Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

2021 Pandemic Version Of Baseball Bitchin' & Moanin'

Re: 2021 Pandemic Version Of Baseball Bitchin' & Moanin'
« Reply #200 on: August 17, 2021, 03:17:13 PM »
Auburn seems to be immune to reverse karma in regards to fans. Only when the media frowns on the Tiggers do they over-perform. Bama though? They just don't seem to gaf either way.
Worth a shot.  Fuck Georgia.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #201 on: August 22, 2021, 06:31:40 PM »
Braves polish off a 9-0 road trip to go to 12 games over .500.  Like I said, they had some bad teams on the schedule they had to make hay against.  Never expect 9-0 but just happy to see they took care of business.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #202 on: August 23, 2021, 09:36:03 AM »
The only joy I’ve gotten from this year was Kolton Wong stealing second on Yadi, and then Yadi signing the base. I can’t even make fun of the Cubs because we suck like they do. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #203 on: August 23, 2021, 02:30:02 PM »
The only joy I’ve gotten from this year was Kolton Wong stealing second on Yadi, and then Yadi signing the base. I can’t even make fun of the Cubs because we suck like they do.
No.  You don't.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #204 on: August 24, 2021, 04:55:34 PM »
Molina just signed one year deal for 2022.  Would like to get Waino one more year, also.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #205 on: August 24, 2021, 05:01:20 PM »
Molina just signed one year deal for 2022.  Would like to get Waino one more year, also.
12-7 with a 3.10 ERA.  Lowest ERA in 6 years.  Wainwright had a string from 2009 to 2015 of ERA's under 3.00.  Dude was sick.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #206 on: August 24, 2021, 08:22:05 PM »
12-7 with a 3.10 ERA.  Lowest ERA in 6 years.  Wainwright had a string from 2009 to 2015 of ERA's under 3.00.  Dude was sick.
And I have no idea how Greg Maddux went 2.70 and under for 7 straight (including 3 of those under 2.00) during the juiced ball era of the mid to late 90s. It’s mind boggling really. 

Kind of like how Tony Gwynn had the same amount of strikeouts in 20 seasons in a pitching era as this ohteni kid does the last few seasons.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 08:24:17 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #207 on: August 25, 2021, 12:02:23 PM »
And I have no idea how Greg Maddux went 2.70 and under for 7 straight (including 3 of those under 2.00) during the juiced ball era of the mid to late 90s. It’s mind boggling really.
I was never, and still aren't, a Braves fan, but I'd watch them on TBS whenever Maddux was pitching (and no disrespect to Smoltz or Glavine those guys are worthy Hall of Famers).  Maddux had the best placement of any pitcher, ever. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #208 on: August 25, 2021, 12:05:29 PM »
And no Cy Young...  Split the vote with Carp in 2009.  Actually had more first place votes than Tim Lincecum (12 to 11), but Carp had 9, and Lincecum ended up winning.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #209 on: August 25, 2021, 12:12:47 PM »
I was never, and still aren't, a Braves fan, but I'd watch them on TBS whenever Maddux was pitching (and no disrespect to Smoltz or Glavine those guys are worthy Hall of Famers).  Maddux had the best placement of any pitcher, ever.
I saw an interview with him where he said something I'll never forget.  He said he knew where every hitter liked the ball, so he'd throw it there....but not exactly there.  Just a smidge (My words) from the sweet spot.  I get the feeling that hitters got so frustrated, thinking they got their pitch every time up there, but can't figure out why they grounded out twice and popped up once.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #210 on: August 26, 2021, 10:03:24 AM »
I saw an interview with him where he said something I'll never forget.  He said he knew where every hitter liked the ball, so he'd throw it there....but not exactly there.  Just a smidge (My words) from the sweet spot.  I get the feeling that hitters got so frustrated, thinking they got their pitch every time up there, but can't figure out why they grounded out twice and popped up once. 
So my story...

Back in the day, I had the chance to sit in the Braves dugout for a series against the Reds.  Except for the time I was blocking the dugout camera so Pat Corrales could pick his nose, I sat down toward the end of the bench where a baby pre-starter Andruw Jones used a pocket knife to carve figures out of a bat. 

On the days he wasn't pitching, Maddux was in there and nobody bothered him. Never seen anybody study hitters like Maddux did.  Wrote things down.  I heard he would get video of all the home runs hit the night before and study location and selection. 

What he did, more than anybody before or since, was be numbingly consistent.  Same motion, same release point, same delivery no matter what it was. Did away with the visual cues the good hitters look for to know what type of pitch was coming. Which is why you'd see them swing early on the changeups, be late on the fastball and be confused as hell when the curve didn't break and sliced the edge of the plate. 

No offense to Ryan, Glavine, Smoltz, Neikro, Pedro, Curt, Randy the seagull killer, Clemens, Gooden, Fernando, Hersh or any of the other pitchers through the years, but Maddux was the best I ever saw. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

« Reply #211 on: August 26, 2021, 07:31:51 PM »
So my story...

Back in the day, I had the chance to sit in the Braves dugout for a series against the Reds.  Except for the time I was blocking the dugout camera so Pat Corrales could pick his nose, I sat down toward the end of the bench where a baby pre-starter Andruw Jones used a pocket knife to carve figures out of a bat. 

On the days he wasn't pitching, Maddux was in there and nobody bothered him. Never seen anybody study hitters like Maddux did.  Wrote things down.  I heard he would get video of all the home runs hit the night before and study location and selection. 

What he did, more than anybody before or since, was be numbingly consistent.  Same motion, same release point, same delivery no matter what it was. Did away with the visual cues the good hitters look for to know what type of pitch was coming. Which is why you'd see them swing early on the changeups, be late on the fastball and be confused as hell when the curve didn't break and sliced the edge of the plate. 

No offense to Ryan, Glavine, Smoltz, Neikro, Pedro, Curt, Randy the seagull killer, Clemens, Gooden, Fernando, Hersh or any of the other pitchers through the years, but Maddux was the best I ever saw.

He's always been in my Top 3-4 all time. If not the best. He, Bob Gibson, Sandy Koufax, Nolan Ryan. 

Yeah yeah, I know - Cy Young. I have zero frame of reference there, so yeah...sure.

I like all those you mentioned and they all had bright spots, especially Clemens for a long time. But Maddux was absolutely the most consistent pitcher I've ever seen. Much like Tony Gwynn on the other side of the plate and Bonds as well -  juice or  no juice - he was an all tool player and really just a tool in general. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #212 on: August 26, 2021, 07:32:27 PM »
And no Cy Young...  Split the vote with Carp in 2009.  Actually had more first place votes than Tim Lincecum (12 to 11), but Carp had 9, and Lincecum ended up winning.

You aint never met no Cy The Young. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #213 on: August 27, 2021, 09:48:30 AM »
He's always been in my Top 3-4 all time. If not the best. He, Bob Gibson, Sandy Koufax, Nolan Ryan.

Yeah yeah, I know - Cy Young. I have zero frame of reference there, so yeah...sure.

I like all those you mentioned and they all had bright spots, especially Clemens for a long time. But Maddux was absolutely the most consistent pitcher I've ever seen. Much like Tony Gwynn on the other side of the plate and Bonds as well -  juice or  no juice - he was an all tool player and really just a tool in general.
Kind of funny take.  

I read an interview one time with Maddux where he was taking about how his consistent delivery would keep hitters off balance because the reality is that in the seconds they have from delivery to crossing the plate a batter cannot judge the speed of the ball.....  "except that fucking Tony Gwynn."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

« Reply #214 on: August 27, 2021, 01:47:38 PM »
Kind of funny take. 

I read an interview one time with Maddux where he was taking about how his consistent delivery would keep hitters off balance because the reality is that in the seconds they have from delivery to crossing the plate a batter cannot judge the speed of the ball.....  "except that fucking Tony Gwynn."

Thats good stuff. He is one of the most underrated Players of all time, and I think much of that had to do playing for shit teams in SD....not a great lineup either, imagine if the guy had Acuna or Freeman hitting in front or behind him?

Some mind numbing stats to me about Gwynn:

• Gwynn faced Greg Maddux 107 times in his career -- more than any other pitcher. He batted .415/.476/.521 against the four-time Cy Young Award winner and Hall of Famer. That's easily the highest average against Maddux for any player with at least 70 plate appearances.

•  Among the 38 pitchers he faced at least 50 times, he batted at least .300 against 32 of those 38 pitchers, including Tom Glavine, Nolan Ryan, John Smoltz and Orel Hershiser.

• In the past 100 years, nobody has more batting titles than Gwynn's eight.

• The historic 1994 season in which Gwynn batted .394 -- the closest anyone has come to hitting .400 since Ted Williams did so -- was cut short by the strike.

• Rather famously, Gwynn struck out three times in a game only once -- against Bob Welch and the Los Angeles Dodgers in 1986.

• Including postseason play, Gwynn faced 18 Hall of Fame pitchers for a total of 541 plate appearances. Gwynn batted .331/.371/.426 against them.

• In his entire 20-year career, Gwynn struck out 434 times -- an average of 21.7 K's per season. Last season, 129 players had struck out 22 times by the end of April

• Gwynn batted .300 in every season but his rookie year.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #215 on: August 27, 2021, 02:32:09 PM »
Absolutely amazing numbers.  And the guy never looked like, or carried himself like a great athlete.  Then he'd step in the box and slap a line drive over the shortstop's head.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #216 on: September 08, 2021, 12:31:55 PM »
Pujols hitting that HR at Busch last night was a pretty cool moment.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #217 on: September 08, 2021, 01:08:13 PM »
Pujols hitting that HR at Busch last night was a pretty cool moment.
I mean, if you're gonna' lose anyway....

The Dodgers have been "quietly" becoming what everybody thought they would be.  Now 37 games over .500 and getting the pitching they need to win all the close ones.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #218 on: September 08, 2021, 06:06:35 PM »
I mean, if you're gonna' lose anyway....

The Dodgers have been "quietly" becoming what everybody thought they would be.  Now 37 games over .500 and getting the pitching they need to win all the close ones. 

I mean, they paid enough. Its basically an all star team. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #219 on: September 15, 2021, 03:44:11 PM »
I don't know why I keep watching...  But they are now in sole possession of the second wild card.  1/2 game up on Cincy and 1 game up on San Diego.

Braves 4.5 up on Philly.  Brewers up 13.5 on the Cards.

In the NL, SF and LAD are the only two teams to have clinched.

Magic number for the Brewers is 5, and ATL is 15.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions