Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Oooooh, here's one sure to start controversy...

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Oooooh, here's one sure to start controversy...
« on: October 28, 2020, 03:19:36 PM »
But all in fun and always good debate.....have talked to several on here about this off the board but its always a good discussion.

Between Snags' Useless Interesting Facts thread and having watched last years RnR HOF induction show this past weekend, I got to pondering what some of the most underrated, and most overrated musical acts of all time were. Its funny that when they do the inductions every year I almost always put them into one of the two categories - nowhere in the middle because the usual suspects and obvious ones are already inducted.

One I noticed last year that got in was Def Leppard.....do what?? They were not already there? But the Hey Mickey chick is? Da fokk..?

This puts Def Leppard squarely in the underrated field to me. And I think they really are. Van Halen is too but their music has aged well over time and are getting their due as being an all time top 10 band by most standards.

Others underrated to me: Beach Boys, Kinks, Def Leppard as previously mentioned, Roxy Music, Tears for Fears, Crowded House, Soundgarden/Chris Cornell, Notorious BIG, The Who, Duran Duran, Bruno Mars, Prince.

Overrated? KISS. Thats it, just KISS.

Oh, and Patti Smyth/Scandal - never understood the infatuation with her. And also Babs Streisand. She's good if you wanna take a nap I guess.

Whats say you? Anybody on here like KISS? Anyone? Buehler?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Re: Oooooh, here's one sure to start controversy...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 03:23:51 PM »
I'll give you a band from the "hair" era of the 80s that deserves another listen - KEEL. Check out 1985's "The Final Frontier." Killer sound and great vocals.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 03:31:33 PM »
Not gonna drag me down that rabbit hole again. 

There was one 80s band I thought had potential.  Kingdom Come.  German band (I think) that sounded eerily like Led Zeppelin. Maybe so much like LZ they couldn't overcome it, I don't know.  I'm probably the only one who's ever even heard of them.  Splash and fizzle.

But I think we're doing the world a grave disservice if we don't dip into the funk waters of Earth Wind and Fire, Gap Band, Dazz Band, Midnight Star, Atlantic Star, Morris Day, Kool and the Gang and others of that era.  We've talked rock endlessly.  We haven't really touched on Gap.  

One of the best songs/videos ever.  

« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 03:34:04 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 03:36:44 PM »

You can omit KISS from my list...it was purely to get you to comment...in fact KISS is very good at what they do - entertaining and stadium spectacles.

Speaking of LZ, there is a modern band now that sounds just like them - Greta Van Fleet. They barely get a mention in radio stations and in the media yet they're wildly popular on downloads and streams. They almost sound too damn much like LZ.

Add Greta and Black Crowes to the underrated Column please. Oh, and also Earth Wind and Fire since you mentioned that genre. I dig the Gap Band....I know that You Dropped a Bomb on Me is the obvious one but they have others that are great too - Early in the Morning is good. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 03:40:14 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 03:43:23 PM »

You can omit KISS from my list...it was purely to get you to comment...in fact KISS is very good at what they do - entertaining and stadium spectacles.

Speaking of LZ, there is a modern band now that sounds just like them - Greta Van Fleet. They barely get a mention in radio stations and in the media yet they're wildly popular on downloads and streams. They almost sound too damn much like LZ.

Add Greta and Black Crowes to the underrated Column please. Oh, and also Earth Wind and Fire since you mentioned that genre. I dig the Gap Band....I know that You Dropped a Bomb on Me is the obvious one but they have others that are great too - Early in the Morning is good.
Egg Zachary.  First time I heard Greta, I thought it was a LZ cover band.  Vocals and guitar style are eerily similar.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 03:46:15 PM »
Egg Zachary.  First time I heard Greta, I thought it was a LZ cover band.  Vocals and guitar style are eerily similar.

There have to be a few old ragtime tunes from when were a kid at the turn of the century before last - that you think deserve more due. Old memories of horses outside saloons and such. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 03:55:59 PM »
I guess I'm gonna have to be the white boy that gets up on the stump for Morris Day and the MUTHAFUCKIN Time!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 04:01:26 PM »
It's hard for me to ever claim overrated for a band/act because music is just so damned subjective.  It's all a matter of personal taste.  AU1 is a huge Isbell fan.  Seen the guy like 427 times.  I've tried his music out several times and it's just not my thing.  Wes sampled it and loved him.  That's fine, knock yourself out and enjoy.  Not a sound that I particularly care for.  What gives me the atomic wedgies is posting something and saying, "Hey check these guys out" (Not in a gay way) and someone coming back with "Holy shit, that sucks donkey sack".  I like what I like.  I've never had some headphones on, listening to my jams....yeah, I said my jams....and thought, "Gee, I really hope the guys on the X will like this."

As for underrated, Extreme is one of my all time favorite rock bands.  Everyone knows them for the two songs that got air play, More Than Words and Hole Hearted.  Both acoustic pop style songs.  That was the one and only times they did anything like that.  Otherwise, some of the best rock and overall guitar work (Nuno Bettancourt) I've heard.  They were around a long time. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 04:02:18 PM »
I guess I'm gonna have to be the white boy that gets up on the stump for Morris Day and the MUTHAFUCKIN Time!

I'm 50-something years old.  And STILL when that song comes on at the gym, Kaos can do the dance.  I still got that at least.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 04:02:38 PM »

In K's defense, he did mention them. And has often pimped them to me off the board. He loves him some Morris Day.....credits him for most of Prince's success in fact.

Ok, maybe that last part was exaggerating a tad. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 04:03:28 PM »
I'm 50-something years old.  And STILL when that song comes on at the gym, Kaos can do the dance.  I still got that at least. 

Wait, Jungle Love comes on at your gym?

I wanna work out with you Cowboy. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 04:07:31 PM »
When that song comes on, I still gots the white boy overbite.

White Man's Overbite - a photo on Flickriver
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 04:35:17 PM »
When that song comes on, I still gots the white boy overbite.

White Man's Overbite - a photo on Flickriver

is that the white boy equivalent to white girl duck face?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 04:55:26 PM »
I guess I'm gonna have to be the white boy that gets up on the stump for Morris Day and the MUTHAfudgeIN Time!

OEOEO
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 04:56:28 PM »
I am partial to Freddie Fleet and his band with a beat
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2020, 04:58:12 PM »

Wait, Jungle Love comes on at your gym?

I wanna work out with you Cowboy.
They're letting me tinker with the playlist.  

I'm throwing horror rock in there this week.  Dragula. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2020, 05:34:53 PM »

Now lookahere Jim - Mr Fleet,  he digs you....so you be nice and dig him back now, ya here?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2020, 05:41:18 PM »
Bobby Fleet is partial to them too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions