Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

So What If.....

jmar

Re: So What If.....
« Reply #260 on: December 23, 2020, 01:53:05 PM »
So what you’re saying is your prediction of Chip Lindsey was a big fail.  Boom MFrs
He has a 67% success rate on all of his perdictions. Give the dude some credit and keep after him about that like button.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #261 on: December 23, 2020, 02:14:48 PM »
I’m hearing Harsin to Arkansas.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #262 on: December 23, 2020, 02:29:49 PM »
I just perused a Broncos board to get a sense of their reaction.  There are the obligatory "thank God" and "I'll drive him to the airport" and "Christmas came early" reactions.  Most think he'll do well, though.

The one comment that struck me most? 

Will emulate Dabo but with Saban's personality.  That's what they're getting.  Except at Auburn he'll actually be able to get the 5* guys he pursued but Boise couldn't pull. 

Yes. He’s an intense guy that never really gelled with the folks there. They are a “nice” crowd. He is an asshole. Like Saban. His record is spectacular but at boise the personality matters as much if not more - than the coaching acumen. And that’s their big beef with him. As one of their beat writers put it - he was a power 5 alpha male coach at a group of 5 low key school with hardcore group of 5 fans. He honestly fits in better at auburn than he did boise.

And despite the personality conflict? Averaged almost 11 wins a year there. 3 conf championships and never lower than 2nd. Almost always first in conf in recruiting.

the big concern is recruiting the south East. Hire the right staff and it’s a non issue. Think: muschamp, mason, twill, dell mcgee - guys like that. And well, another sec school took a chance on a highly successful intense mountain west coach almost two decades ago with no sec recruiting ties: urban meyer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #263 on: December 23, 2020, 02:44:55 PM »

Yes. He’s an intense guy that never really gelled with the folks there. They are a “nice” crowd. He is an asshole. Like Saban. His record is spectacular but at boise the personality matters as much if not more - than the coaching acumen. And that’s their big beef with him. As one of their beat writers put it - he was a power 5 alpha male coach at a group of 5 low key school with hardcore group of 5 fans. He honestly fits in better at auburn than he did boise.

And despite the personality conflict? Averaged almost 11 wins a year there. 3 conf championships and never lower than 2nd. Almost always first in conf in recruiting.

the big concern is recruiting the south East. Hire the right staff and it’s a non issue. Think: muschamp, mason, twill, dell mcgee - guys like that. And well, another sec school took a chance on a highly successful intense mountain west coach almost two decades ago with no sec recruiting ties: urban meyer.
We want a winner even if its a heartless rotten bastard. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #264 on: December 23, 2020, 02:53:56 PM »

And well, another sec school took a chance on a highly successful intense mountain west coach almost two decades ago with no sec recruiting ties: urban meyer.
And well this school took a chance on someone else who was from a Mountain West school four decades ago when we were in the death throws.  I am hoping for the same or better results.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

jmar

« Reply #265 on: December 23, 2020, 02:58:32 PM »
And well this school took a chance on someone else who was from a Mountain West school four decades ago when we were in the death throws.  I am hoping for the same or better results.
I thought Sonny Smith was from east Tennessee.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #266 on: December 23, 2020, 03:00:29 PM »
I understand Haskle has his own version of the twirley bird. I cannot wait!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

jmar

« Reply #267 on: December 23, 2020, 03:09:38 PM »
I understand Haskle has his own version of the twirley bird. I cannot wait!
Harbin bringin the statute of liberty.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #268 on: December 23, 2020, 03:11:01 PM »
I thought Sonny Smith was from east Tennessee.
You shut your dirty whorish mouth
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #269 on: December 23, 2020, 03:17:32 PM »

While true - he had an assload of connections and sec exp.

the urban comparison is more to harsin in the media criticism of him having no sec recruiting connections. Neither did Meyer really other than a short stint at bowling green in Kentucky. That’s as close as he got. At least harsin was at Texas and ark st for a bit. I don’t think recruiting will be an issue.

back to your point - dye had been an asst in the sec. then hc at East Carolina and coming off a 6-5 campaign at Wyoming. Our fan base would melt down over that resume today if Hired. Yet a certain faction is bitching today over a guy who avged almost 11 wins a year 6 years running - because he’s perceived as “not nice”. I’ve literally seen people say “I miss Gus already”. I swear I want to throat punch these people. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 03:19:31 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #270 on: December 23, 2020, 03:17:59 PM »
You shut your dirty whorish mouth
What?
Sonny made us a respectable contender.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #271 on: December 23, 2020, 03:26:03 PM »
While true - he had an assload of connections and sec exp.

the urban comparison is more to harsin in the media criticism of him having no sec recruiting connections. Neither did Meyer really other than a short stint at bowling green in Kentucky. That’s as close as he got. At least harsin was at Texas and ark st for a bit. I don’t think recruiting will be an issue.

back to your point - dye had been an asst in the sec. at East Carolina and coming off a 6-5 campaign at Wyoming. Our fan base would melt down over that resume today if Hired.
I recall not being too stoked about Dye. He took command at his opening presser, made some bold statements then proceeded to deliver on his promises.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #272 on: December 23, 2020, 03:37:23 PM »

the urban comparison is more to harsin in the media criticism of him having no sec recruiting connections. Neither did Meyer really other than a short stint at bowling green in Kentucky.
I hope we don't give him da brain pain like Florida did Urban

And you are correct about Dye not being the same I was just struck this morning that the last time we went really off the reservation to hire someone was Dye forty years ago.  Everyone else since then has been expected or already had ties that was expected.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 03:38:56 PM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #273 on: December 23, 2020, 03:37:46 PM »
I recall not being too stoked about Dye. He took command at his opening presser, made some bold statements then proceeded to deliver on his promises.
I’d love for you and kaos to tell us about what it was like when Mike Donahue was hired.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

jmar

« Reply #274 on: December 23, 2020, 03:55:23 PM »
I’d love for you and kaos to tell us about what it was like when Mike Donahue was hired.
Coach Donahue didn't waste his time on tomfoolery. He believed the boys would succeed through hard work, discipline and camaraderie.

He even gave them water when it was absolutely necessary.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bgreene

« Reply #275 on: December 23, 2020, 04:40:40 PM »
Men, to be honest, I don't know much of anything about Harsin but, the more I see of what he's done, the more I like the hire.  I'm stoked and all in as should every AU fan. And for those wishing Gus was still with us, go hop on his bus as it leaves town.  We don't need those fans!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Men are made stronger on the realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm."

-Sidney Phillips

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #276 on: December 23, 2020, 05:19:57 PM »
You laugh. But Mike Dubose was the coach at my high school just as I was about to enter high school. Water was definitely withheld! Water was a weakness back then.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #277 on: December 23, 2020, 06:19:20 PM »
Coach Donahue didn't waste his time on tomfoolery. He believed the boys would succeed through hard work, discipline and camaraderie.

Said water was dispensed via a hose. 

Needing water when I played (baseball) in high school was a sign of weakness.  Water?  Take a salt pill you whiny bitch.  

We had one 15 minute water break in the middle of a 2.5-3 hour practice.  There was a hose attached to some metal thing with holes drilled in it.  When the hose was turned on, you had to get in there and jostle for what was coming out.  At the end of the break, the spigot was turned off.  
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 06:21:59 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #278 on: December 23, 2020, 06:32:06 PM »
Yeah, the water thing was a bit different back then.  At Jeff Davis there was one hose at the practice field.  Everybody line up and lap up as much as you can.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

« Reply #279 on: December 23, 2020, 06:58:34 PM »
It's a good thing knowing that we all played a small part in water conservation through our athletic endeavors.

And we had a kid almost clock out for ingesting 6 salt tablets before practice...you know...more always being better.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 07:01:36 PM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions