Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

I'm not made for this....

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: I'm not made for this....
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2019, 08:53:45 PM »
I was thinking about this Tuesday night while out at the world famous National Peanut Festival.  Went in one of the exhibit buildings and there was a booth there that had two absolutely beautiful Australian Shepherds.  They had these vests on with pockets you could put money in and the cash is supposed to go to cancer research for dogs.  Cats too, I suppose.  Couldn't help but throw a few bucks in just for the opportunity to love on them for a few.

Aussies are bad ass, BTW.  I lived in Gentilly Trailer Park for a couple of years and our next door neighbor had an Aussie named Mike.  He stayed at our trailer more than his owner's.  Every time I would go jogging, Mike would come out and run with me, staying a few feet in front.  There were all kinds of dogs in that park and it was his mission any time one came running out, to either beat the shit out of them or at the very least, administer a stern but fair lecture.

Mike was cool.
If there were a like button....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2019, 09:55:37 PM »
That sucks in all the worst ways, K.  I'm sorry for your loss.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2019, 10:30:36 PM »
Thanks to all of you.  

It's weird.  I guess I'll get used to it, but I left a meeting early to come home to let him in. I knew he'd want to be inside because it was storming.  And about halfway home it hit me that he wasn't out there.  

I don't know about a new dog. Maybe. In a while.  I just can't imagine I could ever find one as even tempered, as laid back, as quietly supporting and as easy to care for as Tucker.  Wasn't really a dog so much as he was a roommate that I had to feed. After the couch incident I can't remember him ever doing anything bad.  He didn't tear things up, dig holes, shit or piss in the house, or anything.  I didn't have to train him.  He just knew instinctively when he got in my truck to sit in his seat, look out the window and enjoy the ride.  Well, he did dig a red-dirt tunnel under his house one summer and lived under there for a while.  Which sucked when it rained and filled the tunnel half up with water and he'd come swimming out covered in goo wanting to sit in your lap.  

Anyway, thanks for the kind words and thoughts.  He was a good dog and it would make him really happy to know other people knew it.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2019, 01:01:44 PM »
Thanks to all of you. 

It's weird.  I guess I'll get used to it, but I left a meeting early to come home to let him in. I knew he'd want to be inside because it was storming.  And about halfway home it hit me that he wasn't out there. 

I don't know about a new dog. Maybe. In a while.  I just can't imagine I could ever find one as even tempered, as laid back, as quietly supporting and as easy to care for as Tucker.  Wasn't really a dog so much as he was a roommate that I had to feed. After the couch incident I can't remember him ever doing anything bad.  He didn't tear things up, dig holes, shit or piss in the house, or anything.  I didn't have to train him.  He just knew instinctively when he got in my truck to sit in his seat, look out the window and enjoy the ride.  Well, he did dig a red-dirt tunnel under his house one summer and lived under there for a while.  Which sucked when it rained and filled the tunnel half up with water and he'd come swimming out covered in goo wanting to sit in your lap. 

Anyway, thanks for the kind words and thoughts.  He was a good dog and it would make him really happy to know other people knew it. 

I get it dude. The older I get the more I like dogs - than people. They don’t care. They don’t judge you. They just love ya. With no caveats.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2020, 11:12:37 PM »
Kids gave me a stuffed animal for Christmas.   

It’s uncanny. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2020, 10:18:17 PM »
Here we go again.  My oldest girl's dog woke up wobbly Sunday.  Not normal.  

Dog has been with us more than 16 years and was an adult when she showed up at our house back then.  She's been my girl's pretty much constant companion.  I don't remember not having her around, honestly.  Entirely possible the dog is 20+. 

Took her to emergency vet.  Advanced cancer.  Nothing they can do. 

I don't get it.  Saturday night she was running around the house.  Jumping from the couch over to the coffee table to get into a plate of food my kid left.  Going up and down the stairs.  Begging for food.  Just being normal.   

Sunday morning at 5:15 she was standing outside my bedroom door making rumbling sounds.  Head down.  Tail down. Eyes unfocused.   Has been feeble and just standing around staring ever since.  Looks utterly miserable.  If she's no better tomorrow, she's going in for the last time I guess.  

Sitting here listening to my daughter sobbing on the porch.  Dog just standing next to her staring off into space.  

I don't know what to do.  I don't know how to fix it.  

Son of a bitch.   

2020 blows. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2020, 06:46:00 AM »
Damn I hate that for you man.  I fear that we have an episode of this coming in the not too distant future as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2020, 08:22:54 AM »
Damn dude. Not again. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2020, 09:41:25 AM »
Awful.  Sorry you have to go through it so soon.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2020, 11:15:37 AM »
She's gonna have to put her down today.  Got worse overnight.  Neck swollen really badly. 

Not gonna bore you with a ton of the sentimental "great dog" stories but I do have one. 

In Christmas Story, Old Man Parker was a turkey connoisseur.  My dad was a ham aficionado.  He waited eagerly every year for ham season which started with a Thanksgiving ham which was followed by a Christmas ham, followed by a New Year's ham.  Not long after would come the Easter ham after which he entered the long hamless desert that stretched at least until July and the possibility of a Fourth of July ham with potato salad. 

Mid-summer 2005 or so, Gracie showed up at our house.  We don't know where she came from. Nobody ever claimed her, but she claimed us.  Just a odd-looking black dog with a curly tail that parked itself on the doormat of our front porch and had no intention of leaving.  The timing was strange, we'd had two dogs (weird dogs) that had died within a month or so of each other and didn't have a pet.  One of the dogs that had died was a large black dog that was allegedly the son of a dalmation. The other was a little brown hound/feist/whatever mix.  This new dog that showed up was essentially the same shape as the little one and the same color as the big one.  My girls convinced themselves that God had sent this pup to take the place of those two, that she carried them in her soul. 

Dog was nice enough and friendly enough.  But it had an independent, stubborn streak. It sometimes liked to be alone and would disappear for days. Would just show back up, covered in burrs and mud. Happy as hell.  It also severely punished any transgressions it felt had been dealt. Leaving it alone was the most egregious foul you could commit. Leave her in the house by herself?  Shit in the middle of my bed.  Shit in my ex wife's shoes.  Shredded garbage. Shit right in front of the television.  Don't tell me dogs aren't vindictive. This one knew exactly what it was doing. 

So Thanksgiving comes.  Over the river and through the woods. Time to go to see the grands for a few days.  My parents have a big house, large lot.  Girls are afraid to leave this dog at the house because she will probably run off and they're worried about her not making it home.  Damn sure can't leave her in the house for a week-long shit-a-palooza.  My parents are like, just bring her.  We love dogs. 

It's a four-hour drive.  Dog is great on the trip.  Just rides in the back looking out the window. 

Get to my parent's Tuesday night.  Dog perfectly behaved, doesn't shit everywhere, stands at the door and quietly, politely asks to go out.  Parents are enamored. 

Thanksgiving.  Mom has been cooking since 6 a.m. for the noon lunch.  Ham came out of the oven about 10:30 and she put it on the counter to cool.  You know where this is heading. 

The kitchen has wrap around counters.  One counter faces a sitting room.  There's a couch with its back to the kitchen, a six-foot walkway gap separating it from the counter.  So basically you come out of the kitchen and can walk behind the couch to the window. 

It's nearing 11.  My brother and I are outside with our kids throwing the football. Dad's on the porch drinking tea, watching us with visions of ham on his mind.  He's already snuck four or five pieces of it.  Mom is inside finishing up.  Dog has been following behind her, watching her every move all morning.  "It's so cute," mom says.

Apparently mom went to change clothes or something.  Dad gets up to get a refill of the tea.  I hear the screen door screech and then slam back in that satisfying way only a wooden screen door can do.  The next thing I hear is this ungodly earth shaking noise.  It's like "GUUUUAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMFFFFFFFAAAAAKKKKKKKKK" 

I rush inside, girls hot on my heels afraid dad has had some kind of accident or medical event.  He's standing in the door of the dining room, facing the kitchen.  His face is a mask of rage and pain, his fists clenching and unclenching. 

I push past him and see, there on the counter, the dog.  Her head is buried in the pan of ham. Her entire body is jerking back and forth rapidly as she attacks the meat. Horrible smacking, gnawing and gulping noises fill the room.  It's like a lion ripping into the carcass of a dead wildebeest. 

I scream her name and her head pops up to look at me.  My girls have crowded in on either side of me and are screaming too.

Ham juice covers her black snout and drips from her jaws.  Her face literally glistens from warm ham drippings.  Her neck and chest are coated with ham fat and little chunks of shredded pink ham meat.  She stares at me briefly and barely hesitates before turning again to savagely attack the ham. 

When we advanced on her, she sprang from the counter and ran through the house dripping ham grease behind her like a blood trail.  It took us a good ten minutes to corral her and get her out the door.  She spent the rest of Thanksgiving staked to a tree as far away from the house and my dad's ire as we could put her. 

Thanksgiving was ruined.  My dad was beside himself.  There was no saving the ham from the damage she'd inflicted.  Apparently this dog climbed on the couch back and leaped six feet across the gap, somehow managing to correctly guesstimate the angle needed to slide onto the counter and not hit the cabinets that overhung it.  The gap wasn't big. It took skill.  Nobody really appreciated the effort that took.

We ended up leaving a day early because he just wasn't getting over it and the girls were worried about the dog getting rained on or running away or whatever.  Gracie was never again welcome at my parent's house.  It took my dad several years before he could forgive her and even tolerate her at my house on the few occasions they visited. 

It's funny to him now that enough time has passed.  When I talked to my dad this morning, he said "where ever she goes next, I hope there's plenty of ham."
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 11:17:54 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2020, 11:42:08 AM »
Sorry you're having to deal with that again. Never gets easier. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2020, 01:07:03 PM »
That is a great story!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2020, 02:29:47 PM »
Damn, K.  Hate to hear this, but thanks for sharing that story!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2020, 03:05:15 PM »
Ham! GIF - Pickle Surprise - Discover & Share GIFs
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2020, 04:34:27 PM »
Here's the newest addition to the Snags household.  An empty water jug is pretty much all this guy needs for hours of entertainment.  After we had to put one of our Pekingese pups down last year, the only thing you can do is go get another one.  The cool thing is that this fur ball does the exact same thing the other one did.  Come near him and he immediately hits his back, shows you that belly and says, "Here, getcha' some of this."

Image may contain: dog
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 04:41:31 PM by Snaggletiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2020, 05:03:57 PM »
Sorry you are dealing with this, especially so soon. They are family.

But I would not have gotten over that as quickly as your dad about the ham. I love my dogs and everything but I will kill them both with my bare hands over ham.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2020, 05:56:40 PM »
Here's the newest addition to the Snags household.  An empty water jug is pretty much all this guy needs for hours of entertainment.  After we had to put one of our Pekingese pups down last year, the only thing you can do is go get another one.  The cool thing is that this fur ball does the exact same thing the other one did.  Come near him and he immediately hits his back, shows you that belly and says, "Here, getcha' some of this."

Image may contain: dog
I do the exact same thing but I’m not wanting my belly rubbed.

What am I saying, you already know this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com