't perform well on math assessments.  Therefore, racism.  

One of the authors of the 126-page examination of racism in math is from Vandy.  Her name is (I kid you not) Ebony McGee.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions