Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

First Base HOF

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
First Base HOF
« on: August 04, 2021, 03:21:03 PM »
Listening to Dan Patrick at lunch and he had Joey Votto on for an interview.  Great interview BTW.  He's extremely funny.  They got to talking about the Hall of Fame and comparing himself to other 1st basemen.  Got me thinking about a few so I looked up some quick stats for current players near and (Formerly) dear to our hearts, with relatively the same amount of time in the game.  Just used the only stats I care about, Career Batting Average, Hits, Home Runs and RBI's.  No WHIP or FLIP or exit velocities or dick size.

Anthony Rizzo

Started in 2011  .270 BA  1,336 Hits  270 HR  798 RBI

Paul Goldschmidt

Started in 2011  .291 BA  1,502 Hits  266 HR  885 RBI

Freddie Freeman

Started in 2010  .295 BA  1,640 Hits  264 HR  918 RBI (Basically the same number of years as the two above as he only played in a handful of games in 2010)

Joey Votto

Started in 2007  .303 BA  1,984 Hits  316 HR  1,025 RBI

Obviously, Votto has a few more years under his belt, but maintaining a career average above .300 in this day and age of specialty pitching is damn impressive.  I imagine Rizzo, Goldy and Freddie all have some good years left.  Do they get in the Hall?

« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 03:22:36 PM by Snaggletiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Re: First Base HOF
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 11:21:34 AM »
I imagine Rizzo, Goldy and Freddie all have some good years left.  Do they get in the Hall?
I think it depends if we still consider 3000 hits or 500 HR to be the threshold to get in.

I think of all of them, Rizzo has the best chance, especially with that 2016 WS under his belt.

You think 2500 H and 350-400HR can get them in?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 11:52:12 AM »
I think it depends if we still consider 3000 hits or 500 HR to be the threshold to get in.

I think of all of them, Rizzo has the best chance, especially with that 2016 WS under his belt.

You think 2500 H and 350-400HR can get them in?
I do simply because I hope the writers, or whoever it is that votes, understand the game today and how hard it is to hit. In most games, you may face a pitcher for 2 at-bats, then a different guy every time after that.  Everyone now throws 95-100.  That's why I was saying Votto having a career average above .300 is amazing.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 11:56:57 AM »
Rizzo will get in now because he's a damn yankee and I would be pissed if Freeman doesn't make it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 12:23:04 PM »
Rizzo will get in now because he's a damn yankee and I would be pissed if Freeman doesn't make it.
He'd better go in as a Cub.  Just like Poo-Holes had better have a Red Birds cap on.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 07:52:12 AM »
No love for Sid Bream? 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 09:06:48 AM »
No love for Sid Bream?
Still have a vivid memory of his lame ass trying to get around the bases.  Looked like Hollywood slow motion except it was real time.  At x2 fast foward it looked almost as fast as everyone else.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2021, 09:28:54 AM »
Still have a vivid memory of his lame ass trying to get around the bases.  Looked like Hollywood slow motion except it was real time.  At x2 fast foward it looked almost as fast as everyone else.

SAFE!!!!! BRAVES WIN!  BRAVES WIN!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2021, 10:56:31 AM »
SAFE!!!!! BRAVES WIN!  BRAVES WIN!
That was one of the greatest sports moments of my life.  That was more enjoyable to me than the World Series win (finally).  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2021, 11:32:26 AM »
That was one of the greatest sports moments of my life.  That was more enjoyable to me than the World Series win (finally). 
No doubt.  That game went late into the night and I woke everybody up with my screaming when Bream finally turtled across the plate.  I didn't watch the WS clinching game.  We were at a party and I just checked on the score occasionally.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2021, 12:07:04 PM »
No doubt.  That game went late into the night and I woke everybody up with my screaming when Bream finally turtled across the plate.  I didn't watch the WS clinching game.  We were at a party and I just checked on the score occasionally.
I kept turning it off and then flipping back to see because I couldn't stand it.  Down 2-0 in the ninth, and used to getting disappointed by the Bravos my faith was shaken. 

I didn't have much hope when I saw two outs and Francisco (that's fun to say) Cabrera up.  He'd batted like maybe a dozen times all year?  I remembered the year before when he'd three-run bombed the hated Rob Dibble in the ninth in a game Atlanta was down big and came back to win. But having him at the plate in that situation wasn't soothing my nerves..... until...... BASE HIT! 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2021, 01:46:07 PM »
I was a freshman at Auburn when that happened.  A 22 year old freshman living in those fucking horrible Caroline Draughn Village married apartments that I think were built in the 40's.  When Bream's hobbled ass made it across the plate I was outside screaming and partying.  The exchange students that lived there had no fucking idea what was going on except some crazy jarhead was outside their doors screaming.  They called the cops. A discussion was had.  I went back to screaming more so at them then rather around them. 
Good times!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 01:53:39 PM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2021, 02:18:45 PM »
I was a freshman at Auburn when that happened.  A 22 year old freshman living in those fucking horrible Caroline Draughn Village married apartments that I think were built in the 40's.  When Bream's hobbled ass made it across the plate I was outside screaming and partying.  The exchange students that lived there had no fucking idea what was going on except some crazy jarhead was outside their doors screaming.  They called the cops. A discussion was had.  I went back to screaming more so at them then rather around them. 
Good times!
Friends became enemies, enemies became friends, apologies were made and an understanding was reached.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2021, 03:28:08 PM »
Friends became enemies, enemies became friends, apologies were made and an understanding was reached.
There were no apologies
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2021, 06:56:13 PM »
Good times!

Atta boy
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE