Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Horror Movies

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Horror Movies
« on: October 28, 2020, 03:59:45 PM »
I need something.  I've seen about everything there is.  It's Halloween-ish.  So give me like a top 5.  Maybe I haven't seen one or two of them.  I know horror is subjective and has categories.  I tend more toward psychological murderey things (Jason, Michael) than I do the supernatural jump scares (babadook, insidious) or the devil possession ones (the possession of **insert woman's name here**).  I'm not a fan of Blumhouse for the most part because they tell the same story over and over.  Annabelle bores me. 

Mine?  

1. Omen/Exorcist - I can't split the two because they both terrified me as a child and they exist on the same plane.  

2. Halloween 1978 -  Low budget, badly acted but it basically created an entire genre and even after all this time it still holds up.  

3. Near Dark - Weird vampire movie that I just like for no real reason.  (Also From Dusk Till Dawn) and Lost Boys also fits in this spot. 

4. Trick r Treat - I've grown enamored with Sam and actually at this moment have a life-sized version of that character sitting at my breakfast table.  

5. Rocky Horror Picture Show (Tim Curry version, not the NBC abomination) - There's just something about the over-the-top performance of Tim Curry that elevates this movie.  It's terrible, but I watch it every Halloween.  

Others that are staples: 
Saw (not all of them, but most), Final Destination 2 and 6, Friday the 13th Part 3, Slither, Halloween 3,  1930s Hunchback, Dracula and Frankenstein,  Happy Death Day, House of 1000 Corpses and Devils Rejects,  American Werewolf in London, Carrie/Christine/Cujo/Pet Semetary.  Some people consider Deliverance a horror movie.  I don't.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Horror Movies
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 04:12:15 PM »
Good cinema to me:
Saw
Halloween
Exorcist
Pyscho
MAYBE Amityville
Maybe Conjuring

Classics but not necessarily great cinema:
Friday the 13th
Nightmare
Omen
Cujo
Pet Semetary

I actually like most of Jason Blum's stuff....not that I disagree in that they're all similar but they all seem well done - decent acting, decent screenplay, good pace although slow at times, camera work is good. Just well done material as far as production value. Stories are played out and par for the most.....
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 04:14:06 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 04:22:15 PM »
From the wikis

The Changeling is a 1980 Canadian supernatural psychological horror film directed by Peter Medak and starring George C. Scott, Trish Van Devere, and Melvyn Douglas. Its plot follows an esteemed New York City composer who relocates to Seattle, where he moves into a mansion he comes to believe is haunted. The screenplay is based upon events that writer Russell Hunter claimed he experienced while he was living in the Henry Treat Rogers mansion in the Cheesman Park neighborhood of Denver, Colorado, in the late 1960s; Hunter served as a co-writer of the film.

Obviously an old, old film.  This is more my style when it comes to "Horror" flicks.  Grew up on all the old black and white Draculas, Mummies, Frankensteins etc.  As soon as that genre started moving to the hack em' up, how much blood can we show, and how realistic can we make an arm getting sliced off look...I turned it off.  Just not my thing.  This is one of those thrillers that make you jump at the smallest things.  With George C. as the lead, you know it's quality acting.     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 04:29:02 PM »
My favorites:

Halloween - To me that is where it all started.  Titties and masks FTW!

Blood Sucking Freaks - Definite B or maybe low C movie, but the hot dog scene at the end made it an instant classic.

Candyman - Set in a housing project...that was horror enough for me.  I never looked at a bee the same way again after seeing that one.

Dr. Giggles - Really loved it more for the comedy genius. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 04:36:07 PM »
Halloween - To me that is where it all started.  Titties and masks FTW!
Dude, I'm not going to lie.  There were times I'd close my eyes when I was with my girlfriend and think about PJ Soles in that bed sitting up and asking "see anything you like..."   And that was like, yesterday.   

If we're going low budget, schlock you can't leave out Motel Hell.  You just can't.  The most glorious titties I had and have ever seen on screen or in real life.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 04:38:07 PM »
Dude, I'm not going to lie.  There were times I'd close my eyes when I was with my girlfriend and think about PJ Soles in that bed sitting up and asking "see anything you like..."  And that was like, yesterday. 

If we're going low budget, schlock you can't leave out Motel Hell.  You just can't.  The most glorious titties I had and have ever seen on screen or in real life. 

Nina Axelrods fun bags?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 04:40:49 PM »
Dude, I'm not going to lie.  There were times I'd close my eyes when I was with my girlfriend and think about PJ Soles in that bed sitting up and asking "see anything you like..."  And that was like, yesterday. 

Are you talking about this Motel Hell?

HORROR

Because if you are, I was just about to post that this had to be the dumbest fuck, cheesiest horror flick I've ever seen.  It culminates with the big chainsaw fight in the cooler full of bodies on meat hooks, with the villain wearing the above pig's head.  Afterward, the girl asks, "Do you think we should call the police?"  I kicked the screen out of my TV.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 04:51:01 PM »
you mean she didn't want to get into the running car?
Are you crazy?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 04:52:04 PM »
look real close at the chain on that old McCulloh. It has no teeth. Fake shit!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 04:55:07 PM »
look real close at the chain on that old McCulloh. It has no teeth. Fake shit!
Yeah, but a bicycle chain can still cause a couple of nasty abrasions.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 04:59:46 PM »
Damn...forgot about Motel Hell.  Yes!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 06:03:40 PM »
Damn...forgot about Motel Hell.  Yes!
It's TERRIBLE.  I know that.  But so is Rocky Horror and I watch it every single year.  

Motel Hell has Rory Calhoun, a cowboy movie icon.  It's got Beulah Ballbricker from Porky's.  It's got the lamest of the CHiPs cops.   It's got Cliff Claven buried up to his neck in a garden.  It's got Elaine Joyce from Match Game.  And it's got them insane titties.  Now credit where credit's due, if you've ever seen Teresa Palmer's titties, they are right there, just as good.  Maybe better.  

But when this movie came out?  Yeah. Boobs. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions