Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Dim Bulbs

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Dim Bulbs
« on: November 18, 2020, 04:17:36 PM »
Now that it looks like the Dems will be mostly in power, there's immediately new talk about forgiving or wiping out student loans.  Apparently, I'm the dim bulb because that raises so many questions for me. 

1. Why?

2. Who qualifies?  I've been out of law school for almost 20 years and I'm still paying monthly on the loans I had to take out.  I'm betting I won't qualify.  What do you think?

3. Aren't you effectively putting the loan companies out of business, or is the government going to pay them off? 

4. Can I object to my tax dollars being used to pay for someone else's loan? 

5. Why?

6. So, when they pay off, forgive or wipe out the loans, what happens next?  Students still have to go to school in the future and they still have to pay for it.  Is it just going to be this one lucky, entitled bunch who currently have student loans?  How does that work?

7.  Does this affect colleges in any way?  Do they still get their money or do the Dems want all education to be free?  If so, don't all colleges close down, or do my tax dollars start paying for every future student to go to college?

8.  Why?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Dim Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 04:21:52 PM »
Now that it looks like the Dems will be mostly in power, there's immediately new talk about forgiving or wiping out student loans.  Apparently, I'm the dim bulb because that raises so many questions for me.

1. Why?

2. Who qualifies?  I've been out of law school for almost 20 years and I'm still paying monthly on the loans I had to take out.  I'm betting I won't qualify.  What do you think?

3. Aren't you effectively putting the loan companies out of business, or is the government going to pay them off?

5. Why?

6. So, when they pay off, forgive or wipe out the loans, what happens next?  Students still have to go to school in the future and they still have to pay for it.  Is it just going to be this one lucky, entitled bunch who currently have student loans?  How does that work?

7.  Does this affect colleges in any way?  Do they still get their money or do the Dems want all education to be free?  If so, don't all colleges close down, or do my tax dollars start paying for every future student to go to college?

8.  Why?
^^^

RACIST!  XENOPHOBE!  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 04:24:53 PM »
^^^

RACIST!  XENOPHOBE! 
Well I'm also an Anti-Dentite.  What's your point?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 05:04:24 PM »
Now that it looks like the Dems will be mostly in power, there's immediately new talk about forgiving or wiping out student loans.  Apparently, I'm the dim bulb because that raises so many questions for me.

1. Why?

2. Who qualifies?  I've been out of law school for almost 20 years and I'm still paying monthly on the loans I had to take out.  I'm betting I won't qualify.  What do you think?  No you make too much money

3. Aren't you effectively putting the loan companies out of business, or is the government going to pay them off? yes, maybe but pennies on the dollar

4. Can I object to my tax dollars being used to pay for someone else's loan? No, do as your told

5. Why?

6. So, when they pay off, forgive or wipe out the loans, what happens next?  Students still have to go to school in the future and they still have to pay for it.  Is it just going to be this one lucky, entitled bunch who currently have student loans?  How does that work? College be free, they have not thought out the details

7.  Does this affect colleges in any way?  Do they still get their money or do the Dems want all education to be free?  If so, don't all colleges close down, or do my tax dollars start paying for every future student to go to college?  College be free, they have not though out the details.

8.  Why?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 05:10:29 PM »

1. Why?

5. Why?

6. So, when they pay off, forgive or wipe out the loans, what happens next?  Students still have to go to school in the future and they still have to pay for it.  Is it just going to be this one lucky, entitled bunch who currently have student loans?  How does that work?

8.  Why?
Questions 2, 4, 6 and 7 got my daughter essentially blackballed at Montevallo when her professor ridiculed her for asking and tagged her with a derogatory name that rhymes with ditch witch.  

It's why she transferred out. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 05:18:32 PM »
Tailgating hit the nail on the head.  There's no way anybody proposing this could have given this any thought after, "Hey, let's pay off all the student loans." 

Great idea.  Now what?  There's a never ending flow of students from high school into college.  What do you do with them?  Is it just free, or do they say, "Sorry, you got here too late. But we paid for all those that came before you."  I mean, you can't do it for some and not the rest, right? 

I wish they would get this worked out so they can go on to reparations. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 05:19:56 PM »
Tailgating hit the nail on the head.  There's no way anybody proposing this could have given this any thought after, "Hey, let's pay off all the student loans."

Great idea.  Now what?  There's a never ending flow of students from high school into college.  What do you do with them?  Is it just free, or do they say, "Sorry, you got here too late. But we paid for all those that came before you."  I mean, you can't do it for some and not the rest, right?

I wish they would get this worked out so they can go on to reparations.
I'm gonna need my reparations from the Egyptians.  I'm pretty sure I'm related to Moses.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 05:21:19 PM »
I'm gonna need my reparations from the Egyptians.  I'm pretty sure I'm related to Moses. 
Nobody knows the trouble I've seen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 05:56:55 PM »
Why?  Because they are going to get an entire generation of voters to vote “D.” That’s why. 

I’d be open to reform in the college lending industry. I’d even be open to dropping the interest on government backed loans to zero, provided that if you default on a payment, then the interest rate jumps back up to your original terms. 

But forgiveness?  No. I didn’t force you to go to college. Is it fair to take the taxes of an AC repairman in Peoria, IL, to pay for some kid’s tuition who went and studied gender studies?  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 08:04:10 PM »
Why?  Because they are going to get an entire generation of voters to vote “D.” That’s why.

I’d be open to reform in the college lending industry. I’d even be open to dropping the interest on government backed loans to zero, provided that if you default on a payment, then the interest rate jumps back up to your original terms.

But forgiveness?  No. I didn’t force you to go to college. Is it fair to take the taxes of an AC repairman in Peoria, IL, to pay for some kid’s tuition who went and studied gender studies? 
He has a DEGREE!!

And he's being forced to live with his mom and work at Starbucks because evil corporations won't pay a decent living WAGE.  $15 an hour. 

It's not FAIR you capitalist PIG. 

BTW?  I used to work for a guy who snuck into America on a boat from Cuba. His dad -- a professor -- was jailed by Castro because he didn't support the regime.  Dude went from nothing to American citizen, successful business man and now retired.  He never saw his dad again.  

Talked to him last week.   This is his worst nightmare. The guy was a die-hard Trump supporter. Because he knows.  He knows where this entitled bullshit leads.  He's terrified of what's to come of his kids and grandkids.  
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 08:07:11 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 06:22:57 AM »

BTW?  I used to work for a guy who snuck into America on a boat from Cuba. His dad -- a professor -- was jailed by Castro because he didn't support the regime.  Dude went from nothing to American citizen, successful business man and now retired.  He never saw his dad again. 

Talked to him last week.  This is his worst nightmare. The guy was a die-hard Trump supporter. Because he knows.  He knows where this entitled bullshit leads.  He's terrified of what's to come of his kids and grandkids. 
My father in law was a lawyer in Cuba when Castro came to power.  Fled here with his family before they he was sent to the gulag.  Made a nice life for himself.  He cannot believe what is going on here now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 09:15:04 AM »
My father in law was a lawyer in Cuba when Castro came to power.  Fled here with his family before they he was sent to the gulag.  Made a nice life for himself.  He cannot believe what is going on here now.
Cubans get it....because it's what they came from and once bitten twice shy. I like Cubans. Americans should take some notes from them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 09:29:08 AM »
my two YUGGGGEEEE points here on this.....

1. No cost for this is ever mentioned. It will be astronomical. Its the elephant in the room really.

II. Its a BIG PANDER - period. Its a serious cradle to the grave brick in the bigger wall. Big Gov dependency being furthered (as K somewhat touched on)

ok, two more points:

C. as Snaggie said, what if you already went to school or have no debt any longer? you gonna extend this to mortgages for those folks? it just for college? what about tech school? community college? Specialty trade stuff? What if I wanna pay for it myself....BUT....if gubment is gonna pay it off anyway, hey lets go grab a loan ammarite? Sends a terrible message.

Quattro. as usual, no root cause here is being addressed....simply throwing more money at an issue that shouldn't have happened and isn't being prevented from happening again. College tuition and the cost of living while in college is simply too damn high now. Its increased exponentially against the normal cost of living. Why isn't the assrape dry act of these schools being addressed? They are money holes. They get crazy tuition, endowments, grants, state money, fed money, you name it. And all these dumb ass kids get is a debt that they demand we pay off. Drive these costs down, and a part time job can pay for most tuition believe it or not. We have a cost issue.....not a loan issue. The loan sharks are simply there out of demand.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 09:45:41 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 09:31:06 AM »
Cubans get it....because it's what they came from and once bitten twice shy. I like Cubans. Americans should take some notes from them.
Same here.  There's a Deli in Montgomery that makes one you can barely get your hand around.

Cuban Sandwich - Closet Cooking
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 09:46:34 AM »
Same here.  There's a Deli in Montgomery that makes one you can barely get your hand around.

Cuban Sandwich - Closet Cooking

Lets face it....you like that pickle on top. The sandwich is simply a pedestal 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2020, 09:56:44 AM »
Lets face it....you like that pickle on top. The sandwich is simply a pedestal
Pickle Surprise (60fps) - YouTube
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2020, 09:58:20 AM »
Look...we need free college so we can all make $15 an hour when we graduate into our jobs on the Green Society, where we try to figure out how to time travel to Mars on farting cows.  What don't you get about that, damn evil greedy Capitalist pigs?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2020, 10:13:07 AM »
Look...we need free college so we can all make $15 an hour when we graduate into our jobs on the Green Society, where we try to figure out how to time travel to Mars on farting cows.  What don't you get about that, damn evil greedy Capitalist pigs?
Man With Fist In Air photos, royalty-free images, graphics, vectors &  videos | Adobe Stock
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2020, 10:35:33 AM »
Why does a college degree cost so much? Well, because the expectation of parents sending folks to college and folks attending university is that the place needs to provide all the necessities and amenities of a functioning city. And to do that and have it run with any kind of efficiency, the university has to have infrastructure in place that is not only meeting that demand but building towards the next projected set of demands. And there has to be a workforce (not faculty) to make that happen. Those folks don't make a ton but they don't work for free either. It's not just "go to school, get your learn on, get a job and leave." It's not a transactional thing happening in spite of what the idiots in D.C. tell you on the flat screen. So if you want college to be cheaper, then it'll be a couple doublewides in a field with enough electricity to keep the lights on while someone teaches subjects. Those attending will be left to their own devices to figure out what to do with it. Have you talked to many 18-22 year olds lately? Not exactly the most "make a plan and follow through with it" bunch out there, I can assure you.

Side bar - cancelling student debt is a stupid clickbait power grab move and will never be allowed to happen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

GH2001

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2020, 10:59:49 AM »
Why does a college degree cost so much? Well, because the expectation of parents sending folks to college and folks attending university is that the place needs to provide all the necessities and amenities of a functioning city. And to do that and have it run with any kind of efficiency, the university has to have infrastructure in place that is not only meeting that demand but building towards the next projected set of demands. And there has to be a workforce (not faculty) to make that happen. Those folks don't make a ton but they don't work for free either. It's not just "go to school, get your learn on, get a job and leave." It's not a transactional thing happening in spite of what the idiots in D.C. tell you on the flat screen. So if you want college to be cheaper, then it'll be a couple doublewides in a field with enough electricity to keep the lights on while someone teaches subjects. Those attending will be left to their own devices to figure out what to do with it. Have you talked to many 18-22 year olds lately? Not exactly the most "make a plan and follow through with it" bunch out there, I can assure you.

Side bar - cancelling student debt is a stupid clickbait power grab move and will never be allowed to happen.

Legit points made ^^ but why has it just now gotten like this? It was not like this to this degree when I attended Auburn in the mid late 90s and I thought I had plenty there on campus to be successful. In fact I loved it. It had what I needed. The astronomical rise has really happened since the turn of the century. Are all these ammentities really needed? Or is this simply a product of the arms race and elite libtard professors demanding 120K for teaching two 400 level classes a semester? Even if they have the word emeritus in their title. I think its multiple things.....but I can tell you this - the cost of it cannot sustain at this rate. There is no way to sugarcoat it - it is entirely too expensive compared to other things in society. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE