Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

B1G Football Goes Conference Only

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
B1G Football Goes Conference Only
« on: July 10, 2020, 07:37:39 AM »
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29435295/source-big-ten-moving-conference-only-model-all-sports-fall

Big Ten moving to conference-only model for all sports this fall

The Big Ten on Thursday announced it will go to a conference-only season for all fall sports, including football, amid "unprecedented times" during the coronavirus pandemic.

"We are facing uncertain and unprecedented times, and the health, safety and wellness of our student-athletes, coaches, game officials, and others associated with our sports programs and campuses remain our number one priority," the Big Ten said in a statement.

"... By limiting competition to other Big Ten institutions, the Conference will have the greatest flexibility to adjust its own operations throughout the season and make quick decisions in real-time based on the most current evolving medical advice and the fluid nature of the pandemic."

The Big Ten is the first of the Power 5 conferences to make this type of a major change to its fall sports. The SEC on Thursday said it continues to meet with campus leaders "to determine the best path forward" for fall sports, and Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said in a statement that he has been advised to "move ahead slowly" and plan "for all available scenarios." Meanwhile, the ACC has already said it would delay all fall sports until at least Sept. 1.

SEC league officials and athletic directors are scheduled to meet early next week but have no plans to make any decisions on the fall schedule, sources confirmed to ESPN. SI.com was first to report the meeting.
"We will talk concepts, just like we have since the beginning, and those concepts have to be more serious given the shifting landscape," an SEC AD told ESPN. "But everything remains fluid, and no one believes right now that we have to [shorten the season to just league games] like the Big Ten did."

The Ivy League on Wednesday ruled out playing all sports this fall.

If college football can be played this fall, Big Ten presidents and athletic directors preferred the conference-only model, which will eliminate some long-distance travel and help ensure teams are being tested for the coronavirus universally, multiple sources inside the league and around college football told ESPN.

Other sports affected include men's and women's cross country, field hockey, men's and women's soccer and women's volleyball.
The new conference-only schedules for all fall sports will be released at a later date, the Big Ten said. The conference also said it would continue to evaluate other sports.

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said he would be in favor of playing 10 conference football games.
"I'm hopeful that's where we end up next week in locking that down," Smith said Thursday. "We've talked about that, and that's our preference."

Smith said if they're able to play in September, but something happens later in the month or in October, "we can hit the pause button and provide a window of opportunity for our student-athletes not to be put at risk.

"We can move games," Smith said. "... There's a flexibility -- I can't say that enough. That's significant."
TL;DR - Big Ten just playing itself this fall (if they play at all). ACC and PAC12 expected to follow.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: B1G Football Goes Conference Only
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 09:50:53 AM »
ACC has delayed the foosball season until at least Sept. 1 as of now.  I wonder how that will affect the UNC game if they don't go to a conference only or cancel altogether?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 11:46:51 AM »
ACC has delayed the foosball season until at least Sept. 1 as of now.  I wonder how that will affect the UNC game if they don't go to a conference only or cancel altogether?

I just am glad to learn COVID-19 can't spread during conference games. Who knew?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 03:57:28 PM »
I just am glad to learn COVID-19 can't spread during conference games. Who knew?
What do conference games and "peaceful protests" have in common, Alex?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 04:38:42 PM »
Pffffft!!!  Covid can only be spread at a Trump rally.  Everybody knows that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 05:30:11 PM »
Alabama to play 10 A-day games, claims 730th NC.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'