Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Savory Cornbread

jmar

Savory Cornbread
« on: December 19, 2020, 04:11:54 PM »
When I make chili, stew or chicken and dumplings I eat this like a machine. It's not sweet though, it's savory- dense, moist and buttery.

Preheat cast iron skillet (you will wish you had two)
to 425 degrees with 1/4 cup of butter. Splash or roll the melted butter along the sides.
It won't stick.

Use large bowl and whisk together:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour.
1 cup corn meal (yellow or white)
*about 1/4 cup masa flour (I use the leftover masa from the Carroll Shelby Chili kits.
1 tsp. baking powder.
1/2 tsp. kosher salt.

Add:
two lg. eggs.
*Another 1/4 cup of semi-nuked butter.
Two cups of buttermilk or 2 cups milk and a nice splash of vinegar works fine if you are without buttermilk.

Whisk just enough to eliminate the powder of the flours and then scape it all into the HOT skillet.

Takes twenty plus minutes but I like mine medium-brown on top with a crunchy exterior.

A clean toothpick proves it's done.

It's really no fail and only a couple of additions from any base cornbread. And it's well worth it.
Want to add corn, jalapenos, green chilis or sweeten it up?
Knock yourself out!

So basically what you get is more moisture and air due to the extra egg, milk and butter.
Hope you enjoy.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 04:22:22 PM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: Savory Cornbread
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 05:38:03 PM »
When I make chili, stew or chicken and dumplings I eat this like a machine. It's not sweet though, it's savory- dense, moist and buttery.

Preheat cast iron skillet (you will wish you had two)
to 425 degrees with 1/4 cup of butter. Splash or roll the melted butter along the sides.
It won't stick.

Use large bowl and whisk together:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour.
1 cup corn meal (yellow or white)
*about 1/4 cup masa flour (I use the leftover masa from the Carroll Shelby Chili kits.
1 tsp. baking powder.
1/2 tsp. kosher salt.

Add:
two lg. eggs.
*Another 1/4 cup of semi-nuked butter.
Two cups of buttermilk or 2 cups milk and a nice splash of vinegar works fine if you are without buttermilk.

Whisk just enough to eliminate the powder of the flours and then scape it all into the HOT skillet.

Takes twenty plus minutes but I like mine medium-brown on top with a crunchy exterior.

A clean toothpick proves it's done.

It's really no fail and only a couple of additions from any base cornbread. And it's well worth it.
Want to add corn, jalapenos, green chilis or sweeten it up?
Knock yourself out!

So basically what you get is more moisture and air due to the extra egg, milk and butter.
Hope you enjoy.
1/2 tsp. kosher salt.

I never knew you were Jewish. Not that it matters.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com