dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Re: It's raining men
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 07:17:35 PM »
Trying not to get too excited. Expect G League to write a check.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 10:39:36 AM »
Trying not to get too excited. Expect G League to write a check.
I imagine Bruce can beat that pay for one season. #WeAreABasketballSchoolNow
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 12:20:23 PM »
I can't confirm but someone told me this morning that Bruce has offered a 4* combo guard out of Orlando.  Kid was like 6'5".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 12:31:44 PM »
I can't confirm but someone told me this morning that Bruce has offered a 4* combo guard out of Orlando.  Kid was like 6'5".
I love Combo's.  Especially the pretzel flavored.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 02:12:50 PM »
so we have 2 coaches who can recruit lights out (except for OL/DL the last 2 years but anyway) but one of them can actually COACH the talent - Imagine that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 11:21:22 AM »
Bruce picks up a 7' center.

Boom...yawn...boom.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 11:33:21 AM »
Bruce picks up a 7' center.

Boom...yawn...boom.
Don't see that anywhere on the sites.  Who else committed?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

wesfau2

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 11:51:40 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2020, 11:56:12 AM »
I hear there's a nice house in Alabaster that may have just opened up for his family to move into.  Would already have that Hawaiian homey feel for them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2020, 12:06:29 PM »
I hear there's a nice house in Alabaster that may have just opened up for his family to move into.  Would already have that Hawaiian homey feel for them.
Cheatin' at basketball.  Ur doin' it rite.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2020, 12:14:59 PM »
If they play Rona Ball this season, all indications are these guys are going to be fun to watch.  Incredible freshman class coming in....on paper anyway.  I think it's 4 top 125 guys.  Two are 6'10" and one of them is named JT Thor.  Come on, how cool is that.  The lone 3* signee is a sharp shooter from Kentucky.  If Okoro had stayed, I'd be like...Final 4????
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2020, 04:08:48 PM »
The 7 footer is skinny.  210lbs but he doesn't look all stiff  and he can handle the ball very well.  I don't believe this is some project kid like Gus would recruit.  I think once he gets in our S&T program he will be a beast. 

Some notes from Bruce:

** Good to be back. Had a good summer. Tried to have as normal a summer and fall as possible considering COVID. Guys had about a 28-day period of acclimation when they returned. Just working one person at a time. By this summer, they started integrating more players together step by step. Kids were patient. Did great work in the weight room.

** Vast majority of team has not had COVID, which Pearl thinks speaks loudly to their discipline and doing the right things. Thank God for that. The NCAA did a good job this fall starting to relax protocols.

** First game looks like Nov. 25 in Orlando. Exact makeup of field is still not finalized.

** Extremely proud of staff and players and students and fans for giving Auburn the opportunity to compete in the SEC. Over the last three years, AU has best road and neutral record in conference. We get a lot of credit because of our home-court advantage, but we're the best in the SEC away from home too. One of just four teams to win 25-plus games the last three years. Best non-conference record in SEC the last three years.

** Pearl mentioned all his former players over the past three years, but they've got a brand new team now. Lose top six players from last year.

** This is the youngest team he's had since he's been a D-I basketball coach. Players are competing hard, he likes their work ethic. SEC is returning a lot of good players, good teams. Going to be challenging.

** Most kids come in with offense ahead of defense. They've worked hard to improve. Complexities of defense on college and pro level are much more demanding. Really hard to learn. Working hard to teach them and practice on defense. Will have a long preseason to work on it. Probably won't have preseason games, private games.

** Justin Powell is doing well, competing at point. Giving 2-4 guys looks at point. Has more ability than he thought. Can handle ball well, shoot, has good instincts. Has comeback well from injury.

** Damon Davis does a great job training the players and getting them in shape, adding weight. Still got a few guys that are a little light in the shorts.

** Player leadership is everything when it comes to winning championships. It's a challenge because the most experienced returning players didn't get a ton of reps last year. They all have strong personalities and leadership abilities, but it will have to evolve. Wants to let it play out.

** Jamal Johnson has probably improved the most of anybody from last season, worked hard on his defense and athleticism. Doing little things off the ball. He has a chance to be one of our leaders.**

Go ahead and give the man a statue and lifetime contract!!

Now, excuse me.  I have to take care of this rise in my jeans. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2020, 04:51:45 PM »
No doubt this team is young, like Sir Bruce said.  I think we're going to see a lot of true freshmen on the floor and may have some growing pains.  Or groin pains. But the reality is that's the way so much of basketball in general is moving. Kids are so much more mature (From a basketball sense) coming out of high school and ready to step right in and compete. 

I was reading an interview with JT Thor.  He said he's patterned his game after Kevin Durant in that he works on his jumper, at 6'10", more than anything.  People expect him to post up at that size but he likes to pull his man away from the basket and take him one on one.  Money!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2020, 05:22:07 PM »
Heights and weights guy strikes again.  These are most of the guys on the roster I expect to contribute.  Akingbola is still a project but I imagine he'll fill in some to give some guys a breather.

Soph.  Babatunde Akingbola  6'10"  245

Soph. Devan Cambridge  6'6" 215

Frosh. Dylan Cardwell  6'11"  250

Frosh. Sharife Cooper  6'1"  180

Soph.  Allen Flanigan  6'6"  215

Jun. Javon Franklin  6'7"  220

Jun. Jamal Johnson  6'4"  195

Frosh.  Chris Moore  6'6"  240

Frosh.  Justin Powell  6'6"  205

Frosh.  JT Thor  6'10"  205

Soph.  Jaylin Williams  6'8"  230

Naturally, Sharife Cooper is the 5* stud. Thor and Cardwell came in with a lot of hype as well.  Chris Moore is an athletic wide body out of Arkansas and could provide some muscle inside.  Justin Powell is one that intrigues me.  He's described as a shooting guard and that may be his forte.  But I just watched 3-4 minutes of film on him and yes, he's got a smooth stroke from outside, but he's got an all around game.  The kid went inside a ton and he sees the floor really well, making some incredible passes.  He said Cooper already dubbed him the "Silent Assassin."

This is going to be fun. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2020, 12:01:05 PM »
Heights and weights guy strikes again.  These are most of the guys on the roster I expect to contribute.  Akingbola is still a project but I imagine he'll fill in some to give some guys a breather.

Soph.  Babatunde Akingbola  6'10"  245

Soph. Devan Cambridge  6'6" 215

Frosh. Dylan Cardwell  6'11"  250

Frosh. Sharife Cooper  6'1"  180

Soph.  Allen Flanigan  6'6"  215

Jun. Javon Franklin  6'7"  220

Jun. Jamal Johnson  6'4"  195

Frosh.  Chris Moore  6'6"  240

Frosh.  Justin Powell  6'6"  205

Frosh.  JT Thor  6'10"  205

Soph.  Jaylin Williams  6'8"  230

Naturally, Sharife Cooper is the 5* stud. Thor and Cardwell came in with a lot of hype as well.  Chris Moore is an athletic wide body out of Arkansas and could provide some muscle inside.  Justin Powell is one that intrigues me.  He's described as a shooting guard and that may be his forte.  But I just watched 3-4 minutes of film on him and yes, he's got a smooth stroke from outside, but he's got an all around game.  The kid went inside a ton and he sees the floor really well, making some incredible passes.  He said Cooper already dubbed him the "Silent Assassin."

This is going to be fun.
Akingbola is actually a pretty good player. Another out of our mceachern pipeline. His big issue the last 1-2 years has been visa issues visiting Nigeria. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2020, 03:27:43 PM »
https://twitter.com/AuburnMBB/status/1328788991059972096

Another 5* signs.  Or did we know about this one?  I've lost track.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2020, 03:38:41 PM »
https://twitter.com/AuburnMBB/status/1328788991059972096

Another 5* signs.  Or did we know about this one?  I've lost track.
I don't Twatter so I couldn't see it.  Looking it up:

Jabari Smith.

6'10" 215

24.5 ppg  10.8 rpg  2.8 blocked shots per game

War Bruce.  I really think we need to enjoy this before the NCAA shuts us down.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2020, 03:52:22 PM »
Nice 247 piece on our back court and specifically, Justin Powell.  I watched some film on him a few weeks ago and the quotes about him in this article were spot on from what I saw.  Yes, he can spot up and drain the 3, but he seemed just as effective getting into the lane and either getting his shot up or dishing.  Not flashy, just great all around skills.  The kind of player you wonder, "Wait, how did this guy hang 20 on us?"

Sharpshooting freshman adds to Auburn's point-guard depth
ByNathan King Nov 16, 1:55 PM

AUBURN, Alabama — A lights-out shooter in Kentucky, Justin Powell appears to be expanding his backcourt capabilities heading into his true freshman season at Auburn.

As Auburn’s 2020-21 season opener against Saint Joseph’s on Thanksgiving draws nearer, it seems Powell will be relied upon to play a valuable role in his first year with the team — and he won’t be limited to his recruited position of shooting guard. Bruce Pearl has been experimenting with a handful of looks at point guard, and Powell has been part of those rotations as he's shown Auburn's coaching staff advanced skills as a facilitator to complement his signature shot-making abilities.

“I'm trying to give two or three or even four guys an opportunity to see what that point guard position is going to look like,” Pearl said last month. “So he's (Powell) got more ball-handling, decision-making, playmaking, reads out of ball screen ability that I thought he did. He's obviously a terrific shooter. He's got a really high basketball IQ.”

Pearl is replacing his starting point guard with a newcomer for the first time since Jared Harper took over as a freshman in 2016-17 prior to being a three-year starter for the Tigers at the position. J'Von McCormick sat behind Harper for one season before performing well as Auburn’s top floor general last season, with 11.7 points, 4.5 assists and 4.0 rebounds per game.

Five-star freshman phenom Sharife Cooper — the highest-rated signee in Auburn basketball history — figures to be the heir apparent at the position. But how will the minutes be distributed behind him? Sophomore Tyrell "Turbo" Jones was a highly recruited, high-scoring point guard in Auburn’s 2019 class. Then there’s Powell, who is expected to be a strong 3-point shooter off the bench in his freshman season.

Jones said the young, three-deep point guard room has been feeding off each other in the preseason. Like many other rotations on Auburn’s roster this coming season, they’re largely inexperienced but contain high-level recruits with lots of potential for growth.

“All of us have been doing pretty good,” Jones said, “and we’re just learning from each other.”

Powell comes to Auburn from Prospect, Kentucky, where he excelled at North Oldham High School and finished his recruiting process as the No. 2 player in the state, per 247Sports Composite rankings.

Powell’s teammates have already seen an impact from the freshman in his short time spent on campus leading up to the Tigers’ 2020-21 season. He’s a 3-point marksman through and through, but like Pearl said, Powell has opened some eyes around the practice facilities with his ability to create for the Tigers’ offense away from the ball and as a passer, too.

“He can shoot really well, but his offensive IQ — his IQ is really good,” junior guard Jamal Johnson said of Powell. “He can pass, makes the right plays, isn’t really trying to do too much. When it's time to score and make a shot or something, or create for somebody else or create for himself, he can do that too. I mean, he's very poised, very smooth for a freshman.”

Sophomore Devan Cambridge, whom Powell could spend a lot of time backing up this season at the 2-guard slot, said he thinks the freshman will eventually play out as an off guard due to his scoring abilities, but he understands why his head coach will flex Powell to play some point guard this year to help the team.

“I like him better as a two (shooting guard),” Cambridge said. “As a two, he's very dominant like just being able to catch and shoot. He can create his own shot. (inaudible) has a good handle. But you know we need him, and I think B.P. (Pearl) needs him to play the point, as well."

A groin injury sidelined Powell in January. Pearl said he thinks his freshman guard would have won Mr. Basketball in Kentucky had the injury not kept him from playing a true senior season.

Even with COVID-19 restrictions complicating matters in the early parts of the summer, Auburn’s medical staff has worked effectively with Powell on his recovery, Pearl said. The coach is excited to see how Powell can contribute in various spots in Auburn’s backcourt as soon as the 2020-21 seasons tips off next week.

“He came back here in the summer, and he wasn't completely 100 percent ready,” Pearl said of Powell’s injury. “But he worked through this summer; our trainer, Clark Pearson, and strength coach Damon Davis, as well as the doctors and Justin, have done a really nice job to the point where he's good to go.”

Set to be broadcast on FS1, Auburn’s opening game against Saint Joe’s will take place in Fort Myers, Florida, as part of a multi-team invitational at Suncoast Credit Union Arena. The event will also see Auburn face Gonzaga, ranked No. 1 in the season-opening AP poll, the day after Thanksgiving.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions