Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Well Shit!!!

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Well Shit!!!
« on: October 06, 2020, 04:09:51 PM »
Guitarist Eddie Van Halen, co-founder of legendary rock band Van Halen, of died Tuesday from complications due to throat cancer, his son confirmed. He was 65 years old.

“He was the best father I could ever ask for,” Wolfgang Van Halen wrote on Twitter. “Every moment I’ve shared with him on and off stage was a gift. My heart is broken and I don’t think I’ll ever fully recover from this loss."
pic.twitter.com/kQqDV7pulR
— Wolf Van Halen (@WolfVanHalen) October 6, 2020
Content Continues Below

According to TMZ, Eddie Van Halen died at St. Johns Hospital in Santa Monica, California, with his wife, son and older brother, drummer Alex Van Halen, by his side. The tabloid reported doctors had discovered cancer had traveled from the rocker’s throat to his brain and other organs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Well Shit!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 04:51:25 PM »
this one hurts.....bad.

EVH is absolutely one of my all time favorites...all time top 3 easily. He was transformative...and if you were a kid or young adult of the 80s, you have crazy but sustaining memories of Eddie and Roth in the Jump video doing crazy shit. This year just sucks and this is a horrible bookend to it. Seriously, this one cuts deep. 

True rock god.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 05:56:26 PM »
this one hurts.....bad.

EVH is absolutely one of my all time favorites...all time top 3 easily. He was transformative...and if you were a kid or young adult of the 80s, you have crazy but sustaining memories of Eddie and Roth in the Jump video doing crazy shit. This year just sucks and this is a horrible bookend to it. Seriously, this one cuts deep.

True rock god.
Lucky enough to see em' twice, although the second time was when Gary Cherone of Extreme was in a brief stint as the lead singer.  I'm with ya' on all that. I remember their debut album coming out pretty much at the height of Disco.  Good hard driving rock has always been my first love in music and this was like an oasis in the desert.  You had to search hard for anything new that rocked your face.  And here was this kick ass album that had a guitarist with the most unique sound and style anyone had ever heard. 

Speaking of Extreme, lead guitarist, Nuno Bettancourt, is one of my all-time favorite rock guitarists.  With some of their early stuff in the 80's, it's clear that there's a shitload of EVH influence in his style. 

Yeah, this one sucks.      
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 06:30:22 PM »
remember that time when Eddie was invited to join KISS back in the late 70s?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Re: Well shoot!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 07:08:24 PM »
I never got to see Van Halen in concert, and I’m so bummed. 

I did get to see Sammy play at the Hard Rock in Vegas, and halfway through the set, Michael Anthony came out, and then played nothing but VH songs for the next two hours. 

The first vinyl I bought was 1984 (bought it with Pyromania). 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 08:03:06 PM »

I did get to see Sammy play at the Hard Rock in Vegas, and halfway through the set, Michael Anthony came out, and then played nothing but VH songs for the next two hours.

Holy shit.  Sammy and Anthony in Vegas?  I soooo need the t-shirt.  Sammy fronted Montrose back in the early 70’s.  One of the baddest assed rock songs ever made was Rock Candy From their debut album.  Hell it may have been their only album.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 08:24:05 PM »

Hell yeah man. For me it was 1984, Hysteria and Appetite for Destruction. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 10:27:07 PM »
Hell yeah man. For me it was 1984, Hysteria and Appetite for Destruction.
Ya'll are children.  

My uncle gave me three albums to start my descent when he left for college.  I was eight or nine at the time. 

Stones 'Let it Bleed', Paul Revere and the Raiders 'Just Like Us', Beatles 'Hard Day's Night'

On my own I quickly loaded up Led Zeppelin 1 and 2, Jimi Hendrix, Sabbath and it was all over. 

Rock and roll was here to stay.   

Van Halen was part of it for me.  A big part.  If there was a soundtrack to my life, there would be a lot of Van Halen (and even the Roth solo work) on it.  Back in about 1982-ish I was riding shotgun in my friend's beige Cutlass Supreme with a girl in my lap, two girls and another guy in the back seat and several boxes full of fireworks scattered around us.  We were dropping bottle rockets (the fat ass ones) into capped PVC pipes and shooting them out the windows.  With Van Halen Diver Down jammed in the 8-track and blaring over the Blaupunkts we'd installed in the back window and under the front seats, I took dropped a rocket, climbed out the window, sat on the frame and aimed over the roof of the car.  Just as the rocket spewed flame and began to roar out of the PVC tube I saw, too late, it was a cop.  Hit his window and in a burst of perfect timing exploded just as it bounced off.  That ended with one of the few times I've had a gun drawn on me.  Face down at the car wash with Deputy Doofus drawn down on us and screaming. 

Soundtrack moment.  

I really regret that I didn't get to see them in their prime.  It just never worked out.  Other than the Stones (too old), Beatles (broken up), Pink Floyd (never had the chance), ELO (don't know why) and Fleetwood Mac (just didn't) I've seen pretty much every other band that ever made an impact on me (including Gap Band and some other funk acts).  I saw Van Halen, but it was the over-the-hill version and Roth was a rickety shell of his former self.  

It hurt my soul when I found out Eddie checked out.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 01:05:33 AM »
Often imitated, but never duplicated.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 08:09:51 AM »
This one hits hard.  First concert I ever saw was Van Halen on the "Hide your Sheep" tour in support of the "Diver Down" album. (Which most people don't like but I still love to this day)  Most people don't realize that the song "Cathedral" on that album is not a synthesizer but EVH playing the guitar by turning the volume up and down repeatedly on the amp while he fingers the notes.  Give it a listen keeping that in the back of your mind.  EVH was an innovator!

July 22, 1982 Birmingham Jefferson civic center.  Convinced my oldest brother to take me.  A twelve year old should not have been at that concert, I couldn't hear someone on the other end of the telephone for three days afterwards, and I came home with a whole new appreciation of titties!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 08:31:40 AM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2020, 09:50:39 AM »
This one hits hard.  First concert I ever saw was Van Halen on the "Hide your Sheep" tour in support of the "Diver Down" album. (Which most people don't like but I still love to this day)  Most people don't realize that the song "Cathedral" on that album is not a synthesizer but EVH playing the guitar by turning the volume up and down repeatedly on the amp while he fingers the notes.  Give it a listen keeping that in the back of your mind.  EVH was an innovator!

July 22, 1982 Birmingham Jefferson civic center.  Convinced my oldest brother to take me.  A twelve year old should not have been at that concert, I couldn't hear someone on the other end of the telephone for three days afterwards, and I came home with a whole new appreciation of titties!
I was listening to Little Guitars from Diver Down last night.  Great album.  A bit of a departure from their earlier work and went more mainstream with a lot of it. 

I was taking guitar lessons from a guy about that time and he was showing me how EVH did some of those licks.  I asked him if we could get back to Home On the Range and Amazing Grace.  My musical mind doesn't function in that universe.

And you're absolutely right.  Davis Lee Roth had some nice titties.  I was more of an ass man, myself.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

TraAccib

Well shoot
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 10:14:06 AM »
still looking for people that play, not many are open to the idea.  I get some hazing for asking people if theyd like to as well.  Just a bunch of red necks and people you think theyre too smart for it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Well shoot
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 10:35:19 AM »
still looking for people that play, not many are open to the idea.  I get some hazing for asking people if theyd like to as well.  Just a bunch of red necks and people you think theyre too smart for it.
You might want to check with WT.  I hear he loves to play with the cocks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Well shoot
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 10:42:10 AM »
You might want to check with WT.  I hear he loves to play with the cocks.
Oh trust me, he does.

Wait......I mean, I heard that too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions