Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

So What If.....

Token

Re: So What If.....
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2020, 01:51:24 PM »
Posted before but bears repeating.

Auburn is very close to becoming Tennessee and Florida State, sliding into decades of total irrelevancy.

Not saying that's the reason to keep what we've got but we better be right.
I disagree. Auburn has a top 5 college football uniform with the road whites. Possibly top 3.  As crazy as it sounds these kids nowadays factor that stuff into their decisions.  They are also an iconic school in a great conference with state of the art facilities. 

They just need to find the right coach and stick with him. Auburn recruits itself and will always. They just need a good coach who is allowed to do what he wants. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2020, 02:01:24 PM »
I disagree. Auburn has a top 5 college football uniform with the road whites. Possibly top 3.  As crazy as it sounds these kids nowadays factor that stuff into their decisions.  They are also an iconic school in a great conference with state of the art facilities.

They just need to find the right coach and stick with him. Auburn recruits itself and will always. They just need a good coach who is allowed to do what he wants.
False. Auburn's facilities are behind the league and other national leaders. Thus the push for the "football only" facility which, so far, is some cleared land where an old track used to be. The locker room is well-outfitted but incredibly small.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Token

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2020, 02:04:19 PM »
Ok, well I assumed they were up to par. I stand corrected on that but I still believe they are probably better than 90% of other college teams. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2020, 02:25:11 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Token

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2020, 02:31:30 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2020, 02:32:35 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2020, 02:40:15 PM »
fudge Buzz.
You would love that, wouldn't you? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2020, 02:46:30 PM »
We all would.

Wait....was that too loud?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2020, 02:48:01 PM »
We all would.

Wait....was that too loud?
rowr
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2020, 03:01:53 PM »
I can neither confirm nor deny this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2020, 04:50:44 PM »

Clearly upgraded since I last saw it in 2018. Good. I stand corrected.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2020, 05:36:53 PM »
Clearly upgraded since I last saw it in 2018. Good. I stand corrected.
I have no idea how that compares to other SEC programs' facilities.  Last week, I was supposed to spend 3 days in Tuscaloosa at a seminar.  The Rona knocked it out at the last minute.  I knew I was going to be behind enemy lines, but I was actually looking forward to taking a look around to see how their facilities compared.  I have a feeling it's kind of the gold standard with the money that flows through that program. I haven't been to Tuscaloosa since college.   

I've been to a few other campuses and stadiums over the years.  Not even close to how many I'd like to visit.  FUGA is the most overrated place I've been.  I'd take JHS and our campus over that cesspool any day of the week.  Been to FSU countless times for both football and basketball games.  The stadium is pretty nice.  They use the Civic Center downtown for basketball, but they do put on a show.  It helps to have beer and liquor kiosks throughout the building.  By game's end, I'm usually like, "Thish ish a really nishe fashilities. Go EFFISHOOO".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2020, 07:33:03 PM »
I believe GH made the comparison of Freeze and Petrino earlier.  Could be.  Both hot coaches until their double lives got exposed.  Petrino got his chances again and while no personal stuff got in the way (that I'm aware of), he just never got back whatever magic he had prior to his "motorcycle accident".

The personal crap with Freeze doesn't bother me very much.  He screwed up, as so many people do.  What I'd be more worried about after looking into his actual record, is I believe we'd be getting Gustav The Sequel.  I've been kind of caught up in the whole, "He made Ole Miss relevant, beat Saban and look what he's doing at Liberty" dealio.  But when you break down his record, he was 10-3 in his one year at Arky State.  Guess who was 9-3 in his one year at ASU?  He was 39-25 at Ole Miss, which included a 1-3 record against....guess who?  Yes, he beat Saban a couple of times.  Who has beaten Saban more?  Yep, you guessed it.

As K alluded to with making the decision to stay with the status quo or trying something else.....I would opt for something else if they canned the Gusser.
Kind of gravitated towards this view the last 48 hours as well. I’m just meh on freeze. Between what’s went on with chuck person and what freeze did at OM - ncaa may very well setup a satellite office on college street. He got top 10 classes there due to a blank checkbook. And did it obnoxiously. He’s on the radar now. Of both the ncaa and the rec. just don’t know if I want this. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2020, 07:38:21 PM »
Ok, well I assumed they were up to par. I stand corrected on that but I still believe they are probably better than 90% of other college teams.
That scoreboard though. Ain’t it the tits ?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2020, 10:28:06 AM »
So here we are a few days later and the "what if" became reality.  I've said for quite some time that I want the splash, home run hire.  Someone that makes the college football world take notice and say Auburn just got serious about winning.  We never have in my lifetime and trust me, that's a long time.  There's more than a few names out there that would check the boxes; however, I don't trust anyone in our administration to even try.  These are not the brightest bulbs on the tree.  Let's face it, the only thing taking the heat off Auburn right now for having to pay a coach $21 mil just to leave, is another SEC team losing any shot at a national championship because one of their players threw a shoe.

So since Urban, Bob Stoops, Pete Carroll or Knute Rockne ain't coming, I've tempered my expectations. Some of the names already being tossed out there don't thrill me.  Give Kevin Steele a shot?  Sweet Haysus, the man was 9-36 (1-31 Big 12) at Baylor.  Hugh Freeze?  He averaged 5 losses a year at Ole Miss, was 1-3 against Gus and was pretty much black balled by Sankey when Saban thought about bringing him on board.  Lane Kiffin?  Why? He needs another short-lived coaching stop on his resume? 

But maybe that's what we settle for.  Probably will be.  I will say that just about anyone, other than Steele, would breathe much needed, new life into this program.  Just a change in the environment, a new philosophy or a different voice in their ears might breed success in the short term.  It did with just about every single previous coach at Auburn.  But it's the long term I'm worried about.  If we hire Freeze or Kiffin or any number of names being thrown out, are we right back here in a few years having the same conversations?  I'd wager we are.  We're Auburn.    
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2020, 10:43:16 AM »
Well what about Cristobal?  I bet Momma G's would get themselves a Cuban sandwich.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2020, 10:49:50 AM »
Well what about Cristobal?  I bet Momma G's would get themselves a Cuban sandwich.
Why is it always about race with you?

One really good thing about Crystalball is he'd definitely check the box on recruiting the south.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2020, 10:53:16 AM »
Why is it always about race with you?

One really good thing about Crystalball is he'd definitely check the box on recruiting the south. 
Motherfucker it's about good eats with me.  Whether it be a Cuban sandwich or chicken and waffles.  My racism is delicious.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2020, 12:02:58 PM »
Motherfudgeer it's about good eats with me.  Whether it be a Cuban sandwich or chicken and waffles.  My racism is delicious.
It's cool.  He's taking it back.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2020, 12:12:31 PM »
It's cool.  He's taking it back.
Turns out Grandma WAS pretty racist.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.