Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Dim Bulbs

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Re: Dim Bulbs
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2020, 11:48:56 AM »
Legit points made ^^ but why has it just now gotten like this? It was not like this to this degree when I attended Auburn in the mid late 90s and I thought I had plenty there on campus to be successful. In fact I loved it. It had what I needed. The astronomical rise has really happened since the turn of the century. Are all these ammentities really needed? Or is this simply a product of the arms race and elite libtard professors demanding 120K for teaching two 400 level classes a semester? Even if they have the word emeritus in their title. I think its multiple things.....but I can tell you this - the cost of it cannot sustain at this rate. There is no way to sugarcoat it - it is entirely too expensive compared to other things in society.
It's part the demand of faculty and part the change in demands of what students/parents expect and demand. Why wasn't it there when we were in school? We didn't expect it or demand it. Is it really needed? Debatable but it's what is there. Is it sustainable? Nope but neither is the deficit spending jag our Fed and State govts have been on since Reagan left office.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2020, 12:11:17 PM »
Why does a college degree cost so much? Well, because 1) the expectation of parents sending folks to college and folks attending university is that the place needs to provide all the necessities and amenities of a functioning city. And to do that and have it run with any kind of efficiency, the university has to have infrastructure in place that is not only meeting that demand but building towards the next projected set of demands. And there has to be a workforce (not faculty) to make that happen. Those folks don't make a ton but they don't work for free either. It's not just "go to school, get your learn on, get a job and leave." It's not a transactional thing happening in spite of what the idiots in D.C. tell you on the flat screen. So if you want college to be cheaper, then it'll be a couple doublewides in a field with enough electricity to keep the lights on while someone teaches subjects. Those attending will be left to their own devices to figure out what to do with it. Have you talked to many 18-22 year olds lately? Not exactly the most "make a plan and follow through with it" bunch out there, I can assure you.

Side bar - cancelling student debt is a stupid clickbait power grab move and will never be allowed to happen.
To your points:
1) That is only partially true.  That expectation was created by colleges themselves in an arms race to one-up the competition.  It wasn't something parents demanded, it was something the colleges created as a selling point to attract stupid parents.  Forget the quality of education, there's a QUIZNOS in the student union!!  I saw that coming even when I was in school.  There was a cafeteria that served three squares, but then Taco Bell, Wendys and some other sandwich place took over part of the student union. Then they built a bowling alley (that few people ever used), a room for darts and all this other shit nobody asked for in an effort to attract students.  It wasn't something we or the parents demanded, some dipshit bureaucrat did it. 
2) There's a whole thing there. We're not forcing kids to make hard choices and we're not forcing them to deal with the consequences.  If my daughter had come to me and said she wanted to get a degree in Cultural Development of the Indigo Indians I would have told her no.  You have to make a living and you can't shove $40k up a wild hog's ass and not be able to get a job when you're done.  There's nothing wrong with that knowledge, but you can't make it your primary.  Get a degree in something that gives you an opportunity to support yourself and add supplemental courses on the Indigos if that's something that moves you.  Too many parents now allow their kids to do whatthefuckever. Expand your thinking! Pursue your passion! The "passion" of most college age kids is fueled by alcohol and genital juices.  They don't know.  Reality.  How many (other than you damn lawyers) are doing what you started college to do?  Apprenticeships are the way to go.  College?  The way it's structured now?  It's horse shit and a waste of money.  
3) If they cancel student debt, I want a refund for all that I've paid for me and both my kids.  I also want my parents to get a refund for mine.  And Moses.  He needs some since we're related. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2020, 12:20:18 PM »
Legit points made ^^ but why has it just now gotten like this? It was not like this to this degree when I attended Auburn in the mid late 90s and I thought I had plenty there on campus to be successful. In fact I loved it. It had what I needed. The astronomical rise has really happened since the turn of the century. Are all these ammentities really needed? Or is this simply a product of the arms race and elite libtard professors demanding 120K for teaching two 400 level classes a semester? Even if they have the word emeritus in their title. I think its multiple things.....but I can tell you this - the cost of it cannot sustain at this rate. There is no way to sugarcoat it - it is entirely too expensive compared to other things in society.
Point of fact....case in point.....quid pro quo....whatever.

A niece of mine will be starting at the AU in the Fall.  The fam just got an apartment which she will share with 3 other girls.  The rent is $800.00/month....apiece.  Landlords no longer charge a flat rate for a place, it's per person.  So this landlord is getting $3,200.00 a month.  Why?  Because they can.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2020, 03:12:12 PM »

A niece of mine will be starting at the AU in the Fall.  The fam just got an apartment which she will share with 3 other girls.  The rent is $800.00/month....apiece.  Landlords no longer charge a flat rate for a place, it's per person.  So this landlord is getting $3,200.00 a month.  Why?  Because they can.
Damn!  Who wants to build some apartments in Auburn?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2020, 03:39:42 PM »

And I thought the $575 a month I was shelling out for a 3br for mini was bad...dayummm.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2020, 04:01:25 PM »
And I thought the $575 a month I was shelling out for a 3br for mini was bad...dayummm.
Where is he at?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2020, 04:07:36 PM »
Sorry fellow. Facebooks rule not influenced election allow. Try help Donald John but Sleepy and black woman cheat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2020, 04:13:00 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2020, 04:41:30 PM »
JSU
Mississippi is a long way but if he likes the brown people, more power to him.

Pin by Kent Pearson on Points n Drive, I like a lot ... | Jackson state, Jackson  state university, College memorabilia
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2020, 04:45:31 PM »
Damn!  Who wants to build some apartments in Auburn?
I'm your huckleberry.  As long as we build into the project a "developer's unit", paid for by the association dues and exempt from all association rules.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2020, 05:12:39 PM »
I'm your huckleberry.  As long as we build into the project a "developer's unit", paid for by the association dues and exempt from all association rules.
I like the way you think - Prison Lady Like Yeahh | Meme Generator
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2020, 05:15:48 PM »
Mississippi is a long way but if he likes the brown people, more power to him.

Pin by Kent Pearson on Points n Drive, I like a lot ... | Jackson state, Jackson  state university, College memorabilia
I think it says a lot about Buzz that he would raise a black kid.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2020, 10:18:25 PM »

The new apts being built downtown are like $1200/math with a waiting list. It’s ridiculous.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2020, 06:40:35 AM »
We shall put it in the covenants
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2020, 06:51:04 AM »
Y'all pivoted real quick from "college costs too much" to the "rent is too damn high." It is, by the way. Yet another thing about Auburn (the town) that has transformed the mystique of the "loveliest village on the plains" to a corporate construction paradise.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2020, 08:28:25 AM »
Y'all pivoted real quick from "college costs too much" to the "rent is too damn high." It is, by the way. Yet another thing about Auburn (the town) that has transformed the mystique of the "loveliest village on the plains" to a corporate construction paradise.
This really is a sad fact of Auburn. I believe it bothers me more than Gus’ buyout. At the same time, I’m a capitalist pig. So, I will just deal with the changes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2020, 09:26:39 AM »
it’s both. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2020, 10:40:29 AM »
I went to a few sites to check the current average costs of a 4 year degree at Auburn.  This takes into account living in on-campus housing.  These figures are for the 2018-2019 school years and come from collegecalc.org

Tuition:  $11,276.00

Housing:  $13,332.00

Books/Supplies:  $1,200.00

Food/Expenses etc.:  $5,782.00

Total Per Year:  $31,590.00

Four Year Total Costs:  $126,360.00

The average annual cost for out-of-state students is just over $50,000.00.  Auburn currently has 30,460 in total enrollment.  In doing some Chizad math and using the in-state tuition amount, Auburn is taking in $343,466.960.00 annually in tuition alone.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2020, 10:47:57 AM »
I went to a few sites to check the current average costs of a 4 year degree at Auburn.  This takes into account living in on-campus housing.  These figures are for the 2018-2019 school years and come from collegecalc.org

The average annual cost for out-of-state students is just over $50,000.00.  Auburn currently has 30,460 in total enrollment.  In doing some Chizad math and using the in-state tuition amount, Auburn is taking in $343,466.960.00 annually in tuition alone.
Believe me, this is conservative. My son is up there. Your list does not include, spice, weed or hallucinogens.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2020, 11:27:37 AM »

Mini wanted to go there too, but he got some scholly money at Jacksonville.  We had been told to plan for $40K annually.  Thankfully he opted for the scholarship money and now it will only cost us around $18K annually.  That's still twice my salary...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions